Kitchen Kit/Chuck Box

JKJenn

Adventurer
reasonable price also !!! they seem to be pretty nice post back some thoughts after a bit on build quality etc.. :)

I think the photos earlier in the thread were the Blue Sky Kitchens - slightly different.

I do agree. It looks great.
Post some pictures or even a video of it if you can.

Benny

I got an email saying it would be shipped in about 2 weeks. When I get it I will be sure to post pics and video. For the price, it almost isn't worth a DIY.

JKJenn

Adventurer
Some of these setup a look pretty big/heavy, do you guys need 2 people to set these things up?

I can't speak for the tripod kitchens, but I am planning on keeping mine in the back of my M416 and using the tailgate as a work surface (putting something over it.) I don't want to constantly have to move it.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Thought I'd add some pictures of mine finished with the exception of the quick disconnect for the gas and water lines which will hopefully happen next week. 4 coats of spar urethane gave it a pretty thick and smooth finish. I think it will give me some good service, But I'll still have to keep it mostly out of the rain because of the plywood. The canopy extends completely over the kitchen, but not sure if I'd chance it.

In the trailer. The latch on the front, bottom will keep it from moving in/out or up/down. There is also a cleat in the back that will keep that end from bouncing.

Pull it out about half way.

Pull out the legs and extend so they are about where they need to be:

Pull out the rest of the way and fine tune the legs if needed. There is a brace wider than the opening that is screwed across the back of the kitchen unit that keeps it from falling out:

Raise the other set of legs: (Sorry for the crappy picture, I think the motion of the dog screwed up the camera)

Unfold, and this is when I'd be hooking up the propane and water connections:

Just a picture with all the doors open, showing the plates, bowls, cups, and cutlery (still need to get some nice knives).

The bottom left drawer fits all of the pots and pans (3 liter and 5 liter pots, 10 and 14" frying pans) plus coffee mugs and extra cups. Not sure what I'll put in the upper compartment. May larger dish washing tubs? The second has spices, foil, saran wrap, zip lock bags, and trash bags.

This show the kitchen all the way out. You can see why I couldn't make these doors hinge open:

Can't wait to use it in two weeks for the first camping trip of spring. It was so nice today in the Northeast I got my first sunburn on my neck and nose. Weird since it was only 60 deg.

Don

-

Last edited:

JKJenn

Adventurer
Don, what a fantastic kitchen!!

here is my kitchen box, I bought it from Army Barracks, is made of aluminum, I added it a drawer slide, Painted, handles, latches etc. Weather proof, dust, snow. water etc. Ready to start cooking..

Nice! Is that the Harbor Freight paper towel holder? Do you like it?

Honu

lost on the mainland
where did you get the legs from :)

Thought I'd add some pictures of mine finished with the exception of the quick disconnect for the gas and water lines which will hopefully happen next week. 4 coats of spar urethane gave it a pretty thick and smooth finish. I think it will give me some good service, But I'll still have to keep it mostly out of the rain because of the plywood. The canopy extends completely over the kitchen, but not sure if I'd chance it.

In the trailer. The latch on the front, bottom will keep it from moving in/out or up/down. There is also a cleat in the back that will keep that end from bouncing.

Pull it out about half way.

Pull out the legs and extend so they are about where they need to be:

Pull out the rest of the way and fine tune the legs if needed. There is a brace wider than the opening that is screwed across the back of the kitchen unit that keeps it from falling out:

Raise the other set of legs: (Sorry for the crappy picture, I think the motion of the dog screwed up the camera)

Don

-

Wyowanderer

Explorer

Can't wait to use it in two weeks for the first camping trip of spring. It was so nice today in the Northeast I got my first sunburn on my neck and nose. Weird since it was only 60 deg.

Don

-

Very. Nicely. Done.
My hat is off you.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
where did you get the legs from :)

I can't remember exactly where I got them from... They were purchased about 2-3 years ago for my other trailer and I never got around to building the kitchen for that one. Here is another store that has them, but they seem a little pricey from here. You should be able to find them cheaper. I think mine were $40 for the pair.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I can't remember exactly where I got them from... They were purchased about 2-3 years ago for my other trailer and I never got around to building the kitchen for that one. Here is another store that has them, but they seem a little pricey from here. You should be able to find them cheaper. I think mine were $40 for the pair.

thanks found a few that looked like those :) was curious if they are all about the same or not :) also found some that can customize the length needed nice setup ya made !

jeepin_idaho

Adventurer
I just wanted to share a short video of my chuck box project. Its not quite finished and its not going to win any beauty contests but it should be extremely functional.

03rubicon

Adventurer
Built some of mine today. Still need to add storage behind the drawers where I will house my 1lb propane bottles, as well as my flip up paper towel holder. Sink will be installed to the left of the drawers. Need a fold out holding point for the extended table. Stove will change and a possible drawer will be built under the new Coleman propane stove. Will slide out of my Dinoot trailer lengthwise.

Closed up with the piece of ply down, which will be hinged to cover up the stove and hinged down to create a little table.

Out, sorry for the lighting, brought it in the garage for fear of rain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles