Kenyan Safari

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Yeah, when we upgraded from my circa 2006 Nikon D40 + Tamron 18-270mm, we looked at an FX body, but the weight & size would have been too much for my wife.

So we settled on the Nikon D5600 + Nikkor 200-500mm. We only use the big lens on safari, otherwise we have a Nikkor 18-300mm for everyday use, works very well.

Yeah, we started very similarly - D90 + the same Tamron, but I started realizing I was leaving the kit at home some times because of size/weight - I switched to Micro 4/3 and it carries like a rangefinder, but shoots at least as well as the DX whenever the light is decent. (Small sensor is unhappy doing Astro shoots). I'm sold on the size, sensor-stabilization, and weather sealing, so it'd be a stretch to go back.

I could definitely rent some huge glass if we were doing Safari, but I also think I've got access to enough F-mount stuff and a speedbooster-adapter that I could hit similar focal lengths and apertures as your shots with my current kit. Thanks for sharing!

naks

Hey Naks.....I was curious last night and clicked on the link that you provided for Angama Mara. I started browsing their website and found myself thinking maybe I'd like to take a trip to Africa (one continent that I've yet to visit) to view the wildlife & climb something. I've actually read Out of Africa several times and have viewed the movie multiple times (I'm a dreamer). Anyhow, I clicked on the rates and wasn't prepared for this.....US$10,750 per night peak season.....approximately US$7,000 per night standard season.....approximately US$6,000 per night special deals ? Is that really what regular people (not Meryl Streep / Robert Redford type people) are paying to go on safari these days ? Just curious.....

Yep, the tourism industry in countries like Botswana, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, etc., have been aimed at the wealthy US market for a very long time.

There are other lodges that don't cost nearly as much, and you will end up seeing the same animals anyway, but at a fraction of the cost.

The reason we went to Angama is that my SIL's MIL grew up with the founder of the lodge, so the 6 of us got the 'family & friends' discount, otherwise it would not have been possible for us either. Our five-night stay cost us $7k per couple, and mind you, the exchange rate is about 16 to the dollar for us

I know I'm biaised, but ZA is far more bang for buck, although you won't get the same 'magic' as the Mara or the Serengeti.

BTW, I left out a small detail: we illegally crossed into Tanzania one day when we saw some lions on that side. At one point we all stood on the border with one foot in the Mara and the other in the Serengeti

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94