Keweenaw Peninsula , Michigan's U.P- A Short Photo Essay

taco2go

Explorer
IMG2113-L.jpg

The Keweenaw Peninsula deserves it's own thread on the forum. I'm always excited to get a chance to visit this scenic portion of Michigan's Upper Peninsula- and was happy to be able to spend a couple of days this past week with the family exploring the northern shoreline around Copper Harbor.

Please visit this amazing strip of land if you get the chance. Michigan’s own little Newfoundland- without the whales.:)

The Keweenaw Peninsula should be on every Michigan history buff's radar- there is no other place in the state that provides such an extensive look at the remnants of mining towns and communities that thrived in the 19th century, providing the country with the finest, purest copper in the world. It offers a fascinating glimpse into the lives of the courageous and hardy families that established their lives in this remote outpost, enduring long hard winters in places only accessible by boats navigating the unpredictable waters of lake Superior.

It now offers some of region’s best off pavement routes with plenty of old forest service and mining roads to get lost in. Lots of opportunity for remote camping, right alongside Pre Cambrian rock formations, agate lined beaches, and sandstone cliffs, now shaped by an awe inspiring body of water.

Or you could just come to check out one of the world's best mountain biking trails, in Copper harbor, duly certified by the IMBA

Or ride the famous Brockaway Mountain drive in your dual sport

Or just hang out at the world famous Gay Bar in Gay Michigan.
i-6zt2GQj-M.jpg

Just remember to bring your camera.:)
I hope you enjoy some of these pictures of a truly remarkable corner of the UP.

taco2go

Explorer
IMG1398-XL.jpg

With more chances of passing thunderstorms, these next couple of months make for good times in picture taking, and fractal exploration- plus the UP Overland Juggernaut is right around the corner. Happy trails !
i-7tdvMg8-S.jpg

ywen

Explorer
great pics! i love keweenaw! We went up there a couple of years ago and saw our first northern lights at Cooper Harbor during August summer.

Pathfinder

Adventurer
Great set of images, very nicely rendered.

Reminds me of my trip in 2001 when I rode around Superior and up to Copper Harbor on my ST1100. I was there again after the Very Boring Rally on my GS.

I plan to return this fall perhaps in my FJC.

Thanks for these pictures.

taco2go

Explorer
Thanks Nate and ywen- the northern lights would have been special. did you catch any pictures?

I plan to return this fall perhaps in my FJC.

Thanks for these pictures.

Thanks! I am going to try very hard to make a trip back to that area in the fall as well. Maybe also go west towards the sturgeon river gorge if possible.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Nice pics as always Joash! Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet up. We ended up just staying down along the southern part by Fayette and the 2nd night over by the Soo. You should hit Fayette Sate Park It is an awesome place for a photographer of your caliber.

I finally picked up a Canon T2i right before we left for the trip. I love it but have a looong way to go on learning how to use it. I just ordered some basic stuff for it too.

Jay H

servicedriven.org
Nice photos. Took me right back to the great time I had at copper harbor. Thanks for reminding me how much I want to go back there again.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Wow Joash, :Wow1: I just saw this series. Looks like an awesome place to explore and enjoy. Excellent series of images. Thanks for sharing them all.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles