Just how much does an LR3 weigh?

zelatore

Explorer
We all know these are heavy rigs. But just how heavy is a kitted out LR3? Well, on my way home from Shaver Lake this afternoon I decided to run mine over the scales and see. I had previously guessed she was 6000-6500 lbs.

But first, some specs. The truck is an '07 LR3 HSE with pretty much every factory option except rear seat DVD players.

I weighed her with full fuel and camping gear on-board. My mods as weighted:

-ARB steel front bumper w/Smittybuilt 10K winch (synth line)
-Custom steel rear bumper w/dual swing outs (spare and jerry can)
-Tactical Rovers rock sliders
-Tactical Rovers gas tank skid
-Tactical Rovers transfer case skid
-Urban Offroad low-profile full length rack
-removed center 2nd row seat and replaced with Dometic 63 qt refrigerator
-RoadShower water tank/shower on rack
-shovel and axe on rack
-48" high-lift on front bumper
-(5) Goodyear Duratrac 275-65-18s on stock 18" wheels

The on-board gear at time of weighing was a full compliment of stuff for 2 people/ 3 days:
OzTent RV4
cots (2)
camp chairs (2)
food/drinks (we were light in this department as we were on the way home)
sleeping bags (2)
approx. 10 gal water
approx. 3 gal extra fuel
recovery gear (2x steel shackles, 2x snatch blocks, 50' snyth winch extension, tow strap, snatch strap, 2x tree straps, etc)
Viair 400 compressor
hand tools
random camping gear - maybe 150 lbs,

So, the total weight without any people aboard came to
'weight' for it...
7140 lbs.

DAY-UM, that's heavy! I did have a little extra stuff along this weekend I wouldn't always carry, but no more than perhaps 50 lbs worth. Throw in a couple of people, and I'm rolling down the road about 7500 lbs fully loaded.

yeah...glad I've got those E rated tires!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
We all know these are heavy rigs. But just how heavy is a kitted out LR3? Well, on my way home from Shaver Lake this afternoon I decided to run mine over the scales and see. I had previously guessed she was 6000-6500 lbs.

But first, some specs. The truck is an '07 LR3 HSE with pretty much every factory option except rear seat DVD players.

I weighed her with full fuel and camping gear on-board. My mods as weighted:

-ARB steel front bumper w/Smittybuilt 10K winch (synth line)
-Custom steel rear bumper w/dual swing outs (spare and jerry can)
-Tactical Rovers rock sliders
-Tactical Rovers gas tank skid
-Tactical Rovers transfer case skid
-Urban Offroad low-profile full length rack
-removed center 2nd row seat and replaced with Dometic 63 qt refrigerator
-RoadShower water tank/shower on rack
-shovel and axe on rack
-48" high-lift on front bumper
-(5) Goodyear Duratrac 275-65-18s on stock 18" wheels

The on-board gear at time of weighing was a full compliment of stuff for 2 people/ 3 days:
OzTent RV4
cots (2)
camp chairs (2)
food/drinks (we were light in this department as we were on the way home)
sleeping bags (2)
approx. 10 gal water
approx. 3 gal extra fuel
recovery gear (2x steel shackles, 2x snatch blocks, 50' snyth winch extension, tow strap, snatch strap, 2x tree straps, etc)
Viair 400 compressor
hand tools
random camping gear - maybe 150 lbs,

So, the total weight without any people aboard came to
'weight' for it...
7140 lbs.

DAY-UM, that's heavy! I did have a little extra stuff along this weekend I wouldn't always carry, but no more than perhaps 50 lbs worth. Throw in a couple of people, and I'm rolling down the road about 7500 lbs fully loaded.

yeah...glad I've got those E rated tires!

Holy buckets! That's a lot of weight! Do you feel all that extra weight driving it?

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
For reference. My 2006 Ford F350 Crew Cab Long Bed, 6.0 Diesel Automatic 4x4

8000 LBS with a full tank of fuel and one passenger.

zelatore

Explorer
Holy buckets! That's a lot of weight! Do you feel all that extra weight driving it?

Oh yes, you feel it. For day trips I'm not loaded that heavy (that OzTent is like 50lbs alone and the jerry can/road shower are only filled when I expect to need them) but really the weight is in the extra steel armor plus the bigger tires so it's not like I can easily drop a lot of weight. I may ditch the stock 3rd row seats for the standard set-up as I think that would be the easiest way to loose maybe 75 lbs (just guessing).

I also need to just re-think my general camping load-out. We've been getting very complacent in the 'hey, I'm not carrying this on my back and we've got lots of space' way, so I'm sure I can loose a few pounds there as well, though not all that much.

It's most evident in extra bounce from the suspension over high-speed undulations with an 'under damped' effect. I just replaced my rear struts (as well as the all the bushings w/poly) and have new fronts to go on, but when fully loaded it's just too heavy for a stock strut to easily control. It's not that bad to drive and you get used to it and just take it easy realizing it's not a sports car but there's no doubt you feel it.

I checked the vehicle weight ratings on the door:

GVWR - 7121 lbs
front axle GWR - 3197 lbs
rear axle GWR - 4090 lbs

At least I don't tow a trailer with it normally!

RoyJ

Adventurer
Holy smokes that's a lot of weight! It may be the "densest" non-commercial vehicle on the road, in terms of weight per length or volume.

Good point about the under damped struts. I guess with air struts, you're constantly increasing spring rate as you load up the truck, without changing damping. Be nice if they offered an adjustable damper, similar to sports cars, except designed for load bearing.

Either way, you're likely over both GAWRs, so may want to find the most heavy duty brake pads you can get, and keep an eye on the bearings.

racehorse

Adventurer
6680 lbs. w/driver
full tactical underplates
TJM front winch
OEM brush guard
Garvin half rack up top
V6 (V8 is 150 or so pounds more)
maybe 60 pounds recovery gear
full spare underneath

zelatore

Explorer
I did some figuring to estimate where the weight was coming from.

C&D lists the curb weight of a loaded HSE at 5686. I don't know if they actually weighed a truck or just took that from printed press material. I also don't know if that's full of fuel or not. A full 22 gallon tank of gas would weigh in at almost 140 lbs.

The stock tires were 255/55-19 Wrangler HPs. I can't find the weight of these tires but estimate it at 40 lbs ea.

I'm running 275/65-18 Duratracs which are listed at 50 lbs ea. So 10x5 tires is an extra 50 lbs just in tires alone.

I weighed my recovery gear - 35 lbs
My tools/spares/compressor - 50 lbs
My HiLift - 32 lbs

Smittybuilt's website says an XRC10 weighs 94 lbs. Not sure if that's with or without line, but let's assume it is. Throw in the aluminum hauser and some mounting hardware and call it 100 lbs.

ARB says 165 lbs for the front bumper

I'll loosely estimate the rear at 225 lbs (we never actually lifted it as a complete unit so it's hard to say)

The roadshower is listed at 15 lbs empty / 55 full

I'll say the fridge is a wash since I removed a seat to install it.

Axe and shovel are pretty light, maybe 20 lbs including the mounting brackets

So that leaves the skids and sliders. I never weighed them and the website doesn't give a weight. I'll estimate each slider is 75 lbs, the gas tank skid about the same and the transfer case skid 50 lbs so that's 275 lbs of undercarriage armor. I might be light on that.

Plus random other stuff I've added like the lights and wiring but they are pretty small potatoes.

If we add all this up we get 917 extra lbs dry. Add 5 gallons of fuel and 5 gallons of water and call it 1000 lbs.

If we add that to the C/D spec we are now at 6686 lbs - and that's without camping gear on top of it. So you can see how it all adds up. My OzTent is 50 lbs by itself.

I might be able to pair down on some of my recovery and tools/spares but not a lot. And sure I could switch to my REI Hobbitat at 15 lbs, or even my Big Agnes copper spur at 2 lbs. But I won't

And I'm not going any lighter on my armor. I have a habit of USING it. Like, a lot. I'm a sucker for peer pressure and just hate it when somebody else goes where they think I can't.

(edit)
looks like I was a little light on the Tactical armor. They list the sliders as 205/pair, 70 for the tank skid and 60 for the X-fer case skid.

Last edited:

racehorse

Adventurer
Just informational for those reading and wondering 'how do i get my rig weighed easily' try a city or county landfill (dump). In my area, it costs $5 to dump trash items and while you are there you can weigh your rig. Might even be able to do it for free if you ask nice.

zelatore

Explorer
good idea. I just ran it through the CAT scales at a local truck stop. Cost me $10.50 and only took a couple minutes.

mass

Observer
Working on compiling information for a guidebook I've been asked to write about my traversing of the Butterfield Overland Mail Route, started seeing what other kitted out LR3's weighed.
I clocked in at 7,720 origin weight before my departure on my journey.

Definitely worth taking the brief time to find out your gross weight if you're ever curious... pushing it to the limit at 600 pounds over GWVR, not recommended but sometimes we live dangerously. It made the trip and still functions to this day as my farm & game truck/daily driver.
1645547905742.png

Yeah, Victory is getting a new battery and new coolant hoses/fittings all around this week and next; she is completely cleaned out in her pre-departure configuration and will go to the scales with a full tank of gas (No Aux) and the full-size spare hanging. I’ve thought about taking the ARB awning off as I plan to buy a Alu-270 but the awning is always on so it’ll be in her empty weight configuration and see what I’m starting with.

Just cuz you can take it, doesn’t mean you should; I‘m curious to know the true baseline empty weight now! :ROFLMAO::cool:

gabrielef

I weighed my 2016 LR4 with most of its gear on. Came in 300 lbs over gross. If I were to add my wife and son plus food, bedding and other camping equipment, we’d add another 600-700 lbs. I’m sure we’re were over gross last year when we went to Baja in our ‘06 LR3 and she did awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krick3tt

Adventurer
I stopped at a roadside truck scale that had no trucks at the moment and asked the operator if my LR could be weighed and he did it for me at no charge. Fully kitted out with camping gear, gas and me was 7820 pounds. Sure glad to have E rated tires and a large HP engine. I don't really feel that heavy but I am sure my gas consumption shows it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles