Keeping critters from eating your wires?

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I use an electronic beeper called a Mouse Blocker. I mounted mine on top of the battery and leave it on always. No damage since installing about four years ago. Before had at least two episodes of chewed wires and insulation. One time cost me over $400!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dstefan

Is there any truth to the notion that rodent wire damage has increased a lot in newer vehicles due to soy based wire insulation they’re attracted to? My garaged 09 Tacoma has never had a problem, but I’m thinking on replacing with a new/erTundra and pop-up camper that would have to live in the driveway.

Last edited:

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Is there any truth to the notion that rodent wire damage has increased a lot in newer vehicles due to soy based wire insulation they’re attracted to? My garaged 09 Tacoma has never had a problem, but I’m thinking on repacking with a new/erTundra and pop-up camper that would have to live in the driveway.

I heard this is true in Japanese vehicles. Or might have been just Toyota. My last two Toyota’s had lots of trouble before I got the Mouse Blocker.

GreggNY

I had one instance where some small rodent chewed up the fabric battery cover and hid a nut in it. After some research, I found a spray on amazon called Rodent Defense. It’s some all natural spray that I shoot periodically around the engine bay, control arms, and tires. Basically everywhere something could climb up and no issues since.

When we have gone on surf trips to Baja, we throw rubber snakes under our vehicles to scare off rodents. I also use them under my car in our parking garage. Works like a charm and kind of entertaining to see a mouse sneak under the truck and then scurry off in a panic when they see the "snake". You can pick them up at the Halloween stores (if they are open) this time of year. The cobras work great :)

tatanka48

Irish Spring solved the problem for me

i shave curls w/ my pocket knife and drop them anywhere the little buggers tend to be

learned from an old fisherman when i began having issues w/ trailer light wires

once i replaced the chewed wires i threw a couple shavings in the open tongue ends and a couple chunks on the axles and... NO MORE

SIL is using the stuff in the engine bays of his pick ups and 4-wheelers w/ good luck

"T"

phsycle

Adventurer
I’ve heard of other remedies like hanging mothballs, peppermint, and wrapping them with rat repellent tape. Not sure if any of these work. Maybe get a cat.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Mouse Blocker. It really works and it’s there always. The drain on my battery is so tiny I never shut it off.
a4ab56e6537e53c2ded8329e085896ae.jpg

bkg

Explorer
Irish Spring solved the problem for me

i shave curls w/ my pocket knife and drop them anywhere the little buggers tend to be

learned from an old fisherman when i began having issues w/ trailer light wires

once i replaced the chewed wires i threw a couple shavings in the open tongue ends and a couple chunks on the axles and... NO MORE

SIL is using the stuff in the engine bays of his pick ups and 4-wheelers w/ good luck

"T"

This has only partially worked for me. Seems to be fairly effective in enclosed areas... But in my shop/barn, i've found some of the pieces (1/3 bar, +-) have been nibbled on by mice....

dstefan

I heard this is true in Japanese vehicles. Or might have been just Toyota. My last two Toyota’s had lots of trouble before I got the Mouse Blocker.
Well, that sucks, given my plan for a Tundra parked outdoors! Anybody know if it’s really just Toyota’s? I’ve seen some comments that other brands have problems too as a result of wiring sourced from China?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles