K30 Blazer Arizona Edition

Outback

Explorer
I started this thread to help other Blazer or any Square Body builders wanting to add a LQ9 LS v8 to there ride. I will be discussing the cooling system specifically. Now I did not build anything on this truck. Some very talented people worked on it. Who they are I don't know. But my hat off to them and there hard work. Quick list of modes includes: 1 ton axles, ORD Doubler (not a Magnum box as advertised but still pretty **************), Built 4L80E trans, LQ9 LS V8. Thats a very short list missing a lot of details but you get the idea.

The vehicle was built in Washington State. Doesn't get all that hot there. The vehicle was built using the stock 350 or 305 V8 factory radiator. That may have been OK at best in Washington but not here in Arizona. So my Quest begins for cooling those 365 horses under the hood. I will compile a list of parts and add plenty of pictures as I progress. I will also include the addition of a oil cooler and trans cooler among other things.. Stay tuned.956451fe3752_low_res_1988-chevrolet-blazer.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
The front end of these trucks all borrow components from the GM pick-ups. You should be able to just get a big block radiator that has a thicker core but has the same overall dimensions. There is also a company in the US selling aluminum radiators a good price. Sorry cant remember the name but I have run one for over 10 years without problems. If my memory serves me correctly I think they are called Premium radiators. I hope this helps. Cheers, Chilli..:cool:

Outback

Explorer
Yes everything pretty much bolts right in from a K30 to a K5. I already picked up my new Diesel K30 radiator yesterday. It's nice having a K30 in the driveway to compare. I went to the junk yard and found the correct radiator shroud, top cover and brackets. I need to find the same expansion tank that's in My K30. All pretty much bolt in. I also ordered 2 Derale trans and oil coolers with fans. I also want to pick up a smaller one for my power steering unit.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
It will be good to see your rig out in the bush Outback. The addition of a new rad should be cool. Cheers, Chilli...:cool:

Outback

Explorer
Check with Champion Radiators they make a good quality radiator and do offer LS conversion radiators. Check to make sure whoever did the conversion did it properly using a steam line from the engine back to the water pump. The LS cooling system is a closed system and has to be purged of air correctly or they will overheat.
http://www.championradiators.com/
https://www.holley.com/products/ls_power/plumbing/parts/26-552

I checked and there is a line going from the water pump back to the radiator. I will check and see if this is a correct way of doing it. Thanks for the info

Outback

Explorer
I have the radiator, fan shroud, top cover and top mounts for the radiator. I ordered a silicone radiator hose reducer 90 degree from 1 3/4" to 1 1/2". I also added a 1 1/2" to 1 1/2" coupler and smooth lined hose clamps to the order. I found the expansion tank I was looking for as well. Everything should be here in a few days. My goal is to have this completed this week. I need to ship out next week for a few months.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Looks like you will be good to go in no time. Best of luck with your truck and wherever they are sending you. Cheers, Chilli..:cool:

Bullseye240

Adventurer
As for the transmission cooler, believe it or not in my experience the best spot for it isn't in front of the radiator. I mounted the cooler on my 94 6.5 diesel Blazer 4L80E under the drivers rear floor pan on some all thread rods with a 10 inch electric fan on it. I had a trans temp gauge and while running down the road it was always at the lowest spot of the green zone. it would only raise up to the three quarter high green zone when I would stop moving forward and even then when the fan would kick on it would drop most of the way back to where it was. If I had kept it I was going to put a thermostat valve in the line to maintain 185˚ temps and remount the oil cooler with the trans cooler and it's own thermostat valve.

1976K5Chalet

Observer
I ended up running the big block cu730 and the Tejas fan shroud with 98 Camaro fans. Works like a charm.

Attachments

• 20170611_180800 (Large).jpg
    20170611_180800 (Large).jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20170701_151734 (Large).jpg
    20170701_151734 (Large).jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20150821_033039002_HDR (Large).jpg
    IMG_20150821_033039002_HDR (Large).jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 41

Forum statistics

Threads