Keep the 4th gen 4runner or go with a hdj81 (80 series diesel)?

djtc

Adventurer
So here's the deal, I need some constructive criticism on this situation I am in ( I know this may be a biased section to post in). I own a 2005 4runner with the 4.0 v6 and love the truck.However , my dream truck has always been the 80 series with the 1hdt diesel in it. Today I found a 1994 hdj81 cruiser with the 1hdt , no lockers, sun burnt paint and 195,XXX km on it (121,XXX miles) for 10 500$ cdn. A pretty good deal however I have always owned older Toyota and stepping up the the newer tech in the 2005 4 runner has made me think about my decision of getting an older truck again. The 4runner has taken me wherever I wanted to go and has been reliable. However, I always dream of getting that 80 series..or a new 4runner. So this is my dilemma ...should I sell the 4runner and get the 80 series or stick with the 4runner that already has all the modifications done to it?

I use my truck as a DD and on the weekends travelling , camping and hitting the trails.

Pros of the 4runner:
-nimble
-decent fuel mileage
-decent power
-reliable
-available parts
-good size for trails
-cheap maintenance
-already modified for my needs

Cons
-interior is not the largest out there ( I like to sleep inside but now have an RTT)
-Doesnt have that "cool factor"
-Ground clearance (low hanging parts)

Pros of the jdm 80 series:
-great diesel motor
-decent fuel economy for its size
-large interior
-reliable and very capable truck offroad
-legendary and proven truck

Cons
-insurance is more expensive
-parts for the motor are not as available as the N/A motor
-Older vehicle
-Might be harder to sell later down the road
-stock , will need to modify to my needs

the runner

the cruiser

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I love diesel 80s. Drove them in Oz way back when it was young(er). That said, I have a '99 UZJ100, and just bought a '90 Hilux as a project/flip it truck. Allow me to assure you, going back in time ain't all it's cracked up to be. If it were a diesel 100 series you might be happy, but an 80 (I've owned one too) won't be near as comfortable or user friendly. I'd say go drive it (if you haven't already), and let that tell the tale.

djtc

Adventurer
I love diesel 80s. Drove them in Oz way back when it was young(er). That said, I have a '99 UZJ100, and just bought a '90 Hilux as a project/flip it truck. Allow me to assure you, going back in time ain't all it's cracked up to be. If it were a diesel 100 series you might be happy, but an 80 (I've owned one too) won't be near as comfortable or user friendly. I'd say go drive it (if you haven't already), and let that tell the tale.

I am a Mechanically inclined guy that has experience with mostly older vehicles. I swapped a vw tdi into my 1990 hilux and converted it to mechanical injection. I loved the simplicity of the older diesels.So working on the truck doesnt scare me.I had to do the headgaskets on the 4runner 3 months after taking ownership.

I found the 80 series to feel really comfortable sort of like like a big couch . What are you referring to when you say "not so user friendly"?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The 80 is just plain heavier, and bulkier, and feels like it when driving. I had 35s under mine, and some heavy steel front and back. It wasn't bad, just not as nimble and light feeling as your Frunner. I totally get why you have the conundrum. You only live once, so what the heck. Buy the 80 and get it out of your system! If I win the lotto, I'll be putting a diesel in my 100, and a solid front axle too. But it won't have to be my dd then...

djtc

Adventurer
My plan for the 80 wouldnt be huge tires and monster lift. I just want something that will take care of Daily duties and capable enough on most trails and long trip. But then again the 4runner does all of that... arhhhg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
... arhhhg

Well said! My 80 had 33s on it when I sold it, and OME medium coils. It was no monster that's for sure. I like my 100 better in pretty much every aspect, but then, I'm older now :sombrero: The 100 has the same set up exactly (but with ATs instead of MTs for now) as my 80 did.

As I said before, have you driven the 80 yet? That will help (or not!) your decision making process, no?

djtc

Adventurer
I drove the same truck last year but had trouble getting insurance on it so I bought my 4runner instead( Insurance companies don't like RHD vehicles here). I remember it feeling like a tank compared to the hilux I had back then .It also felt a little sluggish but i am sure if I played with the injection pump ,the turbo ,and put a better flowing exhaust she would move a little better. However I loved the space and how smooth that 1hdt was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier