Kenyan Safari

naks

Hi everyone,

Just got back from a 2-week trip to Kenya, the main purpose of which was to do a safari in the Mara.

We stayed at Angama Mara for 5 nights - amazing lodge on the escarpment overlooking the Mara.

For the movie buffs, quite a few scenes from the movie Out of Africa were filmed there - the opening sequence, the picnic scene, etc.

Link to the Google Photos album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/7Ktsb2LFqbqUEPCs8

Here are a few photos:
normal_NAK_1657.JPG

normal_NAK_1663.JPG

normal_NAK_1685.JPG

normal_NAK_1689.JPG

normal_NAK_1743.JPG

normal_NAK_1748.JPG

normal_NAK_1784.JPG

normal_NAK_1789.JPG

normal_NAK_1801.JPG

normal_NAK_1806.JPG

normal_NAK_1844.JPG

normal_NAK_1902.JPG

normal_NAK_1955.JPG

normal_NAK_1997.JPG

normal_NAK_2006.JPG

normal_NAK_2019.JPG

normal_NAK_2023.JPG

normal_NAK_2027.JPG

normal_NAK_2067.JPG

normal_NAK_2070.JPG

naks

thanks chaps!

After the Mara, we headed to Sasaab Lodge(https://www.thesafaricollection.com/properties/sasaab/), in Samburu. It was very hot & dry, and very dusty, and the game viewing was not as extensive, but a nice experience in a very different landscape than the Mara.

normal_NAK_2404.JPG

normal_NAK_2408.JPG

normal_NAK_2420.JPG

normal_NAK_2423.JPG

normal_NAK_2433.JPG

normal_NAK_2455.JPG

normal_NAK_2463.JPG

normal_NAK_2475.JPG

normal_NAK_2478.JPG

normal_NAK_2481.JPG

normal_NAK_2487.JPG

normal_NAK_2488.JPG

normal_NAK_2492.JPG

normal_NAK_2500.JPG

normal_NAK_2504.JPG

normal_NAK_2506.JPG

normal_NAK_2509.JPG

normal_NAK_2514.JPG

If you are a fan of giraffes, this photo will be very interesting to you: it is a giraffe sleeping on the ground. It is so rare that this is only the second time that our guide had seen it in over 25 years of guiding all over Kenya!
normal_NAK_2524.JPG

It was also our very first time seeing a gerenuk!
normal_NAK_2521.JPG

Last edited:
The pic of the vultures devouring the elephant sure is a heart breaker. Any idea what took it down ?

Your pics are always amazing. You should think about telling your story as well. Thanks for posting here.

naks

The pic of the vultures devouring the elephant sure is a heart breaker. Any idea what took it down ?

Your pics are always amazing. You should think about telling your story as well. Thanks for posting here.
Thanks mate

According to the guide, the elephant died of natural causes a couple of days before we got there, it was an old one.

Will post some more stuff tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

naks

Rainy season, no?
Not quite: we arrived in the Mara just after the rains/just before the migration.

As for Samburu, it hasn't rained there at all - the photo of the elephant carcass, that was in the dry river bed. They are in the midst of a drought right now - the camels are doing a lot better than the other animals.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Not quite: we arrived in the Mara just after the rains/just before the migration.

As for Samburu, it hasn't rained there at all - the photo of the elephant carcass, that was in the dry river bed. They are in the midst of a drought right now - the camels are doing a lot better than the other animals.

Was guessing because of the clear. blue skies and greenery. Great photos!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Nice work!

I went to look at the Metadata - very pleased to see you getting these results with a relatively modest setup - DX camera and not huge apertures. Looks like you topped out w/ a 300mm lens? Care to share what glass you used?

EDIT: Oops, I see some shots out in the 500mm range - now I'm really curious what lens! :D

naks

Nice work!
I went to look at the Metadata - very pleased to see you getting these results with a relatively modest setup - DX camera and not huge apertures. Looks like you topped out w/ a 300mm lens? Care to share what glass you used?
EDIT: Oops, I see some shots out in the 500mm range - now I'm really curious what lens! :D

Yeah, when we upgraded from my circa 2006 Nikon D40 + Tamron 18-270mm, we looked at an FX body, but the weight & size would have been too much for my wife.

So we settled on the Nikon D5600 + Nikkor 200-500mm. We only use the big lens on safari, otherwise we have a Nikkor 18-300mm for everyday use, works very well.

Hey Naks.....I was curious last night and clicked on the link that you provided for Angama Mara. I started browsing their website and found myself thinking maybe I'd like to take a trip to Africa (one continent that I've yet to visit) to view the wildlife & climb something. I've actually read Out of Africa several times and have viewed the movie multiple times (I'm a dreamer). Anyhow, I clicked on the rates and wasn't prepared for this.....US$10,750 per night peak season.....approximately US$7,000 per night standard season.....approximately US$6,000 per night special deals ? Is that really what regular people (not Meryl Streep / Robert Redford type people) are paying to go on safari these days ? Just curious.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles