KB Voodoo Rack or Other Bed Rack Input - RAM 1500?

Exeter

Hey All -

I have a RAM 1500 and am looking for a rack for the bed. I would ideally like to find one that I can keep my bed cover with (hard cover Bakflip) for security, but not absolutely required. I also want to keep my RTT below my roof line or right about at my roof line which means the Leitner Design's are out. I've landed on KB Voodoo racks but the only real review I can find has complaints of the powder coating failing and issues honoring the warranty with the company. I spoke to the owner of KB and he said it has been fixed, but I have nothing else to go on. The other option is Nuthouse Industries, but those racks are about $800 more. Also want to ensure the rack has enough flexibility in mounting that I can attach travel containers to the top or kayaks, bikes, etc.

Anyone have experience or knowledge on the reliability and performance of the KB Voodoo aluminum racks? Any recommendation on other racks that would mount a RTT and supplies to a RAM outside of these that is reliable?

Thank you!

If this is in the wrong forum, please move, my apologies.

Laps

I have a RAM 1500 (Rebel) and have an Adarac rack system. It allows for my Truxedo tonneau cover with easy access. The uprights that come with the Adarac mount the crossbars above the level of the cab. I made an additional set of racks by using and modifying a set of Compact Camping Concepts trailer rack towers which are available on their website. I mounted those towers to the Adarac bed slotted rails. I made cross bars from 12 gauge channel bars, available from Home Depot. However I do not have a RTT but I’m confident that the load capacity would be adequate for your needs.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I’m not familiar with any racks for a 5’7” but I would think any rack for a Tundra should work. Toyota guys just seem to have so many more options these days.

Maybe check out CBI.

Personally, I like fully welded racks and not those modular ones. But for shipping the modular ones are obviously easier to deal with and cost less to ship.

If you’re in a pinch and need a rack fast you could just go with some Yakima or Thule cross bars for a truck bed until you figure out what you want. Then if you decide to swap them out for a rack you should easily be able to sell them since they are a popular brand. Those are also easy to remove if you need to access the full height of your bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exeter

Thanks. I found a few interesting racks out there, but as you said, none that allow you to keep your tonneau cover on. I'll keep looking.

Thinman

Any luck finding something? I am in the same boat and the slow browser search grind is killing me slowly.

Looking for a rack system that will support a RTT and allow for a tonneau cover to remain installed. I do not have either yet (rack or cover), so blank slate. I like the Leitner design a lot, but a cover option looks out with it. The BAK Revolver X4 looks like a good candidate for the cover since the rollup seems like it would interfere less with a rack and it also looks like it sits inside the bed and would allow for the bed rails to be fully exposed for a rack...

...and I still cannot find anything that looks like it would work

Ravenmad

Observer
Not a 1500, but I bet they would build a shorter version (currently build 8' and 6'4" versions). Its all aluminum (except for the stainless hardware), will work with the backflip revolver (thats what I have on mine) but does not come powder coated. I asked if it was possible, what I was told is that its better to have powder coated locally so that if there are issues you are close to the source and easier to get dealt with. Seems like powder coating is a continual issue with a lot of products. Anyways, they do offer both driver side or passenger side awning mounts (its a whole new side piece). They also are building a headache rack and rear cross bar so it will hold ladders or a canoe along with some other accessories (table mount to hold a folding table to the bottom of the rack, all aluminum fishing pole holders / sleeve). They also offer in tall (cab height) low (my height) narrow (my width) and wide (full width of the bed).

Attachments

• 20181223_082343.jpg
    20181223_082343.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
  • 20181223_082736.jpg
    20181223_082736.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
  • 20181223_071121.jpg
    20181223_071121.jpg
    568.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20181223_071137.jpg
    20181223_071137.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42

Thinman

That could be an option, who makes that one? I bet that would look very nice with line-x on it.

The Nutzo racks seem to be really close to what I would be looking for and they have an aluminum retractable bed cover available, but wow, yeah, something like $6k once I spec'd it out. hahahaha, no. 6k for a rack is just funny....but damn they are nice.

Voodoo is one I keep going back to, but the brackets that allow for a cover mount just dont look strong enough for the job long term.

Perfect-world, I would absolutely love to find a tent rack that I could put on top of a Diamondback cover and still have at least partial access to opening the doors.

Ravenmad

Observer
That could be an option, who makes that one? I bet that would look very nice with line-x on it.

The Nutzo racks seem to be really close to what I would be looking for and they have an aluminum retractable bed cover available, but wow, yeah, something like $6k once I spec'd it out. hahahaha, no. 6k for a rack is just funny....but damn they are nice.

Voodoo is one I keep going back to, but the brackets that allow for a cover mount just dont look strong enough for the job long term.

Perfect-world, I would absolutely love to find a tent rack that I could put on top of a Diamondback cover and still have at least partial access to opening the doors.

The rack is built by Nemesis Ind. for Diesel Power Products. I believe DPP is the only distributor at this point. I talked to the owner of Nemesis today, he said they do have a model for the 5'7" 1500 truck bed in both short or tall, narrow or wide. At this point the only option outside of short or tall, narrow or wide is the side piece awning mount (drivers side or passenger side). They are in the $2500 (without powder coating) range I believe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles