Just purchased a Military trailer to build a family hauler

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
While I sit and watch the other members great builds My red M101A2 sits idle covered in snow.
I have done some upgrades since my last post such as painting the propane tank and a new 2.5 gallon Jerry can
due to the old one taking on water when it rained.

Five inches of snow covers the trailer as of now.
My one year old Mountain Cur Pup likes the open grass underneath to use as her poop pasture.

Attachments

• Daisy 002.jpg
    Daisy 002.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 92
  • trailer 037.jpg
    trailer 037.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 108
  • trailer 038.jpg
    trailer 038.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 114

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Looking good albeit a bit sad out in the cold. I built a portable shelter for it out of the frame and top from the old 20' one I had for out Travel Trailer. Amazing what you can do with a couple hours, a box of self tapping screws and some tarpaulin!

All that red, is looking good. lol

Heater

Mark, I tow mine with a 2009 Jeep Rubicon JKU and removed the surge brake and replaced with the same type setup you have with the welded channel onto the original bracket. I am looking to lose some more weight and wanted to ask approximately how much weight does removing the brake assemblies provide? Mine are in great shape but I don't use them if only for parking.

Thanks.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
The drums, backing plates and hardware drop 80-100 pounds but the axle is still heavy. I have an 8 on 6.5 matching pattern on my truck
so I never changed the axle. If I had another tow vehicle I would go with a new lighter axle.

I took every unneeded piece off but still am about 900 empty. Then added it all back with gear and metal racks. it is around 1300 now.
Never an issue with my truck but a ***** to push around the yard by myself.

Heater

Thanks for the info. I'm on the fence to pull the axle and replace to a lighter one with matching bolt pattern. Long term I will probably do that. Yes it is an evolution to push it around the yard and my yard has an incline in and out of where I store it.

erymer

Web Wheeler
More items for the trailer build today.
I am going with an adjustable receiver on the front of the trailer
I bought a five height receiver channel and a 2 1/2 " lunette and a 2" ball mount.
This will make it road friendly and trail worthy as well.

I also found a seller that will make any size tube receiver you want with a rolled
lip on the end.

The third picture is of the pintle mount with the original Surge lunette unbolted, The landing leg removed and its mount ground off. The channel will mount on the front and be welded at work " Bunting Graphics Ins. Verona Pa. " It's great to work with a shop full of skilled welders and a warehouse full of steel.

Here is what the UPS driver brought today.

I know it's been a while but do you happen to have a link or remember where you got these from. Love this idea.

Thanks man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles