Kenwood TM-D710G Install - Advice?

SmoothLC

Explorer
Anyone know if you can update the firmware in the Kenwood TM-D710G using the RT Systems USB cable plugged into the main body (same cable used to program the radio)? Thanks!

moose545

I think you need a different cable.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/bulk-loading-with-the-kenwood-tm-d710.688743/#post-5331629

I ordered my PG-5 finally, curious how to try and bulk load frequencies to the radio now from Chirp Repeaterbook access; I think it’s a push to from Chirp, then edit after you pull from the radio using RT Systems or the Kenwood software. Rethinking it all and think I need a paperback Repeaterbook copy to be safe, seeing how you’d never remember what frequency was stored as what, that and the “GPS use of what repeater is near me” function on the app and APRS.FI would be sufficient. The Garmin in-reach mini is cool, but it requires subscription and has no map at all, thinking of returning it for one with both like the GPSMAP64 SX or in-Reach Explorer+ seems you get more functionality should you be out of cell range to hotspot my service to iPad for maps, thoughts?

SmoothLC

Explorer
I checked with RT Systems and it looks like their cable will work but have to connect it to the faceplate.

unsung

Tried to program the unit yesterday with Chirp but keep getting an error message when trying to connect just after guessing at which port to select.

I am hooked into the main unit with a USB adapter.

unsung

I may not be on the right one. There is a COM on the back of the head unit, and a DATA and PC on the main box. I tried to go to the PC point.

BTW, passed my Technician test yesterday!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles