Kino the Tundra - The More We Explore's 2018 Toyota Tundra Build Thread

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Hi, I'm Steve from The More We Explore. This thread will document the build of our 2018 Tundra. I'm not new to toyotas or to modifying vehicles, but this is my first Tundra. Thanks to the many people on expeditionportal.com who provide helpful information. Hopefully my build can be helpful for some of you.

I'll be posting questions and details here, but my preferred medium is video. As I make and edit videos of the build, I'll be releasing them here.

phsycle

Adventurer
How does it tow the Airstream? (Is it Sparky or Reynolds? Web address says Sparky, but page says Reynolds). My father has a 25' Intl. Trying to convince him to get a truck rather than a short wheelbase Yukon to tow it with.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
How does it tow the Airstream? (Is it Sparky or Reynolds? Web address says Sparky, but page says Reynolds). My father has a 25' Intl. Trying to convince him to get a truck rather than a short wheelbase Yukon to tow it with.

It tows great. It towed our 6000lb 23 footer really well. While diesels have endless torque, I really love the torque and power of this truck. It tows great. It'd handle a 25' international no problem. Up big mtn passes (like crossing the rockies), expect MPG to be closer to 8-9, but on flat stretches, it's around 14. I don't miss my diesel van one bit.

phsycle

Adventurer
It tows great. It towed our 6000lb 23 footer really well. While diesels have endless torque, I really love the torque and power of this truck. It tows great. It'd handle a 25' international no problem. Up big mtn passes (like crossing the rockies), expect MPG to be closer to 8-9, but on flat stretches, it's around 14. I don't miss my diesel van one bit.

Wow, 14? Not bad at all. Thanks for the info.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Steve - one man's opinion: videos are not a great medium for these kinds of things. As a "consumer" of build threads, I will never dedicate 11 minutes of my life to watching a video that may not offer anything interesting/relevant/useful. Being able to quickly scan text/images, identify anything interesting, and dig in deeper is very valuable. Such information can also be shared and saved way, way easier than video content. Just food for thought.

I get what you're saying, but you're not my intented audience. Just remember that even though it may not be interesting, relevant, or useful to you, it may be (and is) useful to others. My build won't be everything for everyone, and that's ok. I've had lots of build threads in the format you're describing, but I won't be doing that for this one, I just don't have the time.

I already have a strong viewership on YouTube, so I thought I might as well start a build thread here in case it helps someone else. If people here don't like video and don't want to watch, no problem. I don't expect everyone to watch every video. However, my viewers have been requesting this content, and I want to share it. Showing a video of someone installing suspension, or storage, or headlights is far more useful than images and text (to me anyway). Fortunately there are lots of threads in the format you enjoy already, so you should still have plenty of threads to consume. This thread won't be one of those.

Last edited:

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Nice truck. (from a totally unbiased perspective) I see a driver's grab handle in your future. I don't know why they stopped installing them, but it was a great addition to ours. I enjoyed the video, and I bought my truck for some of the same reasons. I wanted long term reliability with a proven drivetrain. I wanted my money to be invested in those qualities over 45 heated and cooled cup holders and leather and air conditioned seats. The 5.7 V8 in the truck is simply awe-inspiring...and if it isn't engaging "beast mode" (tow haul on, and press the traction control button off 3 times) really re-affirms the power this motor has within. Enjoy.

Attachments

• 20181014_130601.jpg
    20181014_130601.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 138

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Nice truck. (from a totally unbiased perspective) I see a driver's grab handle in your future.

Yes, my wife has already asked for that (before she even knew if it was possible). In fact, you just reminded me to order the parts. Thank you!

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Man, putting your pregnant wife to work! :) Ha ha.

Any concerns with exceeding the payload? You're at what, 1,200lbs? Just curious if you'll be above that and if that would be of concern to you.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Finished up the Decked Drawer install. There were a few "gotchas" on this one. Hopefully this video helps someone down the road.

Last edited:

nuclearlemon

Adventurer
have a blast with your build. i'm with eatsleepwoof, i watched the first video and was fast forwarding to try to get to anything of interest, but you did pick a great platform. i've been a die hard land cruiser person for decades and got my first tundra (gen2 but also a double cab for the same reason you chose) a little over a year ago. 28000 miles later and i still love it! the 5.7 has been great for towing, fun when not towing. only thing i really hate is the bed bounce issue, but i'll be working on that soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles