Just wanted to rave about MPG: 4th gen 4runner, V6, 4x4...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Before I start, yeah, yeah, I know, if you want good MPG, get a Prius or a Civic. :rolleyes:

However, given that most of us here aren't independently wealthy, my guess is that MPG is an issue for the majority of us here. Maybe not the most important issue, maybe not the deciding factor in which vehicle we choose, but it's not an irrelevant consideration, either.

Not only is fuel economy an issue that affects the wallet (which can be the make-or-break decision on whether we go on a nice, long adventure, a shorter trip closer to where we live, or just stay home) but even if gas were free, the range a vehicle can travel between fuel-ups is a pretty important planning consideration (just for example, my ability to travel long distances in my 3rd gen 4runner was pretty severely impacted by it's pi$$-poor range of <300 miles on the highway and as low as 200 - 250 miles in low-speed driving.) It wasn't an insurmountable obstacle, but it added a complication that didn't need to be there.)

So, having said all that, I'm very happy to report that I've been getting some pretty phenomenal mileage from my new-to-me 2007 (4th gen) 4runner with the V-6.

For those interested, here is my Fuelly "Badge:"

It shows an average of 18.1 which is a bit on the low side of average, but what needs to be noted is that the vast majority of miles I have tracked were when I was pulling a 1200lb trailer, usually over some pretty high (9,000'+) passes in Colorado.

The most recent MPG I tracked was the first long highway trip I've taken without the trailer, 404 miles on a single tank, and consuming only 18.95 gallons for an average of 21.3. For a two-and-a-quarter-ton (4300lb curb weight) Body-on-frame SUV with a 235hp V6 and 4 wheel drive, I consider that to be amazing.

Now, to be fair, this was done under the most favorable conditions possible: Flat highways between Denver and Laramie, WY, most of it spent cruising at 45 - 65 mph with minimal winds. But, I think it's a good illustration of what this platform is capable of, even though, for example, if I were to drive this to work every day, my MPG would undoubtedly be lower (I have a cheap little economy car I drive to work so I don't need the 4runner for that.)

From an exploration-vehicle standpoint, the best part of this for me was that even after 404 miles, I still had over 4 gallons in the tank - which is to say, over 450 miles of range with a comfortable "reserve" of 20 - 30 miles.

Some may laugh at the thought of "hypermiling" a 4runner, but I'm going to keep doing it as long as I have the truck. I can't say I love every single thing about the 4th gen but I have to admit that the Toyota engineers did a darn good job when they designed this vehicle.

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
That's about as good as my 3/4 ton Diesel truck with 310hp and 520tq. :ylsmoke:

Diesel yota would be a full win!

shmabs

Explorer
Thats amazing to hear! I have been eyeballing the 4th gen's lately, i convinced a co worker to pick up a nice 05 v6 4x4 and he has been very happy with it. I'm pretty new to 4runners and im loving my 3rd gen so far, but i see a 4th gen in my future when i can afford to pay cash for it.

My brother who worked for toyota at the time, bought an early 4th gen with the v8, despite being full time 4wd he was able to get some reasonable mpg with that truck when driven sensibly, it think he was averaging around 19 or so.

Oh and Martinjmper, keep on hypermiling!

Mike

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
As far as 4th gen shopping goes, read the FAQs on the various model year updates. I knew I wanted an 05+ both because I would get more favorable financing from my bank (USAA) but also because there were a lot of model year improvements for 2005, the biggest one being the change from the 4 speed A340 auto tranny (the same one that's in the 3rd gen) to the 5 speed A740 (I think that's the designation) in the V6 models (the V8's always had a 5 speed.) I think 05 was also the year they went to a sealed transmission (no dipstick) which is mildly annoying but OTOH, the auto tranny dipstick on my 3rd gen was such a PITA to reinsert that I rarely checked it anyway.

In 06 they got LED taillights, which is the easiest way to tell the difference between an 03-05 and an 06-09. I think that was also the same year they went from having the parking lights/turn signals in the bumper to having them integrated into the headlamp housing.

Honestly, I would go as 'new' as you can afford, as Toyota seems to have constantly made little upgrades each year.

dsrtdcab

Adventurer
Nice work Martin! This only fuels my fire to get another Runner. I am said "brother" noted above and have always had an affinity for the 4Runners. When the time comes, I will certainly be leaning heavily toward the 4th Gen. Seem to be a great mix of my needs/wants. Please keep us posted on how your MPG's are affected by any changes you make in the future.

Nick

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Nice work Martin! This only fuels my fire to get another Runner. I am said "brother" noted above and have always had an affinity for the 4Runners. When the time comes, I will certainly be leaning heavily toward the 4th Gen. Seem to be a great mix of my needs/wants. Please keep us posted on how your MPG's are affected by any changes you make in the future.

Nick

I already have most of an upgraded suspension waiting to be installed, and 17" FJ Cruiser wheels with BFG MTs in 255/75/17 (although I'm starting to think that such a skinny tire might look odd on the 4runner, seeing as how the wheels already appear "tucked" under those fat fenders.) My lift might cause a slight decrease in MPG but I'm sure the MTs will cause a more serious drop.

Wallache

Observer
My GF's stock V6 4x4 averages a little over 21 on roadtrips. Not only does it get better mileage than my 1st gen V6 Tacoma, but it seems to have way more power too.

Mechanical

Adventurer
That's about as good as my 3/4 ton Diesel truck with 310hp and 520tq. :ylsmoke:

Diesel yota would be a full win!

Yeah, it's just too bad diesel is at least an extra $1.00/gal.

These rigs are totally the way to go if you want have a capable 4x4 vehicle with decent gas mileage. If I baby my Tacoma around I can get a pretty consistent 19mpg with it, and it is lifted with larger tires / stock gearing. It's the perfect all terrain vehicle.

DaJudge

Explorer
Anyone have numbers for highway speeds (75-80)? I have tried driving 45-65, it was hard to steer! :D

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
Yeah, it's just too bad diesel is at least an extra $1.00/gal.

These rigs are totally the way to go if you want have a capable 4x4 vehicle with decent gas mileage. If I baby my Tacoma around I can get a pretty consistent 19mpg with it, and it is lifted with larger tires / stock gearing. It's the perfect all terrain vehicle.

I agree, I have mad Toyota love, esp for a diesel cruiser... dream rig.

I'm just a power hog and love the smell of bio-diesel. :elkgrin:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Anyone have numbers for highway speeds (75-80)? I have tried driving 45-65, it was hard to steer! :D

MPG drops off steeply above 65. My SGII shows about 15-17 mpg if you maintain those speeds on flat ground. Obviously on hills it would go down, probably by quite a bit.

I would never go 45 on the interstate but I do keep it at 65 and have no problems. I guess if you're in a hurry you can decide whether your time is more important than your money. ;)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Well, I don't neccessarily think it should be "the" deciding factor, but it should certainly be taken into consideration. We will continue to see ups and downs in fuel prices but the smart way to bet is for an upward trend.

Of course, I love my 4runner and would probably drive one even if the MPG wasn't great, but if it was really bad, that would definitely put a cramp in my plans (and that's one of the reasons I reluctantly said "no" to the 100-series LC I test drove, even though it was an amazing vehicle, under my mileage requirement - barely - and within my price range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles