Kenworth K270/K370 and Peterbilt Model 200 4x4 Conversion and Misc Questions

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
With shock technology coming along, I'm wondering when/if on-the-fly adjustable shocks will become a reality and whether it will be something that improves ride quality and varied terrain of expo sized vehicles.
I can not speak for 'large vehicles', but I have friends that have Polaris RZRs with the active suspension and they rave that it is pure magic. It adjusts something like 100 per second and even sets up for future terrain. Such as when they go over a jump, it, of course, knows it is going to 'land' so increases the compression, and the instance it makes contact, decreased the setting for a smooth landing.
Pretty impressive. DYNAMIX, ACTIVE SUSPENSION

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Yeah, that’s the kind of thing I’m talking about. Like many auto advancements, a lot of it comes out of the racing world.

I don’t know why it wouldn’t work on larger trucks. Wouldn’t even need to be nearly as sensitive.

I wonder if trophy trucks run them.

Last edited:

quickfarms

Adventurer
My personal experience is that the CDL does help and eliminate a lot of questions that my friends get asked and I do not get asked.

My big rig cruises at 58 and you just sit back and enjoy the scenery.

My latest creation will hit the governor at triple digits. I have had it up to 75 and that’s not relaxing. It handles beautifully at about 65.

TheFlyHighKid

Not sure driving a bare 2wd chassis is going to tell you much since without any weight it is not going to ride very well and the front suspension and tires will be nothing like the final build.

Maybe you could take a GXV for a test drive at GXV if they have one available.

The 4wd conversion has gone through several phases. Ours was the 3rd one delivered and has had several suspension upgrades and also new seats to replace the OEM ones. Not sure about changes in the last two years. Ours had the following upgrades as they became available: King Shocks, front airbags, and added leaf to front springs. Along with the seat upgrades this made the ride very acceptable on the highway and off the highway. We also have the manual front hub locks which were not available on the first builds.
Thanks! I'm not only interested in road manners, but also in cab decibels. I spend a lot of time in commercial type rigs that are just too damned loud to be my personal vehicle. I don't want to have to wear a headset and communicate with my passengers via mic:) I'm hoping that you all find, and I will find, that some judicious use of sound matting, thinsulate, foam, etc under and inside the cab can manage that issue.

TheFlyHighKid

Regarding CDL: nobody nowhere has actually asked for my CDL. But a CDL is definitely legally required for >7.5 metric tons for UK, EU, Australia, etc. RVs included.
Regarding “”King shocks” in Montrose Colorado: stay away!!!! They’re totally incompetent. Fortunately, I think they went out of business. I refer to “Road King”, definitely not King Shocks, the mfg of off-road racing and small 4x4 shocks. They aren’t incompetent; they just don’t respond well to inquiries about their truck shocks.
I think Road King just stole the name of the more legitimate company. I got burned by them.
Lame:(

gregmchugh

Observer
Thanks! I'm not only interested in road manners, but also in cab decibels. I spend a lot of time in commercial type rigs that are just too damned loud to be my personal vehicle. I don't want to have to wear a headset and communicate with my passengers via mic:) I'm hoping that you all find, and I will find, that some judicious use of sound matting, thinsulate, foam, etc under and inside the cab can manage that issue.

Some of the GXV Kenworth owners have done that, maybe they will provide some info on the results...

waveslider

Outdoorsman
By far, the sound deadening and insulation cab project was the single most impactful project I’ve done to the Kenworth.

It was a decent sound project but truly a game changer in the insulation dept.

DzlToy

Explorer
Contact Sound Deadener Showdown for info on how to properly sound deaden a cab. Hint: covering every square inch in DynaMat is NOT the answer. Different products are required to attenuate different frequencies and when installed properly, these products will significantly reduce time, weight and money, when compared to the 'cover-it-all' philosophy.

Cabover trucks ride like ********. That is the plain truth. Commercial truck seats, suspensions and tires are simply not designed with comfort in mind. You will spend a small fortune getting a COE to ride like a $5,000 used car. Fox and King make decent dampers, but quality and customer service has suffered in recent years, according to contacts in the industry. An MDT has a lot of mass to control, whether that is a camper box or tire & wheel combos that weigh 250 - 350 pounds. Check out Reiger, as that is what most of the Dakar trucks are running.

Suspension seats are a Catch .22. A fixed-mounted suspension seat allows you to move in the seat, leaving you 'unrestrained' in a crash. Air ride seats are even worse. Seats and tires are not suspension, they are Band-Aids for poor engineering and design.

Consider a high end suspension seat from Mastercraft Safety, Sparco or Recaro if you are going down that path. Alternatively, you can buy an alloy or carbon shell that is too large and have a company like BCSI pour 3-4" of foam, contouring the seat to your body. Total cost is in the $500 - $700 range, including the seat.

Fusos, NPRs and KWs are commercial trucks made to carry heavy loads for hundreds of thousands of miles. They are not designed to travel at 80 MPH, drive cross-country or be comfortable. If you want comfort, buy a used LX570 and use the money you save to have one hell of a good time. If you are certain that you want a large 'expedition vehicle' be prepared to make compromises or spend lots of money making it into what you want it to be.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
With shock technology coming along, I'm wondering when/if on-the-fly adjustable shocks will become a reality and whether it will be something that improves ride quality and varied terrain of expo sized vehicles.
Now an option on the Ford Raptor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles