just started a new photo/truck blog, Colorado trips and 2000 taco build.

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
hello

I have been taking photos of all the mods i have done to my truck over the years. I had the intention of doing something with it all and never really got around to it.

Well I have made the first step. I just put up a new blog that currently consists of mostly photo posts (i will be adding descriptions, maps, and organizing the content over the next few weeks)

this is my generic 4x4 tag.
MG_8587tmophoto_2012.jpg
http://www.tmophoto.com/tag/4x4/

that tag will link to posts that are sort of related to offroading (road trips, trails, stupid things i have done and random events in my life related to offroading)

here is a tag that will have most of the modifications that i have done to the truck (2000 trd tacoma)
IMG_0874tmophoto_20121-615x400.jpg

http://www.tmophoto.com/tag/truck/

I have been making a bunch of google maps with routes and pins (click the pin for the image i took from that location) that i will be adding to the road trip posts. if you go to the main blog page you can see the most recent post has one of these maps.

I spent the past few weeks getting content up (currently at 260 posts dating back a few years and lots more content that i still need to add) and this week i am going through all the posts adding descriptions and a short paragraph or two explaining the post in a bit more detail than the images can provide on there own.

I sure wish i took better photos of the build process of the truck but what can I do when I am covered in grease and can barely finish the job before sun goes down. I will be sure to make a better effort for any future mods and repairs.

let me know what you think and if there is a post you want me to start adding the text to first.

thomas

Last edited:

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Great blog. Im a CO photographer too, and would love to join one of your 4x4 photo tours when you get one planned. Keep up the great work!

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
thanks, I will let you know when i start back up.

I have reserved this year for scouting and traveling so i don't have any workshops or group trips planned. I am headed to south america for a few months this spring but when i get back in august I will let you know.
have a great weekend!
t

deadbeat son

Explorer
Nice blog! As I'm sure you know, the photography is amazing. I particularly like the posts with the narratives. It's good to be able to read a little bit of background behind the trip.

Keep up the good work!

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
thanks i am also starting to add google maps with the routes that i drive, and pins with links to photos and info from that particular trip. I hope to have photo location maps for utah, colorado, wyoming, hawaii and idaho by the end of the summer. that would be in addition to the maps for each post.

Screen-shot-2013-03-21-at-1.45.16-PM-615x400.jpg
they will be similar to this.
http://www.tmophoto.com/photo-maps/

if you click the blue pins you can see the photo that i took from that spot on that map

the route and multi day trip maps will look like this (scroll to the bottom of the post)
http://www.tmophoto.com/fall-colors-of-kebler-pass/
and will also have photo pins, camping spots etc..

I only started the blog last week (i put up hundreds of old posts in one weekend) and will be adding descriptions to every post that i have up there. as soon as that is done i have even more images and trips that date from 2002 (when i bought my truck) to 2009. (about 400 more individual posts)

deadbeat son

Explorer
thanks i am also starting to add google maps with the routes that i drive, and pins with links to photos and info from that particular trip...

That's great! That's definitely a cool feature. I'm looking forward to seeing your Grand Mesa route! :wings:

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
that is one of the most incredible places in colorado i think. not super hard but its so beautiful back there in the fall.

I only got to spend a few days back there last year but i plan on a spring snow run and at least a few summer and fall trips back there this year.

NetDep

Adventurer
+1 on when you start back with the 4X4 Photo tours -- I left a note on your blog. Your work is amazing!!

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
thanks, its actually a super easy to put together kit from 4x4labs.com. I got the main shell and a few small parts then built up the rest myself. the entire bumper was welded with my onboard premeire power welder. (the rear bumper was the job i used to learn to use the welder with). I was heavily influenced by 4x4 labs and http://www.armorology.com/ in colorado springs. They make the nicest bumpers that i have ever seen but at the time i couldn't afford it or leave my truck with them for a month

super happy how it turned out. Tons of ground clearance and when it does hit its built like a tank and just slides off. I have put a few good dents in it, but its holding up great and the swng-out with a ladder to get on my platform on the roof is great.

this is what it sort of looks like off the truck. (i have made some changes to it since this photo)
IMG_0776tmophoto_2012.jpg

Last edited:

soonenough

Explorer
I just checked out your website, really nice!! I bookmarked it and will be checking in there regularly now. You have some awesome photos (and a really nice truck) on your site.

I read the page on your site about your winch fire, I bet that was a nail biter for sure. I installed a winch in my truck about 2 months ago, and I was nervous about having to route the cables around sharp sheetmetal and other stuff in the engine bay. For that reason, I encased my winch cables in normal wire loom, and then inside heavy-wall corrugated pond tubing. I know that sounds kinda ghetto, but that stuff is really thick and robust, while still having a surprising amount of flexibility. It's an easy cheap alternative to using armored electrical cable or actually running the winch leads inside metal flex conduit. You can find it at any hardware store that carries supplies for building ponds.

But I want to thank you for giving me the kick in the butt I needed to get a fire extinguisher mounted inside the cab; I'm currently guilty of having it buried underneath tons of gear in the bed of my truck. I think I may also find a way to mount a wrench in the engine bay next to the battery so that I won't have to dig for tools to get the negative battery cable disconnected. My father-in-law's Suburban caught on fire in front of my house from an electrical short, and I vividly remember that feeling of helplessness when you're trying to find the tools to get the battery disconnected while watching the smoke billowing out of the engine bay.

Better yet, maybe I should take your advice and install a master disconnect on the negative battery cable.

Last edited:

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
thanks, i cant wait to get more of my trips and text explaining all the photos (still have hundred of posts that i can put up)

I have yet to install the master disconnect but that can also be used as a security switch. unhook that and the truck wont start.

I think unhooking the winch completely (with a heavy duty disconnect) is the way to go.

I was literally one min away from losing my truck. anyone who drives a car that has been modified at all (electrical or otherwise) without a fire extinguisher is crazy.

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
+1 on when you start back with the 4X4 Photo tours -- I left a note on your blog. Your work is amazing!!

Thanks, I will let you know. It will probably wont be until next year. I am gone for half the summer and I need to spend august - fall scouting new spots in wyoming, idaho and Utah.

t

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles