Kiamichi Trail (K-Trail) - April 2014 - Trip Report

fo' runnin'

Overland Textile Co.
Myself and another member from T4R.org organized this trip and it consisted of a group of 7 Toyota 4runners, all from T4R.org. All of us are from Oklahoma. We had seen a handful of trip reports and videos on YouTube of the "K-Trail" and it turned out to be everything we expected and more. We stayed Friday night at Clayton Lake State Park and most of us just slept in our rigs. We woke up around 6:30 Saturday morning, grabbed some breakfast, and were on the trail by 8am. We were able to reach the 3 Sticks Monument by 5pm without having to rush too much. This trail offered a handful of somewhat technical areas spread throughout the first few miles of the trail, all of which were great fun and not overly challenging or dangerous. Later on in the trail it smoothed out a bit, although still very rocky and bumpy, just less "technical". There were a few decently deep mud holes along the way that were great fun, all with SOLID bottoms, so no worries about burying your rig. There was a section of the trail a few miles before the Fire Tower that they call "The Jungle", and rightfully so, because it was VERY tight for a few miles. Everyone's paint got TRASHED in that section. Also, there are bypasses for most of the "technical areas", so no worries about coming up on something you can't do, as long as you've got low range 4wd and decent ground clearance. My rig is 100% stock with a set of 33s and it had ZERO issues with the trail. Luckily, we didn't run into any crazy locals or angry hunters, like have been reported by others in the past... Overall, a VERY fun trail, and one that can be ran in a half day, a day, or over the course of a few days, because there are highways that intersect with it every 20 miles or so!

Some GoPro footage from the trail!

Saturday morning at Clayton Lake State Park

Grabbing a quick breakfast in town...

On the trail!

First real obstacle...

Waiting in line for the first real obstacle...

Stopping for a scenic view...

On down the trail a little further, stopped to check out the next obstacle...

Another scenic view...

Pee break or something... who knows, we stopped 278 times... hahaha

The infamous "Last Resort" bus!

Another of my rig before heading on down the trail from the bus...

The whole group at the bus...

The bus...

Last edited:

fo' runnin'

Overland Textile Co.
Came up on a cabin that was under construction with an amazing view!

Everyone parked at the cabin...

Once we crossed the Indian Highway, it wasn't long before we came across the best views of the day... this is looking North...

To the South...

Back on the trail...

After we made it through "The Jungle" (the tightest, most overgrown portion of the trail) we came up on the fire tower...

fo' runnin'

Overland Textile Co.
Views from atop the Fire Tower...

Looking to the West...

...to the North

...to the East

...to the South

...down below

...in the fire tower

Homestead just after the fire tower...

...on the way home! If you look VERY closely, you can see the fire tower in the dead center of that ridge line.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
You know, I wouldn't have taken the time to click this until I saw the name "Kiamichi."

I just spent the last several days in SE Oklahoma (Beavers Bend State Park) for a Teardrop Trailer gathering and saw the Kiamichi name all over the place.

Very beautiful part of the country and surprisingly wild. Nice trip report and pics, too!

fo' runnin'

Overland Textile Co.
You know, I wouldn't have taken the time to click this until I saw the name "Kiamichi."

I just spent the last several days in SE Oklahoma (Beavers Bend State Park) for a Teardrop Trailer gathering and saw the Kiamichi name all over the place.

Very beautiful part of the country and surprisingly wild. Nice trip report and pics, too!

Very nice! It's absolutely the most beautiful part of the state, and Beavers Bend State park is awesome! Thank you very much for the compliments!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94