Kimberley Kampers USA

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

That Australian price you are quoting is a base price without options, whereas the price Mars is quoting is with options. Like many rigs, Kimberleys have a long option list that do bring the price up quite a bit. So it's not fair to say that the price differential is all in markup/shipping. No doubt shipping is expensive and Dave has to keep the lights on, but you would have to compare an identically optioned Australian rig for it to be fair.

As a Kimberly owner for over 2 years, I generally agree with the points made above. It really is an apples to oranges comparison when compared to an Airstream and it totally depends on your use case if the Kimberley premium is worth it. No matter what lift/tires you put on an Airstream, it is still fundamentally an on road rig, and I guarantee if you are planning on taking it down more than the occasional well groomed forest service road you are going to encounter issues with the vibrations from off road travel. In the two years we've had our Karavan, we've not had a single system fail or even a screw back out due to the off road environment. I'm pretty sure that would not be the case with any off road package equipped regular trailer. Now if you are handy and don't mind fixing things this may not be a deal breaker for you. Airstreams certainly are nice on the inside and will offer quite a bit more space on the inside then even the T-class due to the significantly larger width. For us, the narrower width of the Kimberleys was a strong selling point in terms of being able to get it into places where a traditional rig can't fit (also why we got a Karavan over a Kruiser).

Good points especially on Airstream. Just to be clear I mentioned the 220,000 AU cost which is 144,600 US was the starting price. Then add 10 k in options Mars added brings the cost to 154,000 US. Keep in mind the starting price of 220,000 AU already has dealer profit in it. So I actually low balled my statement. It should be 46k us in 2nd dealer markup and shipping. That's more like keeping the lights on and a trip to Tahiti.

Treefarmer1

Treefarmer1 always appreciate your feedback and recommendations. Did you get a chance to watch the whole video? Quite a bit of off-grid/boondocking capability is this particular Airstream model. Granted it's not going to have Kimberley's off road capability, but liklely enough to be taken off the beaten path if taken slow/easy.

Check out some of the posts from this fella - With proper planning/precautions liklely more capable than most people realize.

Off Road Airstream

I could swing $ either one.... Obviously the ~80k less for the Airstream is a much easier pill to swallow...

Been checking out the other recommendations as well so thanks to all! 🍻
Just remember, there's much more to being off road capable than just clearance. We see a lot of trailers with flipped springs and other adjustments that give them plenty of clearance. How well a trailer can articulate over obstacles and handle extended wash board roads is more important. An off road trailer should still be in one piece when arriving at camp after being shaken, rattled and rolled. There was a good discussion here a while ago about how an extremely well built trailer like an Oliver Elite II could be made to have good clearance, but it definitely didn't perform well with the pounding of off road life. The Airstream Basecamp is a good effort to come up with a more off road capable trailer, but it sounds like that's too small for you.

MARSSIVPilot

Just remember, there's much more to being off road capable than just clearance. We see a lot of trailers with flipped springs and other adjustments that give them plenty of clearance. How well a trailer can articulate over obstacles and handle extended wash board roads is more important. An off road trailer should still be in one piece when arriving at camp after being shaken, rattled and rolled. There was a good discussion here a while ago about how an extremely well built trailer like an Oliver Elite II could be made to have good clearance, but it definitely didn't perform well with the pounding of off road life. The Airstream Basecamp is a good effort to come up with a more off road capable trailer, but it sounds like that's too small for you.

Yep - Spot on! 👍 Been burning up the internet reading/researching on forums, etc... The Airstream has very limited suspension articulation. Really didn't have any expectation that it would compare to the Kimberley in that regard, but I also don't want to be overly concerned everytime I leave the pavement with a trailer. Looking forward to seeing a T3 in person very soon. Thanks - You guys have been Great! 🍻

Romer

Adventurer
That is a great point. I bought an Offroad Jayco that feel apart on washboard roads, not even a trail or any obstacles

The thing that sold me on the Kimberley is that it is designed for the Australian outback which can be unforgiving. It isn't like you can drive into town to get aa part. I started with a Kamper for 5 years and then upgraded to the Karavan which I have had for 8 years. There have been zero issues from driving on trails. These have great suspensions with trailing arms and clearance, plus are built well to take the vibrations. I can only speak to the Kimberley Kamper and Karavans as I have never had an S3 or T3
DSC02951.JPGDSC02952.JPG41447942_10212745311923751_6531827907759702016_o.jpgDSC02687.JPG
20230926_155748.jpg

you can get to campsites like this where everyone else left their camper at home and brought RTTs or ground tents
DJI_0001.jpg

DSC02654.JPG

DJI_0031.jpg
1706070647266.png

Last edited:

MARSSIVPilot

That is a great point. I bought an Offroad Jayco that feel apart on washboard roads, not even a trail or any obstacles

The thing that sold me on the Kimberley is that it is designed for the Australian outback which can be unforgiving. It isn't like you can drive into town to get aa part. I started with a Kamper for 5 years and then upgraded to the Karavan which I have had for 8 years. There have been zero issues from driving on trails. These have great suspensions with trailing arms and clearance, plus are built well to take the vibrations. I can only speak to the Kimberley Kamper and Karavans as I have never had an S3 or T3
View attachment 816601View attachment 816602View attachment 816603View attachment 816604
View attachment 816607

you can get to campsites like this where everyone else left their camper at home and brought RTTs or ground tents
View attachment 816605

View attachment 816606

View attachment 816608
View attachment 816609

Certainly more than I'd be willing to put a T3 Kruiser through, but pretty awesome nonetheless! (y)😁

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94