Keep the Power Wagon or get a diesel flatbed???

ttengineer

Adventurer
I agree 100%! Plus you just mentioned my exact truck accept for mine is not deleted. The Aisin trans is rock sold, plus over 900 ft torque really help when towing/hauling. I plan on deleting mine and running a stock tune the first time I have any emissions issues.

To me, the reason for deleting is more for the fuel savings vs emissions headache.

A regen alone burns like an ⅛ a tank. Plus with out all that soot being redirected into the intake there is no way the engine doesn’t run more efficiently, especially over the life of the engine. Longer oil change intervals too. I honestly don’t see why more people don’t do it with the exception of those that have to get inspected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
Deezel flatbed....doet! It's only money, they'll print more! :)

GJOverlandExpoEastVehiclesBryonDorr-8-700x700.jpg

DSC_0574.jpg

David Trest

To me, the reason for deleting is more for the fuel savings vs emissions headache.

A regen alone burns like an ⅛ a tank. Plus with out all that soot being redirected into the intake there is no way the engine doesn’t run more efficiently, especially over the life of the engine. Longer oil change intervals too. I honestly don’t see why more people don’t do it with the exception of those that have to get inspected.

Not just the fuel inefficiencies, but things like the EGR reduce performance by introducing dirty air to your compression chambers. That can contaminate your oil and cause premature wear.

Plus the cost of replacing those components when they inevitably fail. Eventually a DPF won't be able to regen and you'll have to replace it. There's 4-8K gone on a replacement. Or if it's cut off because some tweaker is trying to harvest the platinum, palladium, and other precious metals used in the filters as scrap for their next hit.

Though keep in mind that technically a delete is a Federal crime, since any emissions equipment that comes from the factory must be kept on and be working. Even if you don't have inspections (diesels don't here in Texas), if you're caught it's a very hefty fine from the EPA.

Explorerinil

Observer

I agree with you, I’m not doing it because I’m still under weren’t and I know how my luck is... but I see it in my near future.

polishammer

It is a hard decisions, but lets see what the numbers say. Base PW payload is around 1450lbs, with added options it is even less. If you step up to the similar trim 2500 Diesel you are gaining only about 800lbs in payload (about 2200lbs). Now since you mentioned you would add all those off-road accessories that PW has (winch, lockers, winch bumper) then your gain in payload disappears very fast. So in reality after upgrade to 2500 Diesel you just spend all that money without not much gaining in rated payload. This is mostly due to additional weight of the Diesel engine.

If you replace your truck with standard 6.4l 2500, your payload difference would about double. (about 3000lbs) Again, add some of the off-road accessories that cause reduction in payload and you are still have fairly significant payload gain. Next step up would be upgrade to 3500 SRW, but those still have old suspension in the rear if I'm correct.

The reason for significant reduction in PW payload is suspension. The coils in the rear are softer so the truck performs better off-road. The frame, axles and other items are the same as rest of the 2500 family. Not sure if they still do, but PW usually have a warning insert in the documentation that slide in camper is a NO-NO. This is due to soft suspension and possibility of tip over while off-roading.

If it was me, I would keep the PW and add airbags as you are planning. This would give me stock suspension while the truck is not with the camper and added payload while the camper is on.
In summary, if you want better fuel economy, go Diesel, but keep in mind you will not gain much payload. If you want payload then standard 6.4l 2500 is your best bet, but trading PW for standard 6.4l 2500 is a nonsens.

Keep the PW, add the bags and call it a day. Even with other two versions many would add airbags to the rear suspension.

One other thing to keep in mind is vehicles factory GVWR rating. If you overload the truck (even if it can handle it no problem) and God forbid something happens on the road you might have to face some legal consequences. It all depends how comfortable you are with this fact.

Last edited:

AJM

Wow.
You guys from the US of A sure have an different attitude to NEEDS than most other places I know.

Blokes (and families) have driven across Asia, Africa, Australia and I dare say other continents in stock standard Land Rovers and the like.

Reading the stories suggest they had a ball doing it too. Somehow the lack of a gazillion horsepower and the ‘perfect rig’ didn’t inhibit their enjoyment.

codename607

Adventurer
I would suggest looking at this from a different point. Focus on what type of FWC you want. Have you been inside a flat bed model or a slide in? The interior room and layout is a big difference. Once you decide on the type of camper I would then look for a truck that is capable of handling the load in a stock format. Unless you plan on rock crawling the rig with the camper on back you don't need 37's or a massive lift. However, if you have unlimited amounts of money just go buy an AEV Prospector and get it converted to fit a flatbed camper. This is America and we can do that!!!

I currently have a fully stock 2018 TRD Pro Tacoma with a manual. In the back we carry a FWC Swift that was a shell empty model. I've built in items to keep the weight low. I still have a seating area for two with table, heater, sink system and most of the other things that the expensive campers have. Camper still is on the light weight side at around 900lbs when loaded...that's estimated. I'm currently getting around 19 hwy miles and 15 city miles. The truck gets me to remote places just fine and I can still take it to any dealership for services.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Wow.
You guys from the US of A sure have an different attitude to NEEDS than most other places I know.

Blokes (and families) have driven across Asia, Africa, Australia and I dare say other continents in stock standard Land Rovers and the like.

Reading the stories suggest they had a ball doing it too. Somehow the lack of a gazillion horsepower and the ‘perfect rig’ didn’t inhibit their enjoyment.

That's how we roll in Merica!

To the OP, I would look at a 1 ton single wheel gas motor truck for the FWC. I get 15 mpg at best in my powerstroke on 35s, so I could live with 12mpg in a gasser, probably the same expense since diesel is more expensive anyways. The anti-spin rear diff in the Rams is a huge POS, so get a Ford with e-locker, or get a Ram with nothing and upgrade on your own.

daveh

Adventurer
Wow.

Unfortunately in the states, bigger is better. From meals at restaurants to everything imaginable available to purchase in bulk, to vehicles. Add to that the mentality of having a nicer car/house than the next guy and the sky is the limit... a stock wrangler rubicon could take anyone through just about any overland route in America, but almost no one including myself is driving around in a stock vehicle if they regard themselves as part of the overlanding community.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Stock is boring and a lot of times goofy looking, so why be cookie cutter or a part of the herd? Break away from the masses and make your vehicle your own, that's why we modify vehicles. It's not about the fact that most stock vehicles can take us where we need to go, it's about making them do it better, faster, longer, stronger, and all while looking good. If you don't get it that's fine, it's not for everyone or even for most, but it doesn't make it wrong.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Tex, one last thing if you are indeed looking for another rig. You need to have your cash ready to pounce, once you find the best candidate. You'll also have to not be in a hurry: just the patience to know when to jump once the candidate is located.
jefe
Our layover in OR. after camping on the centerline of last year's total eclipse. The post-eclipse traffic was so bad we just pulled off into the woods and camped here leaving @ 3:30am to beat the traffic:

Here is my dropbox link to an m4v of the total eclipse:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfgweo1q2r6k79q/DSCN1114.m4v?dl=0

Ravenmad

Observer
That sir is sexy. Makes me want to ditch my Conti. MPT81s for a set of 42" I-Rocks and a flat bed. mmmmmmmm.. flat bed 4 door prospector XL, diesel with all the goodies.... Sadly, I may have to sell my truck.

Attachments

• GJOverlandExpoEastVehiclesBryonDorr-8-700x700.jpg
    GJOverlandExpoEastVehiclesBryonDorr-8-700x700.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 20180712_130728.jpg
    20180712_130728.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 115
  • 20180712_130742.jpg
    20180712_130742.jpg
    584.8 KB · Views: 104

Clutch

<---Pass
Wow.

Unfortunately in the states, bigger is better. From meals at restaurants to everything imaginable available to purchase in bulk, to vehicles. Add to that the mentality of having a nicer car/house than the next guy and the sky is the limit... a stock wrangler rubicon could take anyone through just about any overland route in America, but almost no one including myself is driving around in a stock vehicle if they regard themselves as part of the overlanding community.

It isn't just Americans...we like things big here, but some other countries have us beat for massively sized overland vehicles. Makes our 3/4-1 Ton trucks look tiny...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbCtRv_ShasJnaOKCi7N6mA

maxresdefault.jpg

Ravenmad

Observer
Say what? After all of that work you've put into it, that sucks. Can I ask why?

Its still up in the air right now. Im retiring from the Army (medical), anyways.... Trying to decide if Im going to go back to school or travel like a wandering 47 year old man with a cool truck, some camera gear and a map. lolol. We will see what the VA sess a broken neck, nerve damage and central apnea is worth. Anyways, I do really like the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles