KC Flex Led light bar VS Made in China alternative

spot

As much as I dislike offshore copies I have to say I’ve been impressed with the LED copies. I’ve got rigid led cubes on my truck and I bought some offshore copies as an experiment to compare. Sadly the offshore’s are as good or better and 1/4 the price. Granted you don’t get the warranty but for a my use I hate to say it. I really do! But I’ll use offshore LEDs unless I’m running the Baja 1000.

jeepnjoe

No, unfortunately not. The shop did the work and I had a hard time convincing them to let me take any pictures in their work area. I am sure it should be easy for you to wire them your own way.
It looks like negative are either of the small 4 bolts on the inside back plate and the center post is the positive.

jeepnjoe

I'm digging up the grave of this thread but if anyone has a wiring diagram or pictures of how they wired these lights that would be great.
I think the center post is positive and the small inner 4 bolts are negative...
their diagram only shows one ground wire coming off only one of the lights, whereas the positive is jumping from each post on each light.
My biggest question is why doesn't there need to be a negative jumper wire?

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240327_230304_Alibabacom.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240327_230304_Alibabacom.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 7

jeepnjoe

After some time with these lights here is what I will say so far:

Connecting them together in a long line is proving to be a challenge. There is not enough support with the connecting plates they supply. They will sag and bounce around. Some sort of bracket will need to be purchased or built to mount them in that way.

When KC mounts more than two lights together, the backing bracket, or whatever they call it, is different than these lights. KC's are more supported from the back to handle the weight of several lights strung together.

These lights come as just the housing with some hardware, brackets, and a clear plastic cover to go across two lights. Unlike the KC lights which come with individual faceplates, lenses, etc. See the attached diagram of the KC lights.

My jumper wires that came with my lights were too long and the ring terminal was too small for the posts. I could've made new ones, but I made these work by driving out the ring slightly. So it would seem that theres an issue with consistency, which honestly is kind of expected I guess.

No wiring harness is included with these lights. Which wasn't a huge deal for me since I usually cut off most of the harness to connect to my auxbeam switch panel.

Ultimately though the lights seem built well enough and are bright when i bench tested them. Not sure about longevity or ability to take abuse as I haven't mounted them yet. I haven't figured out how I'm going to mount them in the configuration that I wanted them. I want them in a straight line at the front of my roof rack ( FYI, spot beams should be placed up high as a general rule). But the little connect brace they supply is not holding them stiff enough or supported enough to keep them from sagging. So if I can't find some bracket to support them, I'll probably have to fabricate something.1000005960.jpg you can see how it sags when picked up from the ends. 1000005961.jpg1000005958.jpg1000005953.jpgwires were too long and ring terminal didn't fit

1000005962.jpgI flattened the lights by pressing back down on the ends. The flex I was talking about. 1000005959.jpg
These connecting plates just don't support the lights enough on their own.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240327_221639_Samsung Notes.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240327_221639_Samsung Notes.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 7

jeepnjoe

In addition, I emailed the supplier in China and asked about a faceplate. They said they don't have any such plate for these lights. So, maybe one can be 3d printed or possibly the KC faceplate would fit. However, KC doesn't sell the faceplate separately. (I asked)

trae

Adventurer
After some time with these lights here is what I will say so far:

Connecting them together in a long line is proving to be a challenge. There is not enough support with the connecting plates they supply. They will sag and bounce around. Some sort of bracket will need to be purchased or built to mount them in that way.

I wonder if a long piece of angled aluminum on the bottom would suffice. Certainly not as elegant, but functional. Mine have been sitting on a shelf for a bit after I changed my bumper, time to add them back in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke