Key piece of gear for Bear Country.

jpachard

Adventurer
Just to keep this all in perspective the most dangerous critter any of us will run into in the woods is another two legger. Good mews is bear spray works on them too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crazysccrmd

Observer
OK, heading to Montana for a couple weeks. Will be with others and multiple vehicles at most campsites. After splitting up will be alone for a week or so. I see some recommend Spray, handgun, shotgun, air horn and Dog or all of them. I will have my dog (110 lb) but not real mean ;) I have my CHL and carry most all the time but only a 9mm. The biggest pistol I currently own is a 357 revolver. No shotgun but I can buy.

Not being an arsehole but those that carry all of above how do you know which to grab first? Campsite you may have time to choose a bit and scare away... but hiking it may require fast decision... seems pistol or spray may be fastest? Sorry OP's ink not working so could not read :(

Pick up a good holster and carry the 357 with HSM or Buffalo Bore bear loads on you all the time. They will work for two legged predators if need be, work well for black bear and be marginal for brown bear. Buy an 18” shotgun and Brenneke Black Magic slugs to keep around camp. Get some bear spray as well for the camp and when hiking around. For my wife and I we both carry (357 and 44) and she carries the bear spray. If we’re in an area with a lot of browns I’ll sling the shotgun as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior