Just got off ferry in Tasmania and water pump is leaking... Anyone know

HazMan

Observer
Don't worry. We're just camped by a river and I ran it like that for a short time (stationary) while I replenished the batteries and kept a close eye on things.

Sexy Ninja

Unrelated to the thread, just curious how much the ferry cost to get over. I've got a similar truck and was quoted over $3k return.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
If the truck is registered as a motorhome you have to make that clear, not that it is a commercial truck, as the rates are very different for the two.

Cuddy

Observer
We paid around $2200 with the caravan, around 14m long a year ago. Have your truck measurements to tell them for the quote- as mentioned above make sure you are not quoted the rate for a commercial truck. Mine is not registered as a camper. Worth going down, tassie is awesome.

Spanna 53

OK fellas I am in Cygnet at present having taken 2 and a bit weeks to get this far it cost just under $ 800 to cone over on the Sprit in my NPS which is under 7 Mts long only a it longer than a Cruiser or Patrol and of course has a much better turning circle but let's not go there . We went to Bruny Island and the ferry over there was under $60 roads are narrow and internationals every where ,and that was return on both ferries don't forget to say it's a motorhome . Ross

gait

Explorer
Depends on season. Depends on day trip vs overnight + cabin. Height above 2.1m. And how many people.

Cost one person in $560 ish return in 7.9m mhome, shoulder seasons, day trips.

Book long time ahead (currently no space headed north until after May)

Spanna 53

Yes we booked in October for the start of February sailed over night from Melbourne tried to come to alter the return booking by 2days earlier to no avail the truck is 3 meters high so we were on the bottom deck an ATW and Earthcruiser as well as large caravans on 4wd s that was for the two of us and will return on a day sail

PeteFox

I live in Tasmania and travel on the ferry several times a year.
You do not need to be registered as a motorhome but you need to make your booking as a motorhome. If you don’t you will be treated as freight, the stevedores will drive your vehicle on and off and you will have to wait in port to have it unloaded, may take a couple of hours. The cost for an Isuzu NPS, 6.3m length was $1200 in Nov ‘18, ONE WAY, just for the truck, passenger fares were extra.
As a contrast I have rebooked a return trip as a motorhome with the same vehicle (camper is on) in May ‘19 and the cost is $800 return with 2 passengers and accommodation. The main reasons for the difference is vehicles travel cheaper than freight and the federal govt has a subsidy on motorised passenger vehicles but not trucks. The Isuzu qualifies as a passenger vehicle when configured as a motorhome.
If you are towing a caravan or trailer there is no subsidy for the trailer part of the vehicle as it is not motorised, the length of the trailer is calculated and you are charged full price for the trailer.
Pete

Heading over early April. Day sail over and back with no accommodation on board. Motorhome 5.5m and over 2.1m high. $554 all done. Have been 3x in 4 years and price roughly the same except on overnight returns when booked in a cabin. Might be wrong but I think the truck goes over for same price as a car, however they need to know the height to put it in the appropriate place. FG637 swb Canter. Excess length costs $. A number of Tasmanians found the tray back ute with camper a good way to avoid the cost penalty of taking a caravan back and forth. P.s. ,this has nothing to do with water pumps ?.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles