Kenwood TM-D710GA Programing

Owyhee

ICU Nurse, Shepherd, Father.
Just made the small step up from my Baofeng UV-5R and ordered a Kenwood TM-D710GA!
To program the UV-5R I just ordered a cable off of amazon and downloaded Chirp. I am under the assumption that programming the Kenwood is going to be a little more complicated than the UV-5R, and that it is necessary to purchase RT systems KRS-d710 software and cable. I know that you can program it manually without a laptop, as demonstrated in this youtube Video; however, I want to utilize APRS, GPS tracking and don't believe I will be able to accomplish that with Chirp.

Owyhee

ICU Nurse, Shepherd, Father.
Putting this here for reference for those in the future with the same questions.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Long story but my former D710A died (my fault) and had to purchase a new D710G last year. I'm a Mac guy and have used CHIRP before but decided to try RT Systems software from my MBPro on the 710A and then again on my 710G. 100% happy so far. I'm sure I would have liked the free Kenwood programming software but I don't run a MS partition on my MBPro and no desire to (been there done that).

BagiMT

Naturalist
I have not used the RT Systems software but many people seem to like it. You can use CHIRP with the TM-D710 but you will only be able to program frequencies, you can't save or change any of there other settings. If you are on Windows, the Kenwood MCP-6A software (https://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/mcp6a_e.html) can do all of that. Personally I use the Kenwood software to save settings and CHIRP to program repeaters from repeaterbook into my different radios (Kenwood mobile and Yaesu handheld). The nice things about CHIRP is that you can easily upload the same frequency list to different radios. None of these software help with APRS or GPS tracking (except for programming the settings).

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
If you're a long time Mac user and happen to have some very old serial printer cables around you can make your own TM-V71/TM-D710 programming cable from one of them since they used the same mini DIN-8 connector.

Add a serial<->USB adapter and Bob's your uncle since Chirp and Kenwood software is free (do consider kicking in a few bucks to Chirp if you're so moved).

RT Systems makes great cables, I have several. Just an option if you want to roll your own.

IMG_1752_mid.jpg

IMG_1753_mid.jpg

Last edited:

skyfree

I used this USB cable for firmware updating since I couldn't find a computer with a serial port. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087C12VT8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note that if you are buying a new TM-D710GA (from HRO for me) you might run into the same problem I did. There is a problem with the firmware where it broadcasts a "1" dtmf tone when you push to talk, about 1/3rd of the time. Kenwood has a firmware download that fixed it. That firmware fix came out in November. I bought the radio in October 2020. Download and install it if you are having the problem BEFORE programming your radio. The firmware update wipes all of your settings.

I couldn't get the kenwood programming software to work using that cable, but I didn't try very hard. Since the firmware update software worked I don't think it was the cable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94