Kayak Brands

libarata

Expedition Leader
Tomorrow(Saturday), I am headed to Charlottesville, VA to look at some kayaks. I know they have Perception, and Wilderness Systems, Not sure if they have Jackson. I am looking for a 12' sit on, and am eyeing up the Wilderness Tarpon 120. Is there any insight on specific brands to run away from? Thank ahead of time.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
Had an chance to test a bunch of sit on tops before getting our Wilderness tandem. Non of the major brands were bad just expensive when compared to Wilderness after rigging them. To our luck we preferred Wilderness over Ocean and Malibu.

wsswesty

Observer
I have two Wilderness Tarpon 120's I use for fishing on the Greenbrier and New Rivers in WV. I've had them for 6 years and have never had any problems with them. All of my fishing buddies own tarpons too. We fish Class I-III water ... The boats are very stable and easily customizable! Have fun!

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I have future beach, emotion, sun dolphin and lifetime. I have not had any issues from any of them. A great bang for the buck was the Sun Dolphins I got 8' sit ins on sale for $139. Field and Stream (Dicks) had a sale on my Future Beach fishing yaks too $340
pDSP1-7250675p275w.jpg

If you want a nice sit on they offer these, I believe they are made by future beach for Dicks:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...=11279269&cp=4406646.4413993.19248926.4417969
pDSP1-16922886p275w.jpg

kpredator

Adventurer
We have a couple wilderness systems kayaks and a old town solo canoe.
Our next one will be the hybrid wilderness.
Much prefer the solo kayaks to the two seater

A lot of fun and a good way to see wildlife

surf92lb

Do yourself a favor and drive west on 64 over the Blue Ridge head to Rockfish Gap Outfitter in Waynesboro. 30 minutes max (good weather). Great people, independently owned and normally has a great paddle-sport inventory at great prices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CodyY

Explorer
Jackson are damn nice. But for half the money I really like my Heritage Redfish 12 and the Pescador 12 my cousin has.

We did 32 miles of the Devils River in South Texas. If I was shopping today, Academy has a white camo pescador 13 now. I like the extra stability and storage of the longer boats where the length hasn't ever held me back in my spots.

9be0fdf93e974af94c35e57b4da06024.jpg

Last edited:

libarata

Expedition Leader
I went to blueridge mountain sports first, and was disappointed in their selection, and pricing. On the way back, my friend directed me to rockfish gap outfitters. 10 minutes latter, I had this strange parasite on top of my car... image.jpg

Wilderness system tarpon 100. Thanks all! Time to research places to go. Certainly the flow age down by cville for sure.

scoolbubba

I have a perception pescador 12 ( identical to a w/s tarpon 120). Stable, relatively fast, tracks well and it is easily portable by one average male, even more so if you get a portage dolly. I love mine. I actually like it so much on the ICW down here that I'm selling my bay boat.

libarata

Expedition Leader
I have noticed that perception boats are about the same. This was the last tarpon 100 from 2014 that they had. They hooked me up with a reasonable discount too. Now I just need a paddle, and pfd!

dmc1

Adventurer
I use the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100's. Work great and easy to handle in the places I go. I use the Aquabound posi loc Carbon fiber shaft paddle (240 cm). Great service with these so far. I also use the Assault hand paddles (2) when I get to a spot that I want to be very quiet and stealth. Work great too!

Last edited:

libarata

Expedition Leader
Great looking trailer, for sure! What kind of weight does that thing have?
=
My next adventure, will be finding paddles, and a life jacket. Then, finding all of the strap on goodies for the accessory rails.

dmc1

Adventurer
Thanks for the comments. As pictured, I can stand on one of the corners at the rear and pick it up off of the floor with relative ease. I'm going to take it to the local scales when I put the boxes back on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94