JW Speaker Model 8700 J LED headlight for JK Wrangler

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I got the DLRs to work. Shout-outs to Troncalli Jeep in Cumming, GA for their patience and use of their WiTech devices and to Unique Jeep in Burligton, Ontario for their wisdom.
And the internet. I had to figure most of it out through trial and error.

Not sure how every dealer will do it but, if you buy the Evo2-J headlights from Troncalli (as of this writing), they'll flash your Jeep for free when installed. It doesn't take long but has to be done at the dealer or with a Superchips or ProCal (mess with warranty at your discretion).

Dealer adds DRL option code "LMK" to the vehicle using the Vehicle Option Updates page in DealerConnect. Once code is added to your build, the Jeep should be reconfigured using the Restore Vehicle Configuration routine in WiTech (under Diagnostic Procedures tab).
I also had previously flashed the dealer code for Quad LED headlights ---- I don't know if this is necessary but couldn't hurt...
Hard reset of the BOM to clear any codes if necessary.
You have DRLs now.

The DRLs operate using the Highbeam at a greatly reduced power; the half-halo is off.

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Just got a call from Chrysler Tech assist ---- they said there's no user way to enable DRLs....

So I told them how we did it and asked if they'd put out a TSB to dealerships. Very nice gal on the phone.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I think its supposed to be "DRL" for "Daytime Running Lights"
Thank you....
....dang dyslexic keyboard.....

Somebody on the Wrangler Forum asked me for some low-light pictures.

lowbeam
8700J-at.dawn%20007_zpssxgseejb.jpg

highbeam
8700J-at.dawn%20011_zpsltd8c5yq.jpg

DRL
8700J-at.dawn%20012_zps932m7rrd.jpg

MTSN

Explorer
Thanks for the pictures. Do you have the full resolution ones by chance? It sort of looks like in the DRL pic the half halo isn't lit up. Is that correct or is it just hard to tell? Also in the low beam pic it almost looks like the halo lights up so bright it washes out some of the "definition" of the projectors making it look less discernible as a JW Speaker light. Again it could just be the resolution of the pics though.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Thanks for the pictures. Do you have the full resolution ones by chance? It sort of looks like in the DRL pic the half halo isn't lit up. Is that correct or is it just hard to tell? Also in the low beam pic it almost looks like the halo lights up so bright it washes out some of the "definition" of the projectors making it look less discernible as a JW Speaker light. Again it could just be the resolution of the pics though.
It the age of the camera and the many drops too...

The "eyebrow" lights up for high and low beam; it's off for DRL and the highbeam is run at low wattage. The DRL throws very minimal light.

The eyebrow doesn't throw much light itself either. In Europe they're used as position lights. We don't have an extra wire to run them in a fancy way so they're just there to augment the standard beams. I can't tell any difference between the light from these or from my last model 8700 Evolution 2.

edit: for full resolution, right-click on the pic, properties, copy and paste the url and go to the photobucket page for the pic. Hit the + in the magnifying glass and it blows up.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Or just right-click and select "show image", then it automagically take you to the photobucket page (at least in firefox).

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I still wonder why JW does not fire their low beams and high beam with high beam triggered. Makes sense to do that if you ask me. My suburban does that and its crappy. I know JW will put more light out, but having the low beam fill on will only help the overall beam. I am in the process of wiring my burb to fire both low and high beam lights when on high.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Surprise surprise.
Out of the blue, FedEx Ground showed up today with a box. Early Xmas.

JWS 279-J tail lights are now installed on Snoopy.

Took me a minute to wire them right. Not as many plugs on the driver's side unit.
The passenger side is plug/play. The driver's side you have to plug one of the old ones into the leftover socket, then plug in the new light. I zip-tied the the resistors to the wire bundles and declared victory.

I like the way they did it.
The red lights are blade fashion. Back-up light is crisp and bright.
And a little surprise is included that I didn't expect --- it flashes sideways alternately on blinker; a great safety feature.

My cel phone pics were terrible. I'll try to remember my camera in the morning.

279-J-Series-banner-image-4x4-market-page.jpg

EDIT: I just heard from JWS ---- the resistor is free-floating and I need to secure it to the Jeep, not the lamp or wires.

The set I got is almost production-ready. I'll tinker some more with them.
I'm liking them though. Feedback from colleagues and other tenants in the building was universally enthusiastic too. We share the building with Hi-Rez.

Last edited:

MTSN

Explorer
I still can't decide if I like the tail lights or not. I have only seen that factory photo you posted, so I'm looking forward to seeing pics on your Jeep. I honestly just wish there was a solution that looked just like factory with a high quality dense array of LEDs like on German cars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94