Kitchen Kit/Chuck Box

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Anybody build a diy watertight or weatherproof kitchen kit? Love the idea but hauling it in the open bed of a pickup, it's hard for me to believe I can DIY it better than a plastic storage box.
Go back to the very first post. That's the box we used for years. It rode on the rack, water tight.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

aaen

Adventurer
The decked system? Waste of space in the truck bed. I went feom a decked system to a front runner wolfpack drawer setup and water tank. I have more in those wolf packs, ability to carry water low on the truck and pressurized, and still have about 12” at the front if the bed i can store random gear in or put my electrical.

Don’t waste your time on it.

coreman23

The decked system? Waste of space in the truck bed. I went feom a decked system to a front runner wolfpack drawer setup and water tank. I have more in those wolf packs, ability to carry water low on the truck and pressurized, and still have about 12” at the front if the bed i can store random gear in or put my electrical.

Don’t waste your time on it.
I’m seriously considering the decked system, you’re the 1st one I’ve seen with a negative post about it. Can you share some more cons? Bed space isn’t huge for me, I’m just looking for fairly dry storage, as my ultimate goal is a habitat truck topper. A water tank, if I ever do one, would probably go under my bed when I relocate my spare.

Any insight on the decked would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aaen

Adventurer
So first off I didn't hate the deck system, It was my second choice as frontrunner told me the storage system I wanted wouldn't fit in my truck, only to find out after buying the decked system it would. I decided to stick with the decked as I didn't want to be forking money out twice, really three times(explained below), after 6 months I got ride of the system, as it just wasn't working for me and I was getting annoyed with it. Note there are a lot of negative reviews out there on it, use to be some on the decked site, but they removed the comments, same as blue ridge overland does. so keep that in mind when reviewing the comment on stores websites. Reasons below:

-It is not dustproof, your drawers and content will be filled with dust, make sure you put everything into bags/bins
-Waterproofness, well if you drill single hole into the deck, the drawers will get water in them. Mine was under a cab, so not an issue and my items were in bins/bags
-the nut certs embedded in the plastic are horrible, you need to be really careful or you will undo them and you will be hard pressed to get your deck to stay tight. I'd remove them all and removed the oil/cutting compound they used on there machines and reinstall with loctite from the get go. Honestly they should have used helical coil inserts, better suited then a threaded in nut into plastic and gone coarse in stead of fine thread.
-I didn't use ay power tools on the install of the decked and they say not to, but be careful, you an easily undo the nut certs and then you are in for a fight with hand tools. Usually only occurs in the front of the decked b the cab where the deck attaches to the two out side supports
-bottle opener sucks, mind you I only tried it out but it tends to spill some precious nectar on the bed which flows under the drawers and is a pain to remove, I was never intending to use it to be honest, just thought I would try it out, I normally use my hands as here in Canada most bottles are twist top and if not i grab a lighter, knife, etc and pop the top.
-the design of the drawers is such that most standard tool boxes/items do not fit well nor securely, they are angles instead of square shape
-The drawer dividers are horrible and flimsy, I took them out after day one as some items shifted and popped them out.
-The narrow drawer on my tacoma was useless, no dividers were made as of yet, so it was my bulk recovery gear spot, noting stayed put. I will say the a hi lift jack stand(red plastic ones) will fit onto of the small drawer and you tape it there and it stays put. I fixed this b attaching yoga mats to the bottom of the drawer system to stop things from shifting.
-The cross boxes are nice, the larger normal drawer box is poorly made, the dividers warp and make it tough to close lid, they do not line up with the slots in the cover.
-It is not a no drill system, especially on the tacoma.
-The j hook attachment system for the tacoma was way way way too long. I guarantee it was the incorrect ones
-They shipped me t wo driver side ammo cans, it makes a difference when trying to install the castor wheels.
-the way the support beams/drawers are shaped.etc are laid out you loose a fair amount of useable space beneath the deck, which means no water tanks, pumps, electrical, etc. so all that has to sit onto of the deked system or be moved somewhere else.
the amount cans are pretty much useless, I had a few bungee straps/etc tossed in there as my fridge covered one of them as I wanted it mounted to the side as close as it could without interfering with the canopy struts.

All that being said, it is a cheap solution to get storage in your truck bed and they standardized a lot of parts btw the trucks to cut down on manufacturing. I also wouldn't strap 2000lbs down to it as my tacoma wouldn't handle it anyways. I went with the front runner wolfpack system and the water tank, it did cost me more but I gained a lot with it to be honest.

-The 6 wolfpack's hold everything and I mean everything that the decked system held and a whole lot more and they are organized into different needs (recovery, kitchen, camping, tools, etc)
-They are not dust/waterpoof, but they have yet to get any into the packs, besides some slap your mamas cajun spice that I left open and it got everywhere in that one cubby.
-I now have 13 gallons of fresh water storage underneath my floorboard, so ti is low and not up higher in the truck. with a water pump. This entire system leaves me 12 inches or so of room at the from to put my secondary batteries, fuse panels, etc into. and be covered by the floor boards.
-easy to install fridges to. Leg bolt them to the ply wood deck, and boom, you are done, secure and they do not impact the waterproofness

There are more reasons why I like the frontrunner, but those are the main ones. I originally had a custom system built but that was a complete **** up by the designer and manufactures not talking. Was poorly built by a well known use Manufacture in Idaho, shame as they had the abilities to create some seriously nice stuff, but blew it. The designer, well I don't talk to him very much anymore if at all, reminds me of a used car salesman and the trust level is gone completely.

Last edited:

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
That’s good intel aaen.
I gotta ask, was your initial post related to my mentioning the gladiator system? I was under the impression that it was a Mopar accessory but have no idea who manufactures it for them.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
changed to a butane/propane GasOne stove (retired the Svea 123R)... here is a pic of the rearranged cook kit (minus the fry pan, need to decide whether or not to include a small griddle beneath it all);
DSCF0317.JPG

Enjoy!

aaen

Adventurer
Nope, I saw the decked system in the box and figured you were going with one if those. I’ve convinced a few people to go other routes as for a bit more money you can get some stellar systems that’ll meet and exceed your demands and work better .

Really if your not going to put a canopy on your truck the storage systems are useless as you lose the functionality of the bed. That coupled with the ever increasing depth if the beds you have to be an ogre to reach over the side and grab something, which i hate doing. One is better off to go with a bed/cargo slide in those setups, keep in mind though they rattle i had one in my tundra underneath a tonneau cover, loved jt. I had spots setup for scuba diving equipment tie down/etc. Was fantastic if using a vehicle as more of a truck instead of overlanding(ugh i hate that term, and the legion of dorks/morons that come with it because its the cool thing to do now)

Last edited:

TNSG

Ok, after looking at all this pics of peeps having room shortages, I am feeling good about my pullout/drawer idea.
Most excellent posts!

coreman23

So first off I didn't hate the deck system, It was my second choice as frontrunner told me the storage system I wanted wouldn't fit in my truck, only to find out after buying the decked system it would. I decided to stick with the decked as I didn't want to be forking money out twice, really three times(explained below), after 6 months I got ride of the system, as it just wasn't working for me and I was getting annoyed with it. Note there are a lot of negative reviews out there on it, use to be some on the decked site, but they removed the comments, same as blue ridge overland does. so keep that in mind when reviewing the comment on stores websites.
It’s funny you mention that, because I do remember reading negative reviews about warping and can’t find those now. Kind of a bummer, as it looks to be a great system. Thank you for your honest review.

Do you have pics of your setup? I’d like other options, I was going to go with decked then a shell, but I may reconsider that now.

aaen

Adventurer
hmm, I'll see if I have any, not sure i do.

And deleting negative comments sadly is quit common on a lot of the companies we deal with and pretty much across the board. OTG pants is another one that has removed my review of their pants.

Airmapper

High-Tech Redneck
My prior setup was a few MTM caseguard plastic ammo crates. I like the crates but for kitchen box duty they got tiresome to shuffle around. One had the stove, one had utensils, another had food, and whatever one was on the bottom of the stack was the one I wanted something from:

While it's not very original, for the space I had the Trail Kitchens King Charles fit it perfect. It rides on my slide out and I tucked my fridge behind it since I'm not in and out of there a lot. So far I have not needed to remove it at camp so it's convenient just open the door and grab stuff. If I did want to spread out just unhook a few straps and set it on a picnic table. I like to back up to a picnic table if one is handy, so I have my stuff on one side, turn around and I have table space.

I do still use one of the MTM cases for a pantry box. A few canned goods and non-perishable stuff I use on a regular basis I'll tuck in the chuck box but I mostly keep the food separate.

I modified it by adding a cable to hold the door flat for setting things down on. If necessary I can put my Coleman dual burner stove on top and cook under the hatch door.

xwerx

Observer
I have a question for those who have built a chuck box out of wood. What product was used to seal the wood? How has the finish held up over time?

My last chuckbox was made of 1/8” luan door skin and pine battens. I used cheap exterior grade poly thinned (1:3) with mineral spirits as per recommendation over on TnTT. The idea is the MS carries the poly into the wood fibre before it evaporates sealing deeper. I think I used 3-4 coats and then used some left over exterior house paint. The box lasted for 5-6 years of canoe camping, and the wood actually wore through at the corners.