Kitchen Configurations:

blupaddler

Conspirator
Robin, the Canadian driving the Aluminum bodied FJ60 in Baja had some good ideas for kitchen set-up. He had two plywood pieces that slid along the floor of the rear of the Cruiser that pulled out at camp. They then hooked up a pole underneath the piece of plywood that would stabilize the pull-out.

I have been thinking that when I build my drawer system to have a top put on one of the pullouts. This would then act as a kitchen type area.

:camping:

Scott Brady

Founder
Knife storage

One of the items I logged from the last trip was knife storage.

These are slick: http://www.lamsonsharp.com/lamproduct_storage.html

hndl_10111s.jpg

I was also looking for stronger/more reliable ways of storing dry goods, spices, etc. This is a great solution:

Nalgene, Color, Lexan, Screw Top
Jars_Color_Lexan_Round_Screw_Cap.jpg

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Wow, some pretty interesting setups posted here. I tend to keep things on the keep it simple basis. I use my back packing pots and some extra pans along with my whisper lite stove. I don't drag around any extra tables or structures with the exception of a couple of light fold up camping seats. For Christmas this year my father got me a pretty cool small Coleman gas grill that can't be more the 13" across. I'm pretty excited to try it out. The passenger side rear door on my 80 is how I access the area under the bed where I keep food and cooking supplies. I often use the rear gate or the available rock for cooking and preparing food on.

Scott Brady

Founder
Africa

I am very curious of the traditional African bush kitchens. What stoves are used, tables, cookware, etc.?

I would love to see a few pictures, etc.

Is there traditionally a central cook tent/set-up?

also, I have added a few links to the first post

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Scott

This whole kitchen requirements issue is one that is in constant flux, but I have a couple of suggestions...

1. Assemble a list of what you know you need. The hardest things to manage and rememer aren't the stove and cooking kit, but things like matches, can and bottle openers, pot holders, propane hose fittings, salt & pepper shakers, lantern mantles, batteries, pliers, cutting utensils, silverware...

2. Assemble the actual items. Figure out a way to organize them in an easily assessable and easily stored way. I built a drawer system that is removeable from my kitchen box and is about 24" X 14" X 12" with four drawers.

3. Develop a work area that is dedicated to meal preparation. I use the drop down front of my kitchen box, which holds the stove (Aluminum/stainless by Camp Chef), grill, drawers of small items, plates, cups, etc.

the kitchen sits on the tail gate of my cruiser or the trailer. It stays packed and organized at all times. When I need an item that I don't have in the box, I buy one and add it to the inventory.

All my camping gear is stored in the trailer. I hate packing (it reveals how distracted and scatter brained I really am) and unpacking (which reveals how lazy I really am). :D

Just a thot.

351140.JPG

Scott Brady

Founder
Mike,

I really like your cook box. Well thought out. If I remember, you enjoyed woodworking, and it shows.

Tell me more about that cool pot set on the right :):lurk:

paulj

Expedition Leader
With a few modifications you could enter that trailer box into a chuck wagon competition. Where do you keep the medicinal whisky? :gunt:

recipe5.gif

Last edited:

VikingVince

Explorer
Mike,

Very nice kitchen box...I've been meaning to do something like that for some time now and still haven't gotten around to it.

I went to CampChef website and looked at their products...some nice stuff. I saw the stove that you have. You mentioned a grill...did you get one of the Campchef grills or are you adapting some other grill to the stovetop? In your pic, I saw a grill on top of the stove but it didn't look like any of the Campstove models. Thanks

paulj

Expedition Leader
I have a variety of GSI pans and dishes. Their hard anodized wok fits nicely on my Trangia stove. Their two piece 'boiler' set is a nice compact pair for use with a small stove. One of these days I may get one of their anodized dutch ovens. Their lexan and plastic bowls and plates fit compactly in my cook gear box, and are easy to clean.

They've had a microtable for some time, and now have added a taller 'macro' table.

I can't find it right now, but I've also seen a lexan coffee grinder.

Their product line is an interesting mix of enamelware (probably from Mexico), Chinese copies of lexan dishes, anodized pots, and a variety innovative items.

paulj

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
The coffee grinder fits right on top of the french press. Great idea but when I played with it in person it seemed as if it did not lock down and you had to hold it in place. I could have been using it wrong, it seems surprising that it would not lock on.

My favoite of thier products is a hand blender that you can bolt on to a ball mount arm and mount it into your hitch reciever. If you can make ice in your freezer you can have tasty frozen adult beverages!:beer:
I used to have a 12v blender that I used on my boat for just this purpose but I think the bit of labor involved in the hand version would make the drinks taste even better!!

BMAN

Adventurer
mcvickoffroad said:
...My favoite of thier products is a hand blender that you can bolt on to a ball mount arm and mount it into your hitch reciever. If you can make ice in your freezer you can have tasty frozen adult beverages!:beer:
I used to have a 12v blender that I used on my boat for just this purpose but I think the bit of labor involved in the hand version would make the drinks taste even better!!

I've been watching closely at my local goodwill stores for a good used older blender to pilfer for an air powered unit in the 60. A small 90 degree die grinder with a modified1/4" drive extension in it, a little air from the York and... voila! Instant slurpee machine!

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
expeditionswest said:
Mike,

I really like your cook box. Well thought out. If I remember, you enjoyed woodworking, and it shows.

Tell me more about that cool pot set on the right :):lurk:

Thanks, I knocked this together right after I finished the trailer. I thought it looked kind of unfinished and funky, but the idea works well. The section with 4 drawers slides out as a separate unit so that it can be used wherever needed.

The cook kit is a bit of self defense. I have never found a camping cook kit that you can cook a decent meal on, so I went to Cosco and bought a 16 piece anodized nonstick aluminum cookset. I sorted through it for the right combination of goodies and sort designed the box around that and the stove. Nonstick cookware is essential when camping with limited water because it is really easy to clean and keep ready for use.

Where do you keep the medicinal whisky?

Paul, there is a place for EVERYTHING. Especially some as essential as whisk...er, medicine. :rolleyes:

You mentioned a grill...did you get one of the Campchef grills or are you adapting some other grill to the stovetop?

VV - the stove is the Camp Chef Riverrunner. All stainless and aluminum, 14 pounds, and it kicks ****** on any other propane stove. :victory: I highly recommend this stove.

The grill is a stainless grill that I picked up at REI, I think, or some other camping good store. It is about 16"X11" with legs that swing down. This is for use over goals with birds, trout, steaks, etc. Cleans easily.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier