Kenwood DNX 7100 Questions

Carlyle

Explorer
Has anyone out there used this unit and have any pros and cons on the ability to program the Garmin inside it?

Thanks ahead of time!

Carlyle

Explorer
Sounds like the 8120 is the unit to go with. It seems to do all the things I want it to. Now I just need to convince the better half!

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Excuse the stupidity of this question but...........

Why not just get the Asus R2H in your vehicle? Looks like it does all the same stuff, but it's removeable, has internet capabilities, and if you search around, it's cheaper that the Kenwood Unit. Maybe this isn't what you're looking for, I don't know. But it's an option that looks pretty sweet, and I've seen one in a new JK at Moab.

Carlyle

Explorer
It does look like a good alternative, but you still have to mount it after you pay the $1000 for another pc. I already have a laptop and don't need another. Also, I don't think it runs Garmin, which is the nicest thing about the Kenwood unit. I guess it just a matter of preference and ascetics.

Maddmatt

Explorer
I've played with this unit a bit - great Garmin nav system, but to my knowledge you CAN'T up or download track logs or other navigation information. It's all handled through an SD card in the Sat. Radio box. I actually had a Garmin rep tell me that there's nothing in the software preventing it, so it must be a hardware problem, and a Kenwood rep telling me that the hardware is all there, so its a software problem, on the same day. Confusing I know.

I also found the audio/video interface to be a bit counter-intuitive at first, but once you've used it for a trip or two it becomes quite easy.

In my opinion its a great unit for general use, where am I? lets listen to the IPOD, type stuff but if you're into uploading tracks or sharing that information, to my knowledge you'll be out of luck.
-Matt

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
Carlyle said:
It does look like a good alternative, but you still have to mount it after you pay the $1000 for another pc. I already have a laptop and don't need another. Also, I don't think it runs Garmin, which is the nicest thing about the Kenwood unit. I guess it just a matter of preference and ascetics.

Oh okay, makes sense. I'm to stupid with technology to know why something is prefered over something else. I'm new to GPS, iPOD and all those things. By the way, RAM does make a sweet mount for the Asus computer and if I remember correctly, it comes loaded with Garmin maps and was designed to work with Garmin specifically. That said, the Kenwood looks extremely nice, good luck!

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
We run the 7100 and a laptop. We just finally figured out how to run topo on the 7100 which we used on our trip to CO. Still doesn't beat running the laptop, but it did have some cool information on it including campground, mines, graveyards, etc. We have used the SD card to upload POI's and use them as breadcrumbs to navigate a trail...not easy.

Our next project is figuring out how to upload tracks.

There are things I like about this unit and things I don't. Frankly I'm not that impressed with the Garmin Nav software around town. Josh has the Pioneer Z1 in his car and it is much nicer...the maps are high quality, the directions are better, and the XM interface is nicer. On the Kenwood the maps look like they were drawn by a 5 year old with crayons, sometimes the directions tell you where to go, and sometimes they don't (such as destination on the LEFT). One thing the Kenwood has over the Pioneer is its a bit more user friendly when it comes to navigating they system. In fact, the whole thing kind of looks like a cartoon with big buttons so its easy to figure out how to get to whatever setting/control you are looking for. We have added a backup camera to ours which is a nice feature.

IMO before figuring out the topo thing, if I had it to do all over again I would have hoped we would have gone with the Pioneer instead of the Kenwood. Now with the topo option I'm still kind of on the fence...maybe if we can figure out the tracks thing I'll be a full believer.

With that said we still run a laptop and always will. You just can't beat something that you can run 3 different map programs on at the same time, connect to the internet, download pics or video from your camera on the road, type up your daily blog entry and still carry into an internet cafe at some random stop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94