Kamper Build Aussie Style - Romers new Kimberley Karavan

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Dutch, did you get your Karavan repaired?

After MANY hours of work, I did get the lift cable repaired. However, another major issue with the batteries or the charger has come up that prevented me from using it on a planned trip this Fall. It has been one issue after another. Not one night of use this year. *:-((

Fuji4

Observer
What's kimberley's stance on all that?

After MANY hours of work, I did get the lift cable repaired. However, another major issue with the batteries or the charger has come up that prevented me from using it on a planned trip this Fall. It has been one issue after another. Not one night of use this year. *:-((

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
What's kimberley's stance on all that?

Out of warranty.

If it's the batteries, Chinese made batteries that fit the battery box are not available in the US. That will require 9 X 25 lbs = 225 lbs of shipping to get them from Australia to the US.

If it's the charger, replacement will be extremely difficult due to where it's mounted.

Rcroamer

Ken...I am strongly considering purchasing one of these and would like to know how you are enjoying it. Has it needed service and if so where do you have it serviced? Bob in SLC

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Ken...I am strongly considering purchasing one of these and would like to know how you are enjoying it. Has it needed service and if so where do you have it serviced? Bob in SLC

It's very simple. There is no North America Service for Kimberley products. I do any needed service myself.

Also, the company is currently under Court Ordered Administration -similar to, but not exactly like, Receivership in the US.

DUTCH
also a Kimberley Karavan Owner

Romer

Adventurer

I am still very happy with my unit. I havent had to do service yet, but expect that will all be on me and new that when I bought it. Since I built and work on my Landcruisers, I can't see it being a huge problem. Dutch repaired probably the most difficult issue with a broken wire due to a water leak. Since I keep mine in the garage I am not concerned about that. The garage was one of the requirements and why I settled on this vs a larger Kruiser. Over the next few years I don't expect to use it as much as I want to due to work. I purchased it with the dollar low planning on this being one of my retirement toys and keeping in the garage keeps it pristene for many years to come

I had a Kimberley Kamper, that Dutch coincidently was the original owner of. I kept it in the garage and used it about 4 times a year and it still looked new at 16 years old

Romer

Adventurer
Since Kimberley is being resurrected and will focus on Karvans and Kampers at least right away I thought I would post some pictures of my trip last week through parts of Colorado, Wyoming and Utah. It pulled great and never was the source of any slow downs. I was the only one with a trailer

We also went over some rough trail with medium sized boulders and mogals but no one took any pictures

kK1.JPGKK4.JPGKK8.JPGKK11.JPGKK12.JPGKK13.JPGDSC02687.jpg

Romer

Adventurer
A couple moreDSC02729.jpg
dsc02647-jpg.472642

Attachments

• DSC02647.jpg
    DSC02647.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 287

Romer

Adventurer
Nice to see they are opening a local dealer here in the states

I have a friend who ordered a Karavan and it is shipping in two weeks. From what I read on the non affiliated private forum, the new ownership has done a great job over the last 18 months building the brand back up and correcting the business mistakes made by the previous owners. They still respond quickly to my e-mails when I ask questions

They gave me advice on how to upgrade my power system

I swapped out my Solar Controller for a Victron 50/100. I wanted to be able to use the app to see how the panels on my roof are working and I also added the Blue Tooth dongle to the Battery monitor so I could monitor that as well from the same app

Screenshot 2020-02-22 at 12.24.33 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2020-02-22 at 12.05.55 PM.jpg

I will make sure the equalize is off when I swap the batteries. The above was on a cloudy day with fully charged batteries so it was throttled down by the MPPT controller

I also bought 3 100ah Battleborn LI batteries and will be swapping the 2 AGM batteries out over the next two weeks. Battleborn had the best temp specs and protection circuitry from my research

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Ken, That's good news.

You only have 2 AGM batteries in the Karavan? I had nine (9) in mine.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Mine had 300 Ahr of AGM batteries - 9 X 35 Ahr, as I remember.

My new RV has a single 600 Ahr LiFePO4.

Romer

Adventurer
I noticed I never posted my battery upgrade

I swapped out the two 100ah AGM batteries for 3 100aH Battleeborn Lithiums. I picked the Battleborn as it had the best specs for cold storage since it is in an attached garage in Colorado. The nice thing is the usable power increased from 100ah (50% AGM) to 240 ah (80% Li). I spent 5 days with my AGMs and solar. I carried a generator but never had to use it. Now I will be in better shape for longer stays

I placed two of the Li batteries in the stock location and also added a tray for the third battery, maybe one day I will build a single enclosure
IMG_0268.jpg

Reactions: Huc

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
I noticed I never posted my battery upgrade

I swapped out the two 100ah AGM batteries for 3 100aH Battleeborn Lithiums. I picked the Battleborn as it had the best specs for cold storage since it is in an attached garage in Colorado. The nice thing is the usable power increased from 100ah (50% AGM) to 240 ah (80% Li). I spent 5 days with my AGMs and solar. I carried a generator but never had to use it. Now I will be in better shape for longer stays

Nice upgrade. I have heard good things about the Battleborns.

5 days with your AGM's or 5 days with your new Lithiums?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior