Kelly Point Overlook G.C.N.P. very remote vehicle access

sourdoughben

Wow, this overlook is 100 miles south of St. George on graded dirt. The last 27 miles was unimproved and took 4+ hours. The last section has two historic ranches
the Mathis "VT" ranch which I would have loved to have seen but it was behind a locked gate on private property.
Mathis ranch marker.jpeg
36°09'04.2"N 113°32'05.7"W location of kiosk below
mathis %22VT%22 ranch marker.jpeg
and further down the road, the Waring Ranch. The Kely Point Overlook Rd. passes right thru with a structure on each side of the trail
waring ranch 1.jpegwaring ranch 2.jpegwaring ranch 3.jpeg
Past the Waring ranch is where the adventure began and the "road" is more of a 25+ mile trail to Kelly Point Overview. Upto the Green Spring Creek crossing there was a set of vehicle tracks. None crossed the gully out the far side.
green springs crossing a.jpeggreen springs croossing b.jpeg
After the creek crossing the trail was narrow and rocky which kept travel speeds very low.
kelly point road b.jpeg
There was several dead fall trees across the trail. To be continued on next post.

Attachments

• kelly point road a.jpeg
    kelly point road a.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

sourdoughben

Fortunately the trees were small.
kelly point road tree fall c.jpegkelly point road tree d.jpegkelly point road tree fall e.jpeg
After more than 8 hours driving on 100 miles of dirt and wondering what lied ahead. I was very happy to reach the rim
kelly point overview a.jpeg
kelly point overview b.jpeg
and finding a fire ring within 10 ft. of the edge. This camp spot made it all worth while.

Kelly Point Overlook North Rim G.C.N.P.  a.jpeg
Kelly Point overlook north rim G.C.N.P. b.jpeg

The night was absent of noise and the sky full of stars and I saw many shooting before falling asleep.

Have been out there in my Ford E350 extended body van it made the creek crossing interesting. The road is long and rough making the view all the beautiful. I recommend spending a couple of days out there.

Expendable

Wow, sounds like a nice overlanding trip if you are relatively local. Drive out, camp one night and then drive back. Definitely adding to my bucket list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior