Kelty Carport good or bad?

slowtwitch

Adventurer
I've read what there is on this site. Seems folks like them, but they are prone to rips at the corners due to to too much tension. I wonder if this was remedied in later iterations.

Any additional thoughts? There should be some out there that have some good use by now. They are no longer made but available pretty cheap on the net.

I'm torn between the Kelty, Bus Depot or Kirkhams. Leaning towards the Kirkhams b/c made in US and dead simple. A center pole to shed rain better would be easy. But If I can get one of the Kelty's really cheap...

Would the large be the best fit for a Tundra DC?

Thanks,

st

slowtwitch

Adventurer
You bet that's an option too. As soon as I get all the info I need I'll make a decision. I have a line on the Kelty really cheap, with warranty. It has walls. It's ready to go so I can spend time on the other things I am for sure making on my own.

st

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
I have two of the large Kelty carports that I use in different applications. Both have done duty for three plus years with no problems. As in any of these types of structures, securing them properly is the biggest thing you can do to extend their life expectancy.

storman113

I use mine with my jeep and have had no problems. With a couple of tent poles I can make it freestanding.

Jeep_Kelty_front.jpg

spressomon

Expedition Leader
We had a Kelty Carport Deluxe and used it quite extensively up until the time we moved our AT Horizon downstream so to speak. No complaints at all including any about durability.

AT Horizon Kelty Carport DV.jpg

AT Horizon with Kelty Carport.jpg

outdoornate65

Adventurer
I just spent a rainy/snowy weekend standing under one while camping here in Colorado. My buddy rigged it up with some poles to create a big awning instead of a shelter. It held-up pretty good against some wind and storms over the course of the weekend. I do question the durability but think if you beefed-up the areas prone to stress, it would be pretty bomber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior