Just Starting Out - Gear and Activity Review

eduelfer

Hi all - first post (and I'm just greedily asking for advice).

I've recently become a driving force behind getting my family out into the world but it's an uphill battle. I had the experiences growing up but my wife never did. We have a five and a two year old. The short of it is, these first few experiences need to go well or I fear we're investing time, effort, and dollars in something that won't happen again. I would typically start small and build on it, but a miserable time will shut down future opportunities.

The rough plan is to car camp at sites with amenities (bathrooms & showers). We have a leveled F150 FX4. It's a capable platform but I think any remote camping will be a year or two down the line. It's a extended cab and a 6.5' bed with a full, hard tonneau cover that I'll be adding a rack to for bikes and extra storage. I say all this to point out that weight and bulk should not much of be an issue.

I envision a two room tent with access from multiple points and one of the rooms (maybe both) to become a weather / bug shelter during the day should things go wrong. That means it needs enough room for four people to have their space and be entertained. Also, we need to be able to stand up.

What we have so far:
F150
Coleman Stove (typical)
Gas Lantern
Nameless sleeping bags (one is newer, two are matched but older than dirt)
Blankets
Ryobi One+ Tools (maybe odd to list, but it's easily expandable if I need an electric chainsaw or tire inflator for example)
Shovel, rake, etc.
Rudimentary bad weather clothing - boots and ponchos
Kid's air mattress for 5 yr old
Pack & play for 2 yr old (will need to get him into a bed at some point fairly soon)
Collapsible table (not camping specific, but it'll do until I get tired of it)
Standard collapsible chairs
Shade (EX Up or suspended tarp)
Bugspray
Headlamps / flashlights / glowsticks
Cooler
Toilet (at least for kids)
Electric Blanket (have)
Fan(s)
Toilet paper
Rain gear (clothing & extras)
Electrical extension cords (just in case)

What we still need (my thoughts on specific gear included):
Power - bed of the truck seems most likely. Generator seems overkill for our needs. Some sites will provide 110v power - looking at those to start.
Tent - currently thinking REI Kingdom 8
Sleeping platform - hate air mattresses, got on an REI Kingdom cot yesterday, glorious (and it turns out they convert into a lounge chair)
Sleeping bags - given the kids (2 yr old won't keep a blanket on), we won't be going in cold weather much so we're hoping to rely on jammies and blankets for the short term
Cargo platform / system for hard tonneau cover - hope to include cargo rack as well as bike/ski/etc.
Cooking system (aside from stove) - likely that we own all we need already, but haven't thought through it yet
Cooler / fridge - We own standard coolers that are probably fine for a day trip or just over if we can replenish ice but I envision they will become an issue over time
Shelter with screens - longer term thinking as a possibility as the tent is meant to cover most of the need here
Telescope / binoculars
First aid (comprehensive)
Upgraded tent stakes (MSR)
Tent ground mat
Radios
Meal cleanup system (pump prayer)
Adult beverages (Trader Joe's boxed wine)
Shower (future add)

What we will do (activities / entertainment):
Hike - short range, can carry the 2 yr old but 5 yr old has to walk
Caves / waterfalls - again, short distance - drive to or camp close to
Beach camp - it's a beach, do beachy things
Cards / puzzles / coloring / books / paracord crafts (multiple use)- inside activities for inclement weather
Tourist Attractions - towns, museums, etc.
Make things - (first learn myself, then) teach and use wilderness skills, examples: knots, build a shelter
Smore's (duh)
Yard games - bean bag toss, frisbee, catch, etc.
Stargaze
KOA or like w/ other closeby activites
Good food (planning & prep ahead of time)

Eventually I want to get to remote and dispersed camping so we'd add shower and potty systems to the list but we're not there yet. I'e also like to build a solo / two-person setup in parallel and am hoping to overlap some gear.

I'm sure I've forgotten to mention some important points so please feel free to ask questions and be critical. I'm generally looking to invest in a good time and make this an ongoing and enjoyable experience for my family. I welcome any alternatives and additions to gear and activities.

And if I've missed some point of etiquette (wrong forum, this has been covered x many times, search newbie), please let me know that as well.

Edit: Adding to the list based on very useful feedback from this group! Hoping to use this as a planning checklist and for others to reference in the future. Updates to the original list are in italics.

Last edited:

tarditi

Explorer
Sounds like you're off to a great start!

Focus on the fun - the adventure will come on it's own (sometimes uninvited!)

Do consider shade - we pack an EZ-up, but open areas at the right times of the day can benefit from adjustable shade to keep the sun out and prevent "shadow chasing" to stay cool.
My boys are Cub Scouts, so they enjoy the rougher aspects of camping, but at the end of the day, nobody wants to suffer in the wilderness - there are vast resources on taking kids camping and fun things to do with them. Keep the wife happy as well, or you'll meet tough resistance on future trips.

AaronK

Explorer
Don't stress about gear. Sounds like you have a good baseline. Use it and improve over time as needs arise

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Except for the tent I think you already have everything you need. Stick to camgrounds with amenities like you said while you warm the wife up to the idea of camping, starting out at place like KOAs where the kids can play in the pool is a good way to get started. It's just like staying at a hotel except instead of going back to your room you goto a tent.

Get a tent with good airflow so you (or the wife/kids) can nap during day if you want. Cots are a good idea too since sleeping on uncomfortable ground will sour anybody on camping. Try to camp in areas and dates where the temperatures are no more than high 80s during the day and no lower than low 60s at night to keep the family content.

Once the family is happy and used to camping in tents and cooking their own meals then you can try to sell them on camping in the deep wilderness where the bathroom consists of a trowel and a roll of toilet paper.

eduelfer

Thanks for the thoughts so far!

I did neglect to list an ez-up. It's owned, but terrifically big and heavy so I may look for a better solution in the future. I would have gone for vehicle based awning, but the truck isn't an ideal platform for this. Depending on trees, I could always string up a tarp for shade too.

I didn't think of KOAs. I've stayed at them in the past, but never really bothered with the additional "amenities" such as the pool and playground. The kids would have a blast though!

madmax718

Explorer
Your absolutely right on not making the first couple times miserable. But dont over think it, you have everything you need.

cheapo headlamps are good for kids. It lets them not feel as afraid of the dark. Also a bucket or lugaable loo is good- the campground bathrooms can be a bit of a distance away.

Shade, bugspray, and cold drinks, smoores.. yum!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Keeping mom happy is key! Hot showers, sources of heat in cool temps. Good wine, good food and keeping the packing and unpacking away from her will go.a long long way!!

Kids have a blast especially given they get lots of attention and time with parents on camping trips. So they are less of a worry regarding future trips.

Roomy tent, and bed comfort thats as good or nearly as good as home will help get mom into the camping idea. Some place with really amazing views and a great spot to sit out reading a book helped get me past the "you want me to go camping?" Response We also.tend to eat like kings on camping trips with me doing a bulk of the cooking.

Took us a full summer 5 trips before my wife started saying things like. Did you know the so-and-so's camp? We should try to plan a trip with them. Hook set!! ;-)

We sorta camped before kids but it was primarily at sailing events so there was a distraction and adult party aspect. Switching to camping to camp I ended up with a 4x6 super basic Lifetime tent trailer, off the ground tent sleeping basically. It wasnt till I got the bed comfort to house level and put LED lighting sewn into the tent that she started getting excited about gear, and looking at interesting places to visit.

Headed out on a 7 day trip end of next week. Cant wait

End of last summer wife used the shower tent and Helio foot pump shower rig for the first time. It apparently went well given ive overheard her telling girlfriends its a must have gear item. ;-)

donaldj

Observer
I'd say for kids that young, don't do too much distance in one day. For adults, the journey is part of the adventure. For kids, they can be far more destination oriented. Of course, you know what's best for your folks. =)

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The Kingdom is a good tent. Lots of space, easy set up, lifetime Warrenty for when your kids blow out a zipper. I recommend getting the little red aluminum stakes from MSR while you are there at the REI store. They are infinitely better than the originals that come with the tent. Get the ground mat! It will keep your tent dry even in the rain (assuming you didn't pitch your tent in a water-collecting depression)

I would add FRS radios and headlamps to your gear lists. One of each for everyone, plus extra "fun" flashlights for the kids.

Camp cooking is easy and fun. Cleaning is a drag. Use a bug sprayer with a pump handle filled with water for showers and dishes. Or get the excellent little shower unit from NEMO called Helio I think. Also, precook stuff. Like Mac and cheese? Cook a bunch, dump it into a disposable tin covered with alum foil, warm it up on the camp stove (stir often), and serve with a Readipac salad kit on paper plates and plastic forks. Very simple, no clean up. Toss the tin in the trash, burn the rest. Great first meal after setting up camp and the energy level is a bit low.

Keep mom warm and feeling clean. Keep the kids dry, or have the ability to dry them quickly, and life will be fine. Bring a bunch of unscented wet wipes!

Have a good quality first aid kit with stuff for bug bites, rashes, skinned knees, splinters, altitude sickness, etc.. The little individual packets of kids Benedryl is amazingly effective against stings and bites.

I like to play survival games with my kids. I'll take'em out a ways from the camp site, using a circuitous route, give them a radio and compass and tell them to find the campsite and get ice cream! Your 5 year old is old enough to start learning how to use game trails and such.

Slack lines are also fun if you are in a tree area or just tie it to two vehicles. When they get a little older Frissbee golf in tree areas is a lot of fun.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I was in your shoes, with a city born and raised Japanese wife. The biggest key thing to make this successful is to make your wife's camping life easy, especially as it relates to the young ones. They're enough work at home, put them "in the field", and things can become exponentially more difficult for mom. If the camping experience adds more work than fun for her it'll die on the vine.

RadarVector

Party on Wayne
I don't have anything to add, you're on the right track. Almost the exact same scenario with my wife and kids. I'm in the same boat starting small but trying to make sure it's super positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eduelfer

More great feedback, thank you! I've updated the original post with suggestions in italics. Easier for me (and others) to find answers that way.

To add to this, my wife is actually getting excited about going. Something about seeing and understanding how it all might work has crystallized it for her. It helps for me to have answers to her questions / concerns before she asks them (makes me sound competent, thanks!).

nwoods

Expedition Leader
by the way, when it comes to making S'mores, there are a few things to help that can be added to your kit.

1. Rolla Roasters. These are excellent compact, well made cooking forks that extend super far (almost 4 feet long) and have a little thumbwheel at the top of the handle that allows you to rotate the marshmallow for a perfect golden crisp. I HIGHLY recommend them. They come two per pack, and we have dozen of them because families always want to use ours whenever we break them out. Available most anywhere for under $15
RollaRoaster.3.2.jpg

2. Try using these chocolate covered cookies instead of laying Hersey's and graham crackers together. Kids don't have the dexterity to build a Smore very easily, but this makes it super easy, less messy. Le Petite Ecolier is the bomb. Available in milk chocolate or dark chocolate
71Z7RBoIdUL._SL1500_.jpg

Honu

lost on the mainland
another smore trick is the keebler fudge stripe cookies :) OH YEAH SUGAR OVERLOAD !!!!!
or use peanut butter cups or other candies that can melt a bit
I have been wanting but keep forgetting to get rolo carmel candy and smash them down and try that :)

anyway tents IMHO a nice comfy tent you can stand up in is my wife for changing etc... we sleep in hammocks but tents are nice to have for our gear
the idea of a large two room tent I think at times in some parks you can run into issues with the tent pad size being to small or finding a spot for a HUGE tent can be a chore

search on tents :) the kodiak are awesome but heavy
tents like REI models etc.. large synthetic are lighter but warmer in warm and cooler in cool temps IMHO at least :)
so pros cons but do a search here tons of info on them

IMHO a tarp for shade and or a place to eat out of bugs is nice if you live around bugs :) we just use spray as AZ does not have to many massive bug issues :)

the kodiak cooking tent is really cool and having a kodiak tent and cook tent would be a awesome setup !!!! but again think about setup weight loading and unloading :)

we dont always bring our small heater Mr Buddy but wife loves it when getting up in cold and wanting to get dressed in warmth etc.. something to think about if you end up in cooler weather for comfort :)
as said the cots are nice and comfy but IMHO for my wife the key thing is being warm so a good bag and a good insulated pad and air beds IMHO and others are not good to bring camping vs a cot and proper insulated sleeping pad :)

cots also give you a place to shove some bags under for gear storage so can keep a tent seeming a bit more roomy :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles