Kitchen Kit/Chuck Box

NevetsG

Same. The URL is the same as before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I click on the link in the responses, bad, but if I click on the original post and my new link, good. I can't fix the links in the responses, and if you are clicking on the new link, I have no idea why it isn't working beyond what I can reproduce. Sorry. Oh, you could also cut and paste the text into a browser and it will work.

Last edited:

tatanka48

that was 3 hours well spent

61 pages and a gazillion pics complete with some fine descriptions

let it be known that i WILL be stealing some of these ideas for future projects

whether camping in an SUV a trailer a boat a tent or whatever

these camp kitchens sure can make the experience even better

T

cmorrow

That’s good intel aaen.
I gotta ask, was your initial post related to my mentioning the gladiator system? I was under the impression that it was a Mopar accessory but have no idea who manufactures it for them.

Just in case you didn't realize it yet - yeah, that drawer system pictured in the Gladiator is a Decked setup. It may be coming as a Mopar accessory, but they are available now for most modern trucks.

huruta

I agree with others that this looks like a great option. We scored a Dosko Campmate off of Ebay and love it, but they are hard to find. This looks like an updated, available, option. (No affiliation with company.) Maybe they can do a Dosko-like one with swing out doors for a bigger option. The vertical camp kitchens like this are very functional.

My kitchen on my trailer. It’s built in a Zarges case mounted on its side. The two aluminum boxes beside are flight cases that airlines used to preload with food/drinks.

Attachments

• E829A05E-C858-4EA9-A94E-0DE769F575FF.jpeg
    E829A05E-C858-4EA9-A94E-0DE769F575FF.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 216

jhsquij

I just built my first chuck box out of 1/2" MDO and used two coats of Sherwin Williams All Surface Enamel as recommended by the paint store. The paint was a disaster. It didn't coat well and after two months of curing, still has a sticky feeling to it. I am reasonably happy with the chuck box as it stays in my pickup under my tonneau cover at all times. It is 26" wide, 18" high, 18" deep. It is heavy at 40lbs empty but this is for grilling on the beach, tailgating, and park and base/camp with my kids (Cub Scout, Girl Scout, Boy Scout). I did treat myself to a 5 pound LP Tank instead of the green 1 pound disposable or lugging my 20 pound. You can still see some sand from our least beach trip.

20190915_144933.jpg20190915_151524 .jpg20190804_125106.jpg

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
This has to be one of the coolest threads here. Sent me down a three day rat hole. Love the work and thought everybody has put in. I'm thinking about chuck boxes for my canopy build, the primary goal being versatility. I'm sort of obsessed with the Aussie-style ute canopies because of their utility and flexibility. I've acquired a ute shell I want to build onto my flatbed deck and I want to make it fully modular so all components can be taken out and moved around depending on the seasons, my work and play needs. On the kitchen box question, here are some of my ideas. I was about to pull the trigger on a river kitchen box by Frontier Play:

61H5-AP5EjL._SL1000_.jpg

The advantage would be dual use: I could use it on the river or on/off the truck, with or without legs. Waterproof, sturdy, but it has some drawbacks, primarily that "dry style" river boxes in a river setting are typically stored on their side and are then tilted horizontally to be used, so stuff shift around a lot. They are totally spartan and need to be fully modded out to be used in an expo type of rig (see Baltic birch shelves below). They also have limited vertical clearance and are wider than typical chuck box setups. But still interesting.

I decided to think outside of the box and started looking at the agricultural market: dog and horse show equipment. They are sometimes called "grooming" - or for horses, "tack" - boxes. This is where show folks keep their grooming tools, trimmers hair sprays etc. Some interesting things out there, but one of my favorites is this one. Lots of potential in this one I think:

61IEDE81UmL._SL1000_.jpg

This one is cool too:

914hcgi7waL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm also very cheap and lazy man so I even explored jerry-rigging something out of an already built cabinet. It just so happens that kids school furniture is often made with baltic birch ply. So I though of buying one of these (note the dado construction, I cannot do things like this), slapping some drop doors/cables out of baltic birch ply or maybe even cutting board material and calling it a day:

71-coGIYhiL._SL1480_.jpg

You could also buy some of these shelves (they come in all shapes and sizes) and build it into a toolbox or river box without too much trouble.

But I'm pretty sure I want metal, preferably aluminum, mostly for weatherproof reasons and I also camp in bear country, so that's a major consideration. On that note: I've seen more bear and bear sign in Utah's Canyon country than in the Wind River mountains in the last 30 years (there are also many more bears in canyon country than people realize). So I started thinking of this: who beats the heck out of their stuff, needs it to be tough, water resistant and bear resistant? HORSE AND MULE OUTFITTERS. I was in the Winds in August and ran into a pack train that was armed with the most amazing aluminum pannier boxes, so I had to ask them what was up. They said an outfitter shop called Robertson Enterprises was the place. These seem expensive on the surface, but come in a set of two with table leaves to make a full kitchen setup (back to back or side to side), are made of thick gauge aluminum and are IGBC certified grizzly bear resistant for use in national forest and parks that require such things! I'm strongly considering pulling the trigger on this this winter:

s131489306854803240_p28_i1_w1024.jpeg

s131489306854803240_p28_i2_w1024.jpeg

Getta load of their fully outfitted "Mobile Kitchen" setup complete with everything including Partner stove:

s131489306854803240_p35_i9_w2560.jpeg

Also in my search, I found out Koffler Boats has some really cool looking camp Kitchen options built for the boating industry: https://kofflerboats.com/camping-equipment/camp-kitchens/

Some ideas to chew on for sure..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles