Kimberley Kampers USA

rehammer81

I didn't realize KK was mirroring layouts to curbside for the U.S. market. Is that true of the Karavan also? The KK Karavan is probably the trailer that fits all my desires the best but it would cement itself at the current top of the list with proper curbside U.S. configuration for the occasional stop in a organized camp site or KOA type facility.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I didn't realize KK was mirroring layouts to curbside for the U.S. market. Is that true of the Karavan also? The KK Karavan is probably the trailer that fits all my desires the best but it would cement itself at the current top of the list with proper curbside U.S. configuration for the occasional stop in a organized camp site or KOA type facility.

My understanding is that due to the Karavan's unique design, they are not moving the entry to the curb side. I believe only the Kruisers are being mirrored.
Apologies if my previous post wasn't as detailed as it should have been. . .I made some edits.

rehammer81

Doh! Still one of my favorites. Just a bit awkward in U.S. organized camp sites. I spend most of my time in disbursed camping which is kind of the goal of these types of trailers but it would be nice to be setup correctly for the occasional KOA type stop in route.

My Kimberley S3 Kruiser is being built in Australia right now. I hope to pick it up in Ohio before May 1. I live near Iowa City, IA and will only take short trips until September. I’ll be in Western Colorado and Utah in late September into October. Probably in Nevada and California later—Death Valley, etc. I’ll be happy to show it to any forum members if our paths cross.

I just got word that my S3 is supposed to ship from KK on 3/26. Keeping my fingers crossed for no (or minimal) hiccups.

Romer

Adventurer
My Karavan is on the US drivers side. I don't see any issue with that. You can still open the door and climb in to stock the fridge and get access to the kitchen drawers.

rehammer81

My Karavan is on the US drivers side. I don't see any issue with that. You can still open the door and climb in to stock the fridge and get access to the kitchen drawers.
Most of the time not an issue at all. For me the issue is not about opening the door on the traffic side. The minor issue is in the case of occasional road trip camp stops in an organized campground. They are typically setup with the space for for setting up camp, maybe with tables or just the room for your own stuff on the passenger side. Also hookups tend to be on the driver's side. So, like I said, just not an ideal setup to have the entry/exit, kitchen, etc all on the driver's side in that instance. Now I'm not buying a trailer like this to spend a lot of time in organized campgrounds so it isn't that big a deal or a non-starter for me.

I love that it is so off-road capable with hard walls, with a real north/south bed, with inside and outdoor kitchen, with toilet and shower, AND can fit in my standard height garage.

Romer

Adventurer
who needs tables? yes the picnic table is behind me. Still usable but never have. The electrical hookup is a long extension cord that fits in wither direction. In this campground the water and electrical hook up was in the middle of two spots. I have never needed the water hook up with the two large water tanks, but carry a hose just in case. The fill spot is on the passenger side rear. Its a fill up if empty and not a hook up

K2.JPG

rehammer81

Awesome! I really like the Karavan and like I said, probably tops on my list. I prefer dispersed camping anyway so the configuration is not a deal breaker. I believe I've seen you are in CO. I'm in southern AZ but try to get to CO at least once a year. If possible I'd love to checkout a Karavan in person.

Tazman

Adventurer
Enjoy your Kimberley. I have a S3 and have explored the western US for months at a time. I spoke with David Bates yesterday and I must say that I am impressed with his honesty and willingness to help US Kimberley owners. I hope to meet him at the September Expo assuming that they have it this year.DFBAB77B-98EA-4FA4-9CE2-837ABA84A34F.jpeg

Grassland

All the names start with K so I'm confused again, which one is the Transformer, the Karavan?

How does it hold up to water leaks when pouring while on highway, and or dust intrusion while driving at highway speeds on road, or reasonably fast speeds on gravel or dirt roads?
Having the bed not be the table is nice and hard roof and walls as opposed to a forward or rear fold canvass unit is a good feature. Can probably pack it up in the rain with less hassle.

All the names start with K so I'm confused again, which one is the Transformer, the Karavan?

How does it hold up to water leaks when pouring while on highway, and or dust intrusion while driving at highway speeds on road, or reasonably fast speeds on gravel or dirt roads?
Having the bed not be the table is nice and hard roof and walls as opposed to a forward or rear fold canvass unit is a good feature. Can probably pack it up in the rain with less hassle.

Yes, the Karavan is the unit that "transforms". Since they're designed and built in Australia (think lots of dust), I would imagine they're well sealed (but I have no personal experience). I would seem to me that the hard shell should be easier to pack up in the rain than something with a lot of canvas.

Romer

Adventurer
Mine is sealed tight. Water doesnt get in either down or deployed in camp. High winds dont bother it either. I offroad mine which fills the cruiser with dust, but the Karavan in camp doesnt have any of that when it deployed. Still I would store it inside when not in use as anything will feel the effects of long term weather exposure. Mine fits in my garage

IMG_0331.JPG

This probably isn't news to any of you, but Overland Journal named the Kimberley Kruiser S3 the best luxury overland camper in January, 2021

blacklbzbeauty

Watching a TrailRecon live video today from Missouri at an indoor show. Appeared Dave had a couple of Kimberly trailers on display there. If interested in seeing one in person, may want to reach out and check if he is coming to a show near you.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I am upgrading from my current 2011 Kimberley Karavan to a Kimberley S3 Kruiser. :) If the timing goes well, Dave plans to have it on display at EXPO in September.

I have not posted my Karavan for sale yet. I'll probably get it posted this weekend. It's been awesome for me and taken me to many, many wonderful backcountry camps. I'm just getting older and softer so looking for additional room and comforts.

Poke me if your interested.

Brad
520-906-2821

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles