Just wanted to post this here

Upland80

Adventurer
My BIL bought a brand new 2013 Jeep Wrangler (My Land Cruiser was 19 years old at the time he bought it). Drove to work and back home to Lake Arrowhead for 3 years...never once off road. One day it ground to a halt in 2016. We look under the Jeep and the transmission was completely separated into 2 parts. My Land Cruiser was 22 years old at the time. His old (3-year old) Jeep was sold after warranty fix. My Land Cruiser turns 25 this year...never a problem.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
My BIL bought a brand new 2013 Jeep Wrangler (My Land Cruiser was 19 years old at the time he bought it). Drove to work and back home to Lake Arrowhead for 3 years...never once off road. One day it ground to a halt in 2016. We look under the Jeep and the transmission was completely separated into 2 parts. My Land Cruiser was 22 years old at the time. His old (3-year old) Jeep was sold after warranty fix. My Land Cruiser turns 25 this year...never a problem.

But the wrangler has a solid axle

LJRubiReal

TheRealDeal124
Funny how this post comes up, as I'm thinking about getting rid of my 06 LJ for an 80 or 100 series. People think I'm crazy for wanting to get something older than what I have.

Rockey709

Great post! Just sold my modern 4x4 for a 2003 Lexus LX470 with 134,000 miles. Drives like a dream! Wife almost ? when I paid a nearly eye watering 27,000 for it. Lol. I guess you can put a price on quality HA!

Upland80

Adventurer
Great post! Just sold my modern 4x4 for a 2003 Lexus LX470 with 134,000 miles. Drives like a dream! Wife almost ? when I paid a nearly eye watering 27,000 for it. Lol. I guess you can put a price on quality HA!
27K for a 100 series? That thing must be built with everything Slee offers because you can get a 200 series for that price.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck

Sounds like a VERY nice 470. Post a pic of it?

I still think of ‘03 as modern. The second you have an “ECU” or “ECM” I’m calling modern.

Rockey709

I don’t want to hijack the post, but yes, it has EVERYTHING Slee and ARB offer installed with the sale. Plus I’m in SoCal where there is a premium on this old glorious crap. Aaaaaaaaand, isn’t the point of this post, that these are quality and quality costs...

*i could have paid ten grand less and done the work myself or pieces together the rig, but this was: pay/drive/enjoy/ not get divorced over it. ?

Attachments

• 5060F8E0-F24D-4743-8283-5F378992B635.jpeg
    5060F8E0-F24D-4743-8283-5F378992B635.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 63

MTSN

Explorer
I don’t want to hijack the post, but yes, it has EVERYTHING Slee and ARB offer installed with the sale. Plus I’m in SoCal where there is a premium on this old glorious crap. Aaaaaaaaand, isn’t the point of this post, that these are quality and quality costs...

*i could have paid ten grand less and done the work myself or pieces together the rig, but this was: pay/drive/enjoy/ not get divorced over it. ?

No sliders, snorkel, fog lights? Looks like you’re still missing a few things from the catalog ;)

Upland80

Adventurer

That's a beauty...congrats!

Rockey709

No sliders, snorkel, fog lights? Looks like you’re still missing a few things from the catalog ;)

Reasons for everything.
*hate snorkels (doesn’t rain in SD and I don’t drive through lakes lol)
*needed to keep the steps (small wife and kids)
*fogs are in my garage. Had cheap ones and I wanted something higher quality.

nickw

Adventurer
While I agree to a certain extent, there is something to be said about a newer mass produced rigs in general. I had a 78’ FJ40 for years, while a great rig and the quintessential rugged old school overlander, I also inherited 25 years of deferred maintenance and questionably modifications that were all too common on FJ’s of that era….and mine was as pristine as they come, 9/10. It still ran and drove well, but finding parts was difficult, I had to do all the work myself (couldn’t just drop the damn thing off if I was busy working or playing), repairs in some random city were out of the question and chasing down and trying to make it ‘perfect’ and base lining it was a constant battle, it really needed a full resto, but that was $XX,XXX. The 80’s are not far behind that….

On a similar note, I bought a super clean low mile 1996 2wd Ford single cab pickup, 4.9L straight 6, 5 spd manual…super simple. Ford won’t touch it, it’s too old, parts are relatively easy to get, but it’s still hit or miss, I have to do all the work myself, it’s as simple and rugged as they come, but needs stuff semi-regularly. I’ve replaced the wiper regulator, couple emissions parts and it needs a rear tank pump.

While I think LC’s are probably some of the most well-made rigs out there, it’s tougher to answer when vehicles start to age and have had multiple owners and the supply chain / support base starts to dry up. Thankfully the LC community is robust and thankfully LC’s seem to resist deferred maintenance issues better than any rig out there.

There is something to be said about newer rigs though. Not sure there is a Land Cruiser equivalent in the US that is better adapted than a Wrangler….plus you have the support network and reasonable $$ (vs a LC200) on your side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles