Kia sorento

donaldcon

Adventurer
I know it's a long shot but any other kia owners here?

I have a lifted 03 sorento I've daily drive and offroad.

Can't post a photo yet becuase this is my first post apparently. I'll post as soon as I am able

I just signed up for this form via tapatalk but I know a few other users here and when I get time I'll sit down at a real computer and fill out all my profile info

Last edited:

donaldcon

Adventurer
eaab49507610b87a65345108270fd355.jpg

Got enough post to ad some photos so here is one.

Pretty basic little ride.

donaldcon

Adventurer
I've had several makes and models of vehicles over the years so I've got alot I can compare too.

It has a mitsubishi clone motor. (copy of the mitsubishi 3.5) toyota built 4 speed auto, and a borg warner tcase. So it is pretty stout really.

Axles are very comparable to montero axles. 9.5 ring gear. 33 spline axles, with 4.60 gears.

But no gear or locker options.

These are very comparable power, wheelbase, etc to a jeep liberty. I had a liberty set up similar and this has been far more reliable and simply goes better.

Hard to compare it to a samurai becuase of size differance, some places it does better others the samurai.

Usually it comes down to driver ability more than make and model of.vehicle in my experiance.

Typically I sell junk every few months after I've beat it apart. Had this one a year and still going

It impresses nearly everyone who I ride with so.id say it goes pretty good

If you feel like reading 42 pages of crap here is my build.on sorento nation
http://www.sorentonation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3018

Last edited:

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
meh....not impressed....

LOL!!

Glad you finally made it over here bud! probably wont see too many...as typical more overseas will have the kia than domestic

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Hmmm, I stumbled across a Sorento in a parking lot recently and it piqued my curiosity. I could see thru the window the 4LO selector. The lack of a low-range in the Subies has always made me leery of going that route. I meant to follow up with some research and here you come along. Sweet, simple build you've got.

A friend of mine has been driving a Sorento for over 10 years, and she keeps saying she'll get something new when it dies, but it doesn't. I've ridden in it a few time and it's comfortable. I like the size for myself (similar to a Liberty).

Do you have any links to share (besides the forum), parts sources, swaps, etc? Any info would be appreciated.
The Dirt Every Day Cheap Truck Challenge had an older Sportage, and it does well.

donaldcon

Adventurer
There really isnt a whole lot of info out there on these things because there isnt much aftermarket, and only a couple of us are crazy enough to build them.

There are some common sorento issues to watch out for.

2003 to 2009 are the full frame with lo ranger years. 2007 they got a "face lift" and many of the early issues where resolved.

Most common issue is axle bracket rust, as you can see on the first couple pages of my build. Everything else is mostly mechanical, and kia has issues TSB for them.
The engine is a knock off of the 3.5 thats in the mitsubishi's, the earlier 4 speed like I have are the toyota 4r22e ( or something of that sort???, i forget exactly) The 5 speeds in the 2007 - 09 is kia design. I prefer my 4 speed because I know its toyota reliable.

The axles are kia and there is NOTHING for them here in america, although there is a company in france making arb style lockers but Im afraid to drop the coin to find out the axles are differant or something stupid.

My plan for this to find montero 4.9 geared diffs with lockers, and swap them in, with liberty struts, with custom mounts and all custom upper and lower control arms. I'll shove the frotn axle forward a little and the rear back. I'll have to trim the fenders to do that but my plan is to run 35" tires with as minimal lift as possible. However that may be NEXT winter before I get that project going. For now its all kia with a 2" daystar lift, and custom sliders and bumpers.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Thanks for the additional info. I think for my objectives, the stock Eaton LSD would be great, so I'd stick with 2006 and older.

Although this is my "first rodeo", I really like the idea of something unusual. I'm not interested in being on the bleeding edge but don't mind second waving. You're plans are beyond my objectives but still an interesting path.

Any plans for the inside?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online