Kimberley Inspired Camper Build

joey.hendrix

Observer
Frame and floor bottom painted

Last Saturday was warm enough to get the frame painted. Also got the floor panels cut, fitted, and bottom painted.
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg

protohyp

Adventurer
I'm not sure how your planning on raising and lowering but there is another builder that did the same thing using actuators on four corners but he got low speed (maybe to accommodate for weight) and it took a while for it to raise 3 feet. I use Firgelli actuators as there fairly inexpensive and they have all the actuators you need if you go that route. I just built my actuator that pushes and pulls cables using a garage screw drive running off a 18V drill motor that is running off 12V and it's pushing 250-300 lbs depending on the pulley assist calculations. Anyway I'm subscribed as I can't wait to see what you come up with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joey.hendrix

Observer
Floor Installed.

Have the frame in the shop because it was too cold to work outside. Very cramped but I was able to get the Floor installed on the frame. Its held down with counter sunk carriage bolts and lock nuts.
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg

joey.hendrix

Observer
Wall Panel Lamination

My plan is to build the walls from 1" styrofoam insulation sandwiched between 2 sheets of 1/8" plywood. I was planning on using West System epoxy to bond the styrofoam to the plywood. After a test to see how much epoxy it was going to take it became apparent that it was going to take a lot. That stuff is really expensive and time consuming to mix so I decided to find an alternative adhesive. I really wanted to use contact cement but it melts the styrofoam. Did some more research and found a water based contact cement made by Wilsonart.
17.jpg

Ready to roll on the adhesive.
18.jpg

This stuff works! Its the consistency of milk and almost no odor. Laminated 3 panels and cut them to size on the table saw.
19.jpg

dcollier32

Adventurer
My plan is to build the walls from 1" styrofoam insulation sandwiched between 2 sheets of 1/8" plywood. I was planning on using West System epoxy to bond the styrofoam to the plywood. After a test to see how much epoxy it was going to take it became apparent that it was going to take a lot. That stuff is really expensive and time consuming to mix so I decided to find an alternative adhesive. I really wanted to use contact cement but it melts the styrofoam. Did some more research and found a water based contact cement made by Wilsonart.
View attachment 218427

Ready to roll on the adhesive.
View attachment 218428

This stuff works! Its the consistency of milk and almost no odor. Laminated 3 panels and cut them to size on the table saw.
View attachment 218432
How long does it take to cure? Also, where can I get some?

joey.hendrix

Observer
How long does it take to cure? Also, where can I get some?

I got it at Wurth (formally Charlotte Hardwood Center) in Charlotte NC. Paid $55.00.

It was 75f, sunny with a breeze so it took about 10 minutes for it to be ready to bond. Just like any other contact cement, once you bring the pieces together the bond is instant.

joey.hendrix

Observer
Exciting afternoon

Got some more wall panels made up this morning. Had planned on mounting panels to the floor but instead spent half the day fighting a wild fire. This is a video still from my helmet cam.

GOPR0102.MP4.Still001.jpg

joey.hendrix

Observer
Progress Report

Beautiful weather this weekend. Got a lot done.

Used West System epoxy to begin gluing the panels together. Will follow up by covering all seams with fiberglass tape and epoxy.

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

joey.hendrix

Observer
Update

Continued gluing wall panels to each other and the deck. I Move it into the shop and night. Tight fit.
28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

32.jpg

Hugo checking out the progress.
33.jpg

Attachments

• 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Forum statistics