Kenworth K370 6X6 with BoxManufaktur Habitat & Torsion Free Subframe

gregmchugh

Observer
I can't speak for your exact truck, but when I inquired with Tulsa about converting a k270 to 4x4, they were spec'ing it with a Marmon Herrington MVG-750 two speed transfer case. Ultimately I think that will be too big of a truck for our needs, but I'm really liking what your putting together @DeAusten !!

-Chris

That is the transfer case Tulsa Truck used for our K-370 conversion in 2017…

The MX17 not only offers front diff lock, but CTIS!!
Do you know what rear axles were used? It’s possible you could somewhat easily retrofit CTIS if you don’t already have it, though one needs to be more careful using it with 22.5s and without beadlocks. But it’s immensely useful in prevention and treatment of getting stuck.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
This is awesome!

Love following people with a plan on exactly what they want and making it happen and the steps along the way!

This is going to be amazing! Respect!

Question, with all those roof hatches, how/where are you mounting the solar?

My build is about half the size of yours and i struggled with finding a balance with roof openings and solar placement. At the end of the day, i chose less hatches, more solar, but the decision wasnt easy

Ramdough

Adventurer
Are the floors hydronic heated? I see lines drawn on the floor or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alloy

Correct, front locker as well. The front axle is a Meritor MX-17. I'm not sure what the transfer case is bolted up, I'll take a look next time I'm under the truck.

The engine is a Paccar PX-7, 265HP, 660ft lbs of torque. The transmission is an Allison 2500 RDS. The engine in it's current form is one of those negatives I spoke about before. I think it's something I'd like to build up a bit in the future, but is fairly low on my list of things to do.
We had one of the earlier PX7. The emissions stuff kept it off the road allot. From what I've heard the later PX7 are really good.

Love the build!

gregmchugh

Observer
We had one of the earlier PX7. The emissions stuff kept it off the road allot. From what I've heard the later PX7 are really good.

Love the build!

We have 70,000 miles in 4 years on our PX7 K-370 with no emissions issues. Did have a rear main seal go under warranty.

This is awesome!

Love following people with a plan on exactly what they want and making it happen and the steps along the way!

My build is about half the size of yours and i struggled with finding a balance with roof openings and solar placement. At the end of the day, i chose less hatches, more solar, but the decision wasnt easy
Even with my relatively small 2.3 x 4.8m roof, I have 3 reversible roof vent/fans yet also 950w solar (5 x 190w).

DeAusten

The MX17 not only offers front diff lock, but CTIS!!
Do you know what rear axles were used? It’s possible you could somewhat easily retrofit CTIS if you don’t already have it, though one needs to be more careful using it with 22.5s and without beadlocks. But it’s immensely useful in prevention and treatment of getting stuck.

Totally agree. I figured at some point I'd try and add CTIS, either internal or removable external, but I have a few items on the todo list prior. I'm not positive of the exact model number on the rear. It's a Meritor rated at 44,000 lbs.

DeAusten

This is awesome!

Really appreciate the support. I spent some time reading up on your build. It's amazing! Congrats.

To your question on the roof hatches: I struggled with the same thing and ultimately decided windows and light were more important to me. Prior to the box being built I tried to lay out the hatches in a way that allowed me to maximize solar, and I used Renogy solar panel dimensions as my guide. This is my most recent iteration on solar but I believe I can actually fit more than 1340 watts on the roof.

Attachments

• IMG_0312.PNG
    IMG_0312.PNG
    165.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0309.JPG
    IMG_0309.JPG
    470.5 KB · Views: 112

DeAusten

Are the floors hydronic heated? I see lines drawn on the floor or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good eye, the floors are plumbed for hydronic heat. I'm looking forward to learning a bit more about hydronic as I start the interior build.

DeAusten

Love the build!
I've heard good things on PX-7 reliability. One of the reasons I'm hesitant to modify the engine too much, but the lack of power is something that will certainly need to be addressed.

We have 70,000 miles in 4 years on our PX7 K-370 with no emissions issues. Did have a rear main seal go under warranty.
I'm curious if you've had any work done to increase the HP/torque from your PX-7?

gregmchugh

Observer
I've heard good things on PX-7 reliability. One of the reasons I'm hesitant to modify the engine too much, but the lack of power is something that will certainly need to be addressed.

I'm curious if you've had any work done to increase the HP/torque from your PX-7?
No but I have heard of a current GXV Kenworth owner who is planning an engine/transmission swap.

Alloy

Really appreciate the support. I spent some time reading up on your build. It's amazing! Congrats.

To your question on the roof hatches: I struggled with the same thing and ultimately decided windows and light were more important to me. Prior to the box being built I tried to lay out the hatches in a way that allowed me to maximize solar, and I used Renogy solar panel dimensions as my guide. This is my most recent iteration on solar but I believe I can actually fit more than 1340 watts on the roof.

I have 4 x 330W Panasonic on the roof + another 4x330w portable. The portable don't get used much spring and fall because we park in full sun but they get used in the summer while parked in the shade and in winter.

There was room for 2 more 330W on the roof but I wanted a pathway to be able to tilt the panels and remove branches that get stuck under the panels.

With 3 different size panels won't you need 3 controllers?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183

Thank you!

Wow, excellent plan and layout!

Puts into perspective how large the roof is, very nice!!!

greg.potter

Adventurer
Good eye, the floors are plumbed for hydronic heat. I'm looking forward to learning a bit more about hydronic as I start the interior build.

How are you planning on installing the tubing on/in the floor and are you thinking of a floor covering that provides some thermal mass? I have been casually trying to find light weight alternatives to products like gypcrete but haven't come across anything yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles