King / Fox shocks, where is the best source for custom valving?

I'm wrapping up the front end rebuild and upgrade on my 06 ram, and wanted to see what people's opinions on a decent place to order some King shocks with applications specific valving. To the best of my knowledge there is Accutune, Thuren, and Filthy Motorsports.

Looking at Radflow, they seem to offer customing tuning from the factory, but the shock options are a little limited for maximizing travel in a limited space.

The truck will be with 3" Carli coil springs, radius arms in front, and will be hauling a 2400lb camper.

amaes

When I used to have my desert racing truck I would buy my shims from Down South Motorsports in California. They will do custom valving for you if you don't want to take them apart yourself. Really fair rate over there and where I send my current set-up for a rebuild.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Another vote for Accutune. Their valving for my LX45 project was fantastic out of the box.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I'm wrapping up the front end rebuild and upgrade on my 06 ram, and wanted to see what people's opinions on a decent place to order some King shocks with applications specific valving. To the best of my knowledge there is Accutune, Thuren, and Filthy Motorsports.

Looking at Radflow, they seem to offer customing tuning from the factory, but the shock options are a little limited for maximizing travel in a limited space.

The truck will be with 3" Carli coil springs, radius arms in front, and will be hauling a 2400lb camper.
With Carli coils I'd stay with them. They can valve the shocks for your camper. I have a real mutt with Kore coils,Thuren Stage 3 and 2 Kings and Carli minipaks. Don't bother with the minipaks. Not worth the expense for the yield. Some airbags or Timbrens will be necessary. A Hellwig swaybar will help heaps on the road but disconnect one side offroad. My Radflow shafts corroded despite their claims. I live five miles from the ocean. I'd order stainless steel shafts. My Kings are 10+ years old now and I've had to replace two. Not cheap.

I was unaware that Carli did custom valving per individual customers, just on the phone with CJC a few days ago and they told me that Carli did not offer such. Have to give them a call and ask.

Regcabguy, just wondering you had to replace two king shocks or just shafts and seals due to corrosion?

For those who went with Accutune, how was the service like?

I understand there's a situation going on around the world at the moment causing delays and what not. One day I call the person on the phone was great and all ready to place an order, he wanted me to confirm the measurements. The next day I call back with the measurements, things seemed to suddenly change with not accepting orders for customization anymore. Its been a couple of weeks now, still no progress even mentioned on being accepting of any brand in a 2.5 or 3.0 size.

Radflo seems the easiest to talk with and does offer any size in any length with specific valving, but with many reviews and pictures of failures , not really interested in spending a few grand on a questionable product.

*TRD*

Observer
For those who went with Accutune, how was the service like?

I understand there's a situation going on around the world at the moment causing delays and what not. One day I call the person on the phone was great and all ready to place an order, he wanted me to confirm the measurements. The next day I call back with the measurements, things seemed to suddenly change with not accepting orders for customization anymore. Its been a couple of weeks now, still no progress even mentioned on being accepting of any brand in a 2.5 or 3.0 size.

Radflo seems the easiest to talk with and does offer any size in any length with specific valving, but with many reviews and pictures of failures , not really interested in spending a few grand on a questionable product.

Hi, sorry to hear about the issues. I have sent you a message to learn more about exactly what is going on and to see how we can resolve it.

Due to COVID-19 we have had to suspend offering custom oem fit shocks that require special bushings, sleeves and hose routing for unique applications.
Every shock is still custom tuned, and we still offer customized shocks for our popular applications.
If Fox or King already make a shock for your application we will build it and custom tune it. *except IFP shocks
It is just the unique vehicles (eg: 1995 Dodge Camper Conversion) that we are not able to support at this time.
If Fox or King do not advertise a shock that fits your vehicle, we are not able to rework another shock to fit it at this time.
We have hired more people to help handle the demand, but it is going to take some time to train them on the extreme complexity of custom oem fit shocks (literally every dimension is custom).

When looking at custom tuning you need to think about how they are coming up with those tunes.
AccuTune Off-Road use engineering equations, and experience to make sure you get the best tune possible.
AccuTune also ask a lot of questions to make sure the tune is correctly customized.
It is easy to make custom tunes, it is very hard to make good custom tunes.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I was unaware that Carli did custom valving per individual customers, just on the phone with CJC a few days ago and they told me that Carli did not offer such. Have to give them a call and ask.

Regcabguy, just wondering you had to replace two king shocks or just shafts and seals due to corrosion?
Just the shafts and seals. That's a fair toll as it is. Mine are rebuilt by a local guy. They don't go back to King.

I just wanted to provide an update with AccuTune, after some messaging and a phone conversation, things were resolved. *TRD* / Ryan was a pleasure to work with, just like the first person I was reached. A order was placed for some Fox 3.0 shocks and I received some very useful information about shocks.

Holefully any miscommunication or internal issues were improved upon with the phone representatives and people can have a better experience without any additional intervention.

Glad to know you were able to resolve this and have shocks on the way. Thanks to TRD for being here and reaching out to you. It is great in these trying times to find a company with great customer service that is willing to reach out to the customer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles