Kitchen Kit/Chuck Box

mjwhite03

photo-18.jpg

Here's my field kitchen set up out of the rain on vacation.. My wife was impressed with it.. and it worked like a charm.

RB
Why is it out of focus??

skipdup

What a great thread! Maybe a silly question... How come no one seems to have made one out of extruded aluminum/8020? Maybe too heavy?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Probably too heavy and more sturdy than necessary. I was using an aluminum tool box laid on its side. I've switched to a thin, molded ABS case originally for an electronic instrument. Unless I needed it to double as a stepstool, 80/20 feels like way overkill.

rayra

Expedition Leader
What a great thread! Maybe a silly question... How come no one seems to have made one out of extruded aluminum/8020? Maybe too heavy?
lot of wasted volume in lego-strut. And it is massive overkill. Especially as the box you are framing gets smaller.

--

Wish I could find the plywood chuck cabinet I saw here on expo a couple years ago, roughly 2' cubed maybe a little larger. It came with a nesting stand. When you lifted the box and flipped the stand over the box nested snugly inside the stand's legs. The top was two full-width leaves that hinged up and out, the front half two doors that opened out to the sides to support the opened top shelves. The stove was in the bottom iirc.
I do a lot of woodworking and think that I'd like to try building a couple of these designs. Or see if there are improvements to be made.

drrobinson

Lots of people building drawer systems / kitchens out of 80/20.

Not too heavy if you stay with the 10 series (1”).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

whitenoise

Adventurer
Good choice if it's vehicle-attached and not unloaded each time you want to use it. I got tired of handling even a 50lb plastic chuck box, so you may want to estimate fully-loaded weight first. Chuck boxes get used 3 or more times a day so usability comes first... IMHO.

If building with plywood look into the "skin & bones" construction technique that helps cut down on weight. https://www.blueskykitchen.com/
(no affiliation)

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

LowKeyOverland

I use a Plano Sportsman 1919 box for all of my cooking stuff, which I bolted directly to my Gobi Stealth roof rack.

They're more than sturdy enough, but inexpensive (especially compared to Pelican-type boxes). Plus, they're water and dust-proof (at least after adding some weatherstripping around the lid just in case) and lockable in 4 places. I also use a couple of cardboard boxes inside for organization.

I have more details and the full inventory at https://lowkeyoverland.com/the-cooking-box/

z5X1YWSNssirR9FCABD_24ebr_jTongIhIZS5ao38PlZcZ3PUilwKmUE2tLYAVAu_sHne8juv5EcTXjd9X3xqr_vx4-9zs2WALMw9XDhvdqj4ZHx10GsumVPXhy31xGI90Th1POf8gOtczJcZqUZG_PASYe1CKx31Hl6DGCwBQT389IFDwvKkOqo7Ont3lBlir0IO6r6SaDk9eZ9-Z25Y2gw5Kjf3dN3BmFP5VgVTI1_T36oE-vAEXiloilST82nTdtiH0neibkPKsqINdyl-qA4euszpfcjNh3wJ35eEWwe_DzqwoXQHQBSH3mpym-URf1bM50kFe0xHzJRhWbADzu2MsaZsEiitD2dcpG31roqwiAeoHD4mfG-RiR2Pekj3Mtu0kfYtIvSaNqQq7M0-GDq1Nmz_zN_cxIhuGYEqY4Lh2mZDwaJgC_Ae3FYVslXzQJJ7JD7Zo8-QAfELf3DavRyJOVTKAIdIbfUMAkBJimfkv12RTIX7jujYBynMA7btmZ4GFa_3QfVJtW_AwJwjJNKc71cIobAe7Lo_gkTsGvKC0TOBo4fcIMsmfqMNiBWHRqJf7ZUOrYsrzs-Xibtuqu_wFO4mnFmX2_GQUE-Al04KX98rkfu_bKUsgugqSS71fFlonFFMfCLNCGxEXvCe6stTOchhMOVDv5HFZb0iV-dFnN2g-4AiYn-m67yS8vCdPCPaqi26fL-hcRu4yr2Vla2G_BqVHBoo7rBjPYLqNPBlmm663OLOYuM=w1346-h1009-no

Reactions: WVI

Redman333

Adventurer

I’ve started ordering extruded aluminum pieces for some other projects. I also ordered enough to have enough to build a chuck box with it also. I toyed with the idea of an extruded aluminum chick box before. Seems like it’s be a very versatile way to build one. If I get it built I’ll be sure to post it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the_alias

Mainly signed up here because wanted to see more Chuckbox/Patrol box ideas.

Thought I'd share my almost finished one as way of thanks to everyone on this forum for ideas and inspiration.

Mine isn't super pretty, I made a ton of mistakes going along but it is functional and not too heavy. Had never done anything like this before but with a friend some reading, and patience we got there.

I've got to decide how to secure the shelves (thinking probably shockcord) and maybe added some thin sheet metal to where the stove sits.

FcnChOJh.jpg

Scoutman

Explorer
I've been conceptualizing an 80/20 aluminum extrusion chuck box for some time now trying to figure out how to make it all work. I've made and used home made wooden boxes, pelican cases of various sizes, plano 56qt bins, and lately wolfpack boxes. I've never been truly happy with any of them and that was mainly because I typically operate off the back of my truck and every one of these required moving around, pulling lids off, and ended up a cavity of gear when things got scrambled. I've been toying with dividers for the wolfpack box lately but have kept this 80/20 project going in the background hoping it would be the final solution (if there ever is one). My wife hates the wolfpack boxes the most so convenience and access is key.

This is where I'm at now and am starting to put some pieces together over the past few days. I use this stuff at work a lot so I'm familiar with it and all the various connectors. I also have the ability to laser cut the walls/shelves for an exact fit. I still have to sort out wall/shelf material and a door latch but this has most of the details pinned down. I've decided to go with a removable swing door that's lined on the inside with sheet loop material so I can velcro pouches to it storing common kitchen items. Most of the dimensions of the box are driven from the width of the stove or the accumulated height of what we typically carry. I'm trying to give myself enough flexibility that if we want to rearrange items we can. Easy to clean, robust, and hold everything in one place are all things I'm going for. The most this typically moves is from the garage to the back of the truck and back again.

I'm looking at making the walls out of either 1/4" ply with a gasket, 1/4" coroplast (corrugated plastic sheet), ABS sheet, or ???. The shelves are supported by pilaster shelf strips with clips (screwed to the shelves) and are tucked into the corners of the main box. I will also work on some slot brackets on the sides so legs can be slipped in to make it freestanding. Thinking of using footman loops so they can double as tie downs.

Overkill? Probably, but given the price of some other kitchen kits out there this will be well under the cost of those and custom fit to my gear. I don't really see using 80/20 as a waste of space when compared to the walls of a pelican or wolfpack box as they are easily 1", although I'm sure it could be made thinner and lighter with just 1/4" ply. To each their own, do what makes you happy, suits your purpose, yada, yada....

Outside dimensions are 24.5" wide, 15" deep, and 22" tall.

campboxsnip.JPG

campboxsnip2.JPG

campboxsnip3.JPG

Last edited:

mtntrekker

Observer
I've been conceptualizing an 80/20 aluminum extrusion chuck box for some time now trying to figure out how to make it all work. I've made and used home made wooden boxes, pelican cases of various sizes, plano 56qt bins, and lately wolfpack boxes. I've never been truly happy with any of them and that was mainly because I typically operate off the back of my truck and every one of these required moving around, pulling lids off, and ended up a cavity of gear when things got scrambled. I've been toying with dividers for the wolfpack box lately but have kept this 80/20 project going in the background hoping it would be the final solution (if there ever is one). My wife hates the wolfpack boxes the most so convenience and access is key.

This is where I'm at now and am starting to put some pieces together over the past few days. I use this stuff at work a lot so I'm familiar with it and all the various connectors. I also have the ability to laser cut the walls/shelves for an exact fit. I still have to sort out wall/shelf material and a door latch but this has most of the details pinned down. I've decided to go with a removable swing door that's lined on the inside with sheet loop material so I can velcro pouches to it storing common kitchen items. Most of the dimensions of the box are driven from the width of the stove or the accumulated height of what we typically carry. I'm trying to give myself enough flexibility that if we want to rearrange items we can. Easy to clean, robust, and hold everything in one place are all things I'm going for. The most this typically moves is from the garage to the back of the truck and back again.

I'm looking at making the walls out of either 1/4" ply with a gasket, 1/4" coroplast (corrugated plastic sheet), ABS sheet, or ???. The shelves are supported by pilaster shelf strips with clips (screwed to the shelves) and are tucked into the corners of the main box. I will also work on some slot brackets on the sides so legs can be slipped in to make it freestanding. Thinking of using footman loops so they can double as tie downs.

Overkill? Probably, but given the price of some other kitchen kits out there this will be well under the cost of those and custom fit to my gear. I don't really see using 80/20 as a waste of space when compared to the walls of a pelican or wolfpack box as they are easily 1", although I'm sure it could be made thinner and lighter with just 1/4" ply. To each their own, do what makes you happy, suits your purpose, yada, yada....

Outside dimensions are 24.5" wide, 15" deep, and 22" tall.

View attachment 591829

View attachment 591830

View attachment 591831

How will you attach the pilaster shelf strips to the extrusion?
Have you thought out how you will do a latch and what type?
Thanks
Dale

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles