Keeping a pop-up truck camper cool

Porkchopexpress

I ordered a pop-up truck camper and the roof is just tall enough for me to stand without touching the roof while wearing shoes. If I add a roof AC, I will have to duck underneath which I could not live with. I've considered having it offset over the dinette but it would cause asymmetric drag when driving and uneven weight on the lift mechanism. I'm not sure how much of a negative effect either of those issues would cause but it would also look funny, (I'm also not even sure if the builder would do it).
I'm thinking a better solution is to have a powerful roof fan like a Maxx Air installed instead as it wouldn't hang down and would probably keep the camper cool most of the year. Then I was thinking of building a frame for a window unit like the one pictured below. Most of the year I could leave the AC at home but if I was traveling in hot climate I could take it with me along with a generator or stay somewhere with hookups.
Does anyone with experience in pop-ups or installing window units see any issues that I didn't think of?

1617719479979.png

Last edited:

Porkchopexpress

To clarify, I would not travel with the window unit installed. It would have to be stored inside and installed on site. This would not be very convenient but it would also only be seasonal in certain regions.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Good idea. We have a window unit installed in place of the pass through window. We keep it installed all the time. A Honda 2000 generator will run it. Window units are very inexpensive compared to roof top units. I think I paid $75 at HD at an end of season sale.

1000arms

You might want to look at:

Porkchopexpress

Thank you! Those links are great resources. I don't want to cut any extra holes in my new camper but seeing how other members dealt with the mechanics and the effectiveness of the results is great information.

1000arms

You are welcome!

Using trees/canopy/awning/umbrellas/... to keep the sun off the camper during the daytime will help keep the camper from turning in to an oven heated far beyond ambient air temperature.

Changing out the air inside a camper with fresh (and bug free) air will help keep the camper from turning in to an oven heated far beyond ambient air temperature.

if the air temperature drops when the sun goes down, rapidly changing out the air inside a camper with fresh (and bug free) air will help cool the camper off.

A fan blowing air directly on the occupants, combined with the above techniques, should help occupants trying to stay cool.

Drink lots of fluids (and/or cold fluids).

Add an air conditioner to the above, if still needed, and one should be good to go as long as one can power the AC. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz