Just installed 868s

JohnnyS

Explorer
Just installed 868s on the 80 and am totally stoked.
It handles like a Porsche 911...with a small brick shed tied to the roof.

Great on the pavement and doesn't feel at all harsh off road, couldn't be happier :)

My 863s are for sale in the classifieds on Mud if anyone is interested.

JohnnyS

Explorer
868s are the uber heavy OME springs.
An OME rep told a pal that OME originally developed them for up-armored 80s...not sure how true it is but it is pretty funny.
Pics soon :)

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
As noted the 868's (now 2868's) are for the beasts of the beasts in terms of rear load and they are in fact used on armored vehicle builds. As 80/100 builds continue to get heavier and heavier they have found a home in the non-commercial market too.

For some applications the shorter (free height) 2868's may actually net a taller ride height at load than say the 2863J's. I've got a suspension calculator build specifically for the 80/100 Series suspensions that helps determine exactly where a rig will end up with the different springs. While you might get a similar net height out of a 2868 and 2863J with substantial loads, the ride quality and flex may differ substantially and depending on the frequency of your heavy loads they may or not be the best option for you, instead going with the 2864's or comp coil offerings.

JohnnyS

Explorer
I had the 850J/863J combo on my 93 which wasn't remotely as heavy as our current 97, and it turned out uber stink bug.

The 863s were great on our current rig and we were super happy with them until we added Christo's dual swingout (with three jerry cans) and a second spare on an OEM steel wheel.
It started to feel a little sketchy on downhill off camber stuff.

The rig stays loaded all the time so the 868s seemed a better choice for us than the 864s.
The 868s lifted the rear exactly 2 inches, back to it's pre-heavily loaded ride height with 863s.
At the 80's current weight of right around 7K the 850J/868 combo seems to be the perfect combo for us & what we do with it.
Updated pics soon :)

JohnnyS

Explorer
Thanks Kurt!
Looking forward to procuring all the stuff we need to go through the axles from you!!

On a different note I was thinking of installing an Aussie Locker in the back of our 79 FJ40 & I noticed you're only selling the Lockright? i know they are similar but thought the Aussie was a slight improvement...Thoughts?
Take it easy.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...On a different note I was thinking of installing an Aussie Locker in the back of our 79 FJ40 & I noticed you're only selling the Lockright? i know they are similar but thought the Aussie was a slight improvement...Thoughts?
Take it easy.

I think they are both great products and I've installed a fair amount of each. I can't say I've seen any 'improvement' in operation from either of them. I choose to deal only with the LockRight as product support and availability seems to be a little more steady thus from a company standpoint we chose to stick with LockRight. No right or wrong there :D

yohavos

Not to derail this thread, but I had a LockRight in the rear of my 78 FJ40 and had 0 issues with it... it never made a peep, and hooked up when it was time to hook up.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles