Kit Cars Are Back..

billiebob

Very cool and setup to expand the electric car market which is not affected by the EPA, CARB requirements. Word is Meyer Manx is going to build a replica of the original as a pure electric dune buggy.

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

Very cool, I had a VW Meyers way back in the day, oh, about 50 years ago. Had no idea they were still on planet earth.

I'm considering the kit car electrics, in another 10'15 years you may not want to buy a gallon of gas.

You really think gas prices will come back down to 2.69 a gallon? Dream on! Never, the oil companies will take us up to $7.00+ a gallon, then drop the price 30% and you'll think you're getting a great deal. They will screw you and never stop screwing you!

The tree huggers will want all electric vehicles, like yesterday. Prices of electric conversions will be going up, not just inflation but demand will increase the price. The cost to convert will justified with much higher gas prices.

If you aren't in tune with the future, then you will be left behind.

ITTOG

Very cool, I had a VW Meyers way back in the day, oh, about 50 years ago. Had no idea they were still on planet earth.

I'm considering the kit car electrics, in another 10'15 years you may not want to buy a gallon of gas.

You really think gas prices will come back down to 2.69 a gallon? Dream on! Never, the oil companies will take us up to $7.00+ a gallon, then drop the price 30% and you'll think you're getting a great deal. They will screw you and never stop screwing you!

The tree huggers will want all electric vehicles, like yesterday. Prices of electric conversions will be going up, not just inflation but demand will increase the price. The cost to convert will justified with much higher gas prices.

If you aren't in tune with the future, then you will be left behind.
You doomsday much?

This is said pretty much every time gas prices increase. So far they have always come back down to the same price or pretty close.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

RDinNHand AZ

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

You doomsday much?

This is said pretty much every time gas prices increase. So far they have always come back down to the same price or pretty close.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
LOL, no, don't get on the doomsday wagon. Glad to hear history repeats itself where you are, no so much in my area.

Not sure what "pretty close" is, we will be happy if we ever see sub $3.00 a gallon here for regular, pretty sure we can kiss $2.69 or less goodbye in SW Mo. We will see.

Oil companies will play these war game cards as long as they can, most likely past the election to give politicians lots of ammo while they rake in record profits.

I would seriously consider tanking my F 150 to electric if it could be done for say $10,000 or less with a 300+ mile range.

Another interest would be turning my pontoon boat electric and solar, I could put up about 2KW in panels on it.

ITTOG

LOL, no, don't get on the doomsday wagon. Glad to hear history repeats itself where you are, no so much in my area.

Not sure what "pretty close" is, we will be happy if we ever see sub $3.00 a gallon here for regular, pretty sure we can kiss $2.69 or less goodbye in SW Mo. We will see.

Oil companies will play these war game cards as long as they can, most likely past the election to give politicians lots of ammo while they rake in record profits.

I would seriously consider tanking my F 150 to electric if it could be done for say $10,000 or less with a 300+ mile range.

Another interest would be turning my pontoon boat electric and solar, I could put up about 2KW in panels on it.
NE OK and S TX. I bet we will get back to $3 to $3.25, maybe not less. I found a receipt from Jan 2022 and I paid $3.15/gal.

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

@ITTOG OK, but I've always avoided buying gas in OK because it's usually higher than MO. I can gas up in Joplin and make it to Dallas. Reg. is $4.35 today here.
Reg. varied from last year around $2.69 to 2.90, we didn't bust $3.00 until after Feb 28th thanks to Russia.

Which takes be to the alternative EV. I've not researched the EV situation, except on a few vehicle prices, but a kit for existing vehicles would probably sell.

About 10 years ago a guy who owned a shop here converted a VW Square Back to electric. Wasn't really practical, I think the range, depending on terrain and how it was driven was about 50 miles and took have a day to charge gel batteries. As I recall, he used a motor from a forklift.

Speaking of motors, I have a 1 1/5 hp for a grinder, that motor was made in the mid 1950's! While it hasn't been used everyday, electric motors are probably the longest lasting sources for rotating power, not sure, a ram jet may have fewer moving parts.

I did hear about the idea of having replaceable battery packs, just pull into a station, switch batteries and drive off. I can see where having a battery station would be more profitable than having a gas station. A battery operator would get to the politicians and pass legislation requiring licensed technicians to replace a battery pack. All an owner might do is recharge an existing pack with some limitations. Who knows, in 50 years you may not even be driving your own vehicle.

billiebob

yep.... they have been around for years
the cheapest way to repower a hotrod and win races.... range?? who cares..... enough to cruise the strip for an hour.
throw out the rad, gas tank. bolt it on, throw some batteries in the box... even old lead acid batteries and cruise.
so freaking simple.... and way easier to boost power than adding nitrous. e power only needs BIG wires.
full torque from zero rpm
1939-Chevrolet-Pickup-Electric-Conversion-slideshow-019.jpg

We've seen hot rods, muscle cars, Jap tuners, the turbo craze, low riders, drifters, I can't believe the e hot rod is not a massive craze.

Last edited:

billiebob

If you switch from ICE to electric you eliminate the radiator allowing you to clean up the aerodynamics. You eliminate the exhaust system and all the heat it generates. And you eliminate the gas tank and all the EPA mandated fuel evaporative controls. An electric motor can go from quiet and efficient to block buster powerful in an instant. The range from ultra miler to dragster is incredible. No ICE can offer the range or flexibility of an electric motor.

You want to transplant an electric motor into an ICE car..... just bolt it in, throw out all the ICE crap and yer done.

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

If you switch from ICE to electric you eliminate the radiator allowing you to clean up the aerodynamics. You eliminate the exhaust system and all the heat it generates. And you eliminate the gas tank and all the EPA mandated fuel evaporative controls. An electric motor can go from quiet and efficient to block buster powerful in an instant. The range from ultra miler to dragster is incredible. No ICE can offer the range or flexibility of an electric motor.

You want to transplant an electric motor into an ICE car..... just bolt it in, throw out all the ICE crap and yer done.

What is "ICE"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles