Kimberley Kampers USA

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Here's a picture from our recent trip--on the Icefields Parkway en route from Jasper to Banff in AlbertaView attachment 732331

I took this back in 2012:

zZYT0Yq.jpg

Romer

Adventurer
@Romer are the poles and lines that are visible under the bed extension (on the other side of the Karavan) for the extended awning?
yes they are

The extended awning does take a few more minutes to put up. For one thing it doesnt sit in the sail rack in a bag and that is because it is wider covering the majority of the Karavan.
extended awning
IMG_0080.JPG

Kwik or other awnings that can stay in the bag
1658280002005.png

the advantage of the bag awning is they are faster to put up and also with the Bedouin attachment they are better in high wind
1658280094235.png

I have debated a few times in getting the Kwik awning, but I do prefer the better coverage even if it adds time to put it up. I don't think this is still an option, but they do make their own canvas so maybe you can still get it. When I talk about more time, I am talking 15 -20 minutes of setup so not too bad, but that is after doing it a few times. First time took me 30 minutes as I was figuring things out. The hardest thing about the Awning is folding it back up and putting it in the boot :)

Here is a picture from my owners manual giving a better view. It is set up for side walls and making a room to the right for a separate room. I did not get the walls as I never used them in my Kamper
1658280507229.png

However, Hants added walls to his Kwik awning in cold windy weather and it was nice. It comes down to personal preference. I would rather go inside if it gets cold and not have to carry all the walls. It is easier to carry the walls for the Kwik awning as the main awning is in a bag on the Karavan sail track so you have the room

Last edited:
Love the attention to detail on that extended awning, especially the arc of wear patches for the top corner of the door! I'm starting out with the "standard" kwik awning and the Bedouin extension. Fall and spring camping in the northeast has enough morning dew and/or fog that it's nice having an awning that goes up relatively easily and can stay up in some rain or breeze. The pic you have of the Bedouin all set up, looks fairly secure. Have you been camped with that Karavan in breezy enough conditions to have a sense of when it's "reasonable" to leave it up versus smarter to take it down? I'm usually of the opinion that wind gusts are always higher than forecast and that nature will always win, so I'll still always pull canvas off early.

rehammer81

RVs of America (ROA) just posted a brief walkthrough video of an E3 Kruiser. I'm very interested in that one or the Karavan. Would like to see both in person.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

It's a ways off, but Dave Bates mentioned that he would definitely have a Karavan, and I think a Kruiser also, at Expo East in October. And at least one current Karavan owner will be there.

Not sure I really want to see the inside of a Kruiser in person after ordering a Karavan.... ;)

wtraptor

Just picked up our new E Class.

Some thoughts. Great for off grid travel, pulled well through jeep roads. The extra battery was very helpful, we have a total of 600 ah. Was able to charge from rooftop solar, portable solar and anderson plug from truck alternator. Surprising lots or storage and plenty of space for two adults and two kids. IMG_0628.JPGIMG_0629.JPGIMG_0630.JPG

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Just picked up our new E Class.

Some thoughts. Great for off grid travel, pulled well through jeep roads. The extra battery was very helpful, we have a total of 600 ah. Was able to charge from rooftop solar, portable solar and anderson plug from truck alternator. Surprising lots or storage and plenty of space for two adults and two kids. View attachment 734238View attachment 734239View attachment 734240

How do you like the vee-bunks overtop of the queen? I believe KK also offer a bunk-type sleeping option overtop of the couch - did you consider that setup? Why did you choose the vee-bunks over it?

wtraptor

How do you like the vee-bunks overtop of the queen? I believe KK also offer a bunk-type sleeping option overtop of the couch - did you consider that setup? Why did you choose the vee-bunks over it?

We got the veebunks to keep the living space as open as possible. There is a double bed option over the bed but the kids wanted their own sleeping spaces. There are two options for the couch. A top bottom bunk setup and using the couch seat back to make a double bed. I choose the later, can send a pic of it set up if you like. A note about the veebunks. It's probably useful for kids only or small adults. Would definitely recommend the couch bunk beds for teenagers or adults.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
We got the veebunks to keep the living space as open as possible. There is a double bed option over the bed but the kids wanted their own sleeping spaces. There are two options for the couch. A top bottom bunk setup and using the couch seat back to make a double bed. I choose the later, can send a pic of it set up if you like. A note about the veebunks. It's probably useful for kids only or small adults. Would definitely recommend the couch bunk beds for teenagers or adults.
Which outside cooking set up did you choose? Our S3 is being built right now, and I am at the last chance to make any changes. I question the two power burners a little

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram

Good to know! If you do have photos, I'd love to see the other sleeping setup options!

@wtraptor That's an awesome set up for traveling with kids! Do you know how much charge you are actually getting to the Kruiser batteries from the Anderson plug when you're traveling from one spot to the next? And did you leave everything stock on the Ford/3.5 (battery, alternator, etc)? Going to be adding an Anderson plug to my F150 before our Karavan shows up, but have no idea what that will actually provide.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Going to be adding an Anderson plug to my F150 before our Karavan shows up, but have no idea what that will actually provide.

It'll provide whatever current your alternator puts out, which will be plenty. How Kimberley's onboard DC-to-DC charger handles that current is another story, but it'll surely have all the current it needs and then some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles