Kayak Loading

backwoods

What are you yakkers finding to be the best setup for loading kayaks on the top of your vans? I've got some Yakima towers on the way and am trying to figure out the rest. I'm looking to load a single 12 to 14 ft angler kayak (60-80lbs.) on top of an Econoline. I can't decide on rear loading vs. side loading, or the best hardware to get there.

I've scoured kayak forums, but there isn't much real world feedback from fullsize van owners.

I'm a reasonably muscular fellow, but about average height. I am also intending to go with a 4 inch Weldtech setup in the very near future.

Any actual experience and a rundown of your vehicle/rack system would be appreciated.

wjeeper

I have plans of modifying the ladder rack that came on my van:

I am planning on extending the rack so both of our kayaks will fit up on edge. I had fully planned on ditching the rack, but after the dry run above the its staying!

Craigslist occasionally has ladder racks like these for cheap <$200 in our area.

kccourtney

Observer
They're pricey but the Thule Hullivator has worked well for me. Found mine on Craigslist for cheap. My yak is 20' and probably 45#. It's a beast, but after some Wheaties, with this setup I can get it off my 4x4 E-350 by myself.

LYlqoY2Fo

Builder
I carry a cheap step 3 step stepstool all the time. Use it to load kayaks, snowboards into cargo box, wash/waxing, workbench, engine work, camp kitchen storage, etc.

http://amzn.to/23lVs6E

A couple dollars cheaper at wallyworld.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Paul E Dude

Observer
I have a board with 2 plastic wheels I got at the hardware store bolted to it. just lift the nose onto the wheels. then lift the tail of the yak and give it a launch up on top!

MotoDave

Explorer
I cart my Kayak (13' Tarpon 130T - not a light beast) around using Yakima Hully Rollers in back, and normal saddles in front. Get the back of the kayak (I haul it backwards) up on the rollers, then grab the bow and roll it up there. I can do it solo fairly easily, with 2 people its a breeze.

Looks just like this setup:
mako_crop.jpg

backwoods

I cart my Kayak (13' Tarpon 130T - not a light beast) around using Yakima Hully Rollers in back, and normal saddles in front. Get the back of the kayak (I haul it backwards) up on the rollers, then grab the bow and roll it up there. I can do it solo fairly easily, with 2 people its a breeze

Thanks for the reply. As you can see, I made originally this thread a few weeks ago. Since then, I have concluded that the method you recommend is likely going to be the best for me. I have ordered the saddles and hully rollers, but haven't installed them yet (haven't bought the yak). Your input makes me feel better about the direction that I chose, having not tested it yet. I intend on digging this thread back up and updating it when I do, to potentially help someone else in the same predicament on down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles