Keep 2010 Ram 2500 or buy Jeep Gladiator?

someguy744

Before kids, I used to go off-roading quite a bit with my 2006 LJ Rubicon. But since getting my 2500, I haven't taken my truck off-roading except for very minor dirt roads, concerned about body damage.
675d94043b9c9c5feb8cc2dfd412c65a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Grassland

I'd keep the Ram. Low miles. Lots of space and power. But it depends on all the other things you use your truck for other than off road.
You got big axles, solid frame, gobs of power etc.
The cons are it's big and heavy. A d while mid size rigs aren't nearly as heavy, they sure aren't light either.

I've looked at some mid sized trucks and for all the space you lose you don't gain much. You will still get pinstriping and dings etc at least in the placed I take my truck.

My super cab 6.5 box has more box space and essentially as much interior space as a crew cab mid size.

MG99

How about a Ram Rebel? You could get one for about the same price as a Gladiator Rubicon. You’d have your choice of cab size and bed size, it’s capable off road and is in between the size of your 2500 and the Gladiator.

jonathon

This may sound crazy but I wish a manufacturer offered a midsize truck with a crew cab that had the leg room of a full size. I could manage that with a canopy. With a 5 foot bed it wouldn’t be any longer than a double cab 6 foot bed Tacoma. Maybe the new Dakota will have a legit crew cab. The 4th gen Dodge crew cab is pretty short but just roomy enough.

Copperhead14

Observer
I have a 2017 2500 Mega Cab Ram Cummins. When the Gladiators came out, I almost traded, luckily I came to my senses. The gladiator rubicon was fun to test drive, reminded me of my 14 rubicon jk. But, my Ram has tons of cab space, can tow my camper and haul anything I need. Plus I own my Ram.

I plan to add a few off-road items soon to be able to run it in Ouray and Moab.

Halligan

Adventurer
Welcome,

Your Ram looks to be in great shape. By the palm trees in the photo I assume you live where winter corrosion is not an issue. The biggest drawback I see with your truck is the possibility of some costly repairs in your future because you’re out of warranty and a Cummins isn't cheap to fix when it comes to fuel system issues and DPF filters. I'll ask what others have previously asked, has your current truck prevented you from getting down a trail you really wanted to but couldn't because of size? If it hasn't your trucks size isn't a problem and to be honest some folks on Expo wheel rigs like yours on some gnarly tight trails.

Also, if you’re looking to get into the over-landing lifestyle understand you can run out of payload really quick when you load up with gear so a midsize may leave you wishing for the additional payload of a full size.

Lastly, I'm in a somewhat similar boat as you. I have a 2015 Power Wagon thats in great shape. I'm trying to decide if I should sell it now while it still has decent resale value and get into something new or drive it for the next 5-8 years and dump it when it has little resale value. For me it's all about finances, if I decide to go with a new vehicle and it would likely be between a new Power Wagon or a Ram Rebel. I'm a big guy so I won't go midsize.

Good luck and I'm sure a truck like your will get decent money if you decide to sell it.

jadmt

ignore button user
I would 100% get the gladiator....I almost bought one before getting my 2020 Power Wagon. I made the mistake of driving the PW before signing on the dotted line for the Gladiator and the stupid good ride and abundance of power swayed me into buying the power wagon instead....jeeps are way cooler than Rams....here is my Ram I would still say if go with the Gladiator.....

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I would 100% get the gladiator....I almost bought one before getting my 2020 Power Wagon. I made the mistake of driving the PW before signing on the dotted line for the Gladiator and the stupid good ride and abundance of power swayed me into buying the power wagon instead....jeeps are way cooler than Rams....here is my Ram I would still say if go with the Gladiator.....
So when are you trading it for a Gladiator? Think you'll go Mojave or Rubicon?

TommyG

Adventurer
I have a 2012 Power Wagon and the Mrs got a new JL Rubicon Unlimited over the summer. (Not a Gladiator but close enough for comparison). We have to stack the vehicles in the driveway so when we leave the house we just jump in whatever is in back by the road. I go from one to the other frequently on the same day.

I love the JL and think the Gladiators are super cool. We did a ton of no doors/roof days in the summer which we all LOVE. That being said I don't think I would give up my truck to have one full time. I am kind of spoiled with the best of both worlds right now but if she ever lets go of the Jeep I will still be rocking a 2500.

jonathon

man that is a tough choice for sure...whichever gets the V8 first :).

I have to admit I could overlook the size of the Gladiator if it had the 6.4 in it. The 6.4/8 speed in a 7000 pound 2500 is a beast. I can only imagine how much more awesome it would be in a 5000 pound Gladiator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior