Just got an air locker and need info!

scrubber3

Not really here
Okay, found a 1994 SR that still had the rear locker with air pump and switch. Took the rear out, grabbed the pump, pulled the switch. I found it in a pick and pull when I was looking for a condenser fan. (Switched that out already) The price was amazing so I didn't hesitate. Now I need to know if there is anything else I need to make this work. My Montero is a 95 LS. Oh, I already put the switch in the LS. Waiting on installing the rear before I put the pump in. So the major questions are as follows:

1) Are the gear ratios the same? What are they?

2) Will the drive shaft need to be switched out?

3) Do I need to put a fuse or relay in somewhere?

Tell you what, if anyone has done this and wouldn't mind sharing the information..... Well, Id love the help.

Thanks in advance! :ylsmoke:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Is your 95 an LS or an SR? If it's an LS, then you need the housing because the SR differential is a 9.5" ring gear and yours is only 8.5". Gear ratio is 4.6x:1

No the drive shaft will be fine.

Not sure about thefuse but you can easily add one in line.

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
Nice find! I'm planning to do a similar swap on my 92'.

Off-Roader, do you know if the SR housing swaps directly into other Gen. 2's? BTW, I saw you on 880 a few weeks ago on my normal commute home. Nice looking rig.

scrubber3

Not really here
Off-roader, it's a 95 ls. I got the whole housing cause I new about the size difference. So the front diff of my LS will pair fine with the SR'rs rear? This is good news! I will start on cleaning it up tomorrow. Going to make it as new as possible. Have a bit of rust to clean off of it. I ended up getting the cooling fan, spare tire holder, switch, pump, and rear diff for 200. I'm stoked. I've already put the orange sticker down near the switch. The switch is in place as well as the spare tire holder which means the spare is held on with more than one lug bolt and a bungie cord. :) not to mention my ac is colder now.

Still open for more suggestions/ info!

Thanks again for the help!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Nice find! I'm planning to do a similar swap on my 92'.

Off-Roader, do you know if the SR housing swaps directly into other Gen. 2's? BTW, I saw you on 880 a few weeks ago on my normal commute home. Nice looking rig.

Yes it should swap right up from all the various swaps I've seen/read about on here and on 4x4wire.

Thanks. I normally make the commute from Lathrop to Santa Clara 2x/week.:Wow1:

scrubber3

Not really here
Okay. With the diff lock switch in place, when I engage, I get no voltage to pump. Also the rear aux power plug is out. ALL fuses under instrument panel and engine compartment are good. ( tested with volt meter and visual). Any ideas where there may be a fusible link or another fuse I am unsure of? Anybody know a link to get wiring diagram? Thanks again.

Howah

Observer
fsm 92-95 enginechassisbody page 689 is your friend

locker only kick if switch on in when in 4hlc or 4llc
you did get the control unit right

according to 92-95 electrical fsm, theres a relay above the fuse box thats inside the truck. its the relay on the upper left above the cover. see page 500-507 regarding cig and rear aux socket

Last edited:

scrubber3

Not really here
fsm 92-95 enginechassisbody page 689 is your friend

locker only kick if switch on in when in 4hlc or 4llc
you did get the control unit right

according to 92-95 electrical fsm, theres a relay above the fuse box thats inside the truck. its the relay on the upper left above the cover. see page 500-507 regarding cig and rear aux socket

Okay, I fixed the rear aux socket.(the link in it was bad so I put in another one)

I got the pump assembly, the switch, and the differential. What is this control unit you speak of sir? (I take it that it isn't already on the LS?) More importantly-WHERE? Thanks for the help!!! got to get back to the salvage yard quick if I have to dig it out of that SR.. EDIT: after looking at a PDF file of the wiring schematics I see that there is a control unit and that it is on the other side of the floorboard from the pump. Is this correct?

Last edited:

scrubber3

Not really here
Okay, if someone could post up a picture of the control unit and where it is exactly, I will go get one off of that SR. I just have to know what it looks like and where it is. That is if it is not on my truck already. AND.... is there a need to hook up the lock detection switch on the diff itself or can I bypass that?

Howah

Observer
don't know where the control unit is located because mine hasn't failed yet. isn't there a write up in 4x4wire regarding rear locker swap with pix

scrubber3

Not really here
You are a gentleman and a scholar sir! Thank you very much! I will head out tomorrow to retrieve the Diff lock controller. Many thanks to those of you who have help and if anyone has any further information, all will be considered!

Once again, THANK YOU!!

:clapsmile

off-roader

Expedition Leader
EDIT: after looking at a PDF file of the wiring schematics I see that there is a control unit and that it is on the other side of the floorboard from the pump. Is this correct?

Are you looking at a download copy of the pdf of the original factory manuals from mitsubishi links dot com?:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles