Keeping your vehicle cool

MyNameIsMud

I'm sure you've all seen these, but the Land Rover safari roof option deserves a mention here.

iu

Photobug

I'm sure you've all seen these, but the Land Rover safari roof option deserves a mention here.

That could be easily done with my truck. Mounting some white plywood onto my roof rack would give instant shade and a place to store stuff. My white tarp shows up today and i may be camping this weekend. It is supposed to get hot also, 80 degrees in hot around here.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
All cars should have a 12v computer style fan drawing air from directly underneath the parked vehicle and venting thru the sunroof or something once a certain temp threshold is hit. Low draw, probably more benefit than a roof shade

Photobug

80* hot? I don't think so, try 104 in the shade!
I have lived in New Orleans and spent summers near Fresno. No thanks. Where I live it is shorts weather in the 40s, 80s is hot, not sure how I will survive Baja this fall.

My white tarp showed up. I calculated my intended tarp set up will take 13 poles to erect my wife suggested I just buy an awning.

Photobug

Definitely use some caution on how you affix it - there's likely some value in letting air under it but don't underestimate the force an airfoil like that can generate at highway speeds.

Figured it would be easy to attach to the lumber rack. I just bought an add-on intermediate bar to attach a kayak rack. It would be nice to have more intermediate support to attach more stuff to the roof.20190608_130133_sm.jpg

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
For my van I made shades for all the windows out of REFLECTIX Insulation. WOW what a difference. Then I had a roof vent put in and it really helps. If I am away from the vehicle I also use these vents in the windows made out of eavestrough covers with screen glued on the back.

027.jpg

If I am at the van I made a screen for the window that covers the entire window with screen and I have a screen at the back doors as well.

Photobug

For my van I made shades for all the windows out of REFLECTIX Insulation. WOW what a difference. Then I had a roof vent put in and it really helps. If I am away from the vehicle I also use these vents in the windows made out of eavestrough covers with screen glued on the back.

If I am at the van I made a screen for the window that covers the entire window with screen and I have a screen at the back doors as well.

I had just instaled Reflectix 360 degrees around the truck shell. Then when I arrived at the campsite I put the tarp all the way over the top of the shell. Climbing into the back of the shell the temp felt less than outside of the shell. Not sure what made it so but between a tap over the top and reflectix.... Wow big difference. Opening up the truck cab it was hot, damn hot. The cooler stored in this cab had plenty of ice but the area above the ice was also probably near 100 degrees. The beer at the bottom was cool but anything above the ice layer was questionable.

Photobug

The white tarp arrived yesterday and I just added grommets to tie it to the place I want on the truck. What I would like to do is have it lashed to the roof rack at a predetermined location. Instead of tying it afresh each time, I would like to make a paracord loop with a hook on it so it is easy to set up each time. The only thing I can think of that I know is strong enough is a carabiner but would like something smaller. I am thinking something like this link but doubt they would be strong enough to hold up in a breeze. Any suggestions?

dreadlocks

They sell those at lowes over by the chain section that has a swivel loop at one end and a clip at the other.. if they hold a dog on a dog-run the'll hold a tarp.

shade

They sell those at lowes over by the chain section that has a swivel loop at one end and a clip at the other.. if they hold a dog on a dog-run the'll hold a tarp.
I've seen those referred to as snap hooks.

@Photobug - If you find that there's a lot of flapping & tugging at those anchor points, you may try adding a loop of heavy shock cord to the tarp or rack end to soak up the stress.

rayra

Expedition Leader

iu

That is basically the idea I was copying with my roof deck. It makes a major difference on interior temps. This was Mk1. Mk2 deleted the handholds and extended the nose closer to the sunroof. Mk3 is in the planning, hoping to used some UHDPE / Marine Star Board. And Mk2 has a folding solar panel in a locking frame, which makes it easy to remove and deploy the panel elsewhere.

roofrack55.jpg
roofrack52.jpg

eta here's Mk2 -

solarpanelmount85 installed.jpg
[/img]

And I forgot to mention / add the window inserts with 12VDC computer fans that I've made.

I did the huge fan firsts, scavenged off an old PC case. Then decided I didn't like how it obscured the view, so went with a row of smaller fans for a shorter overall height.

ventfans03.jpg
windowfaninsert15.jpg

Last edited:

Photobug

That is basically the idea I was copying with my roof deck. It makes a major difference on interior temps. This was Mk1. Mk2 deleted the handholds and extended the nose closer to the sunroof. Mk3 is in the planning, hoping to used some UHDPE / Marine Star Board.
roofrack52.jpg

height.

windowfaninsert15.jpg

Mk3, I am still working on Mk1, you have put a lot of effort into getting this right. Looks good tell me about your window fans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles