Just Downsized to a Renegade (build and trips)

borison

Adventurer
Man, you do very nice, neat work. All your stuff has a nice finished look to it. I always look forward to seeing your additions to this rig.

crossed-up

Observer
Well, after sorting out my storage crates ready for a trip our city and my suburb were the first two areas of the UK to be put back into lockdown, so I have been grounded for the last few weeks again. But due to increased testing and a reducing infection rate we've been set free this weekend (at least as far as the rest of the country has) But the extended lockdown at least gave me time to do the major 4th service on the Jeep and sort out a few more jobs, and generally give everything a good clean and inspection. All being well the two Renegades will be meeting up in Wales next weekend to visit some favourite green lanes.

Some words and pictures from he last few weeks...

Starting with the oil and filter change the first problem was the head of Torx head bolts holding the lower edge of the facia stripped, so I had to grind a slot in it and use an flat blade impact wrench on it!
I0000lFaWV7aKCjQ.jpg

After sorting that I could get the sump guard off which also reminded me that the last time i did this job I had spotted one of the front mounting M8 bolts had been sheared off, so another thing to add to the list!
I0000moWqUbSEAVI.jpg

Next it was wheels off and the plastic arch liners. The driver’s side line has to come off anyway to access the oil filer, but i wanted to take the others off to jet wash out the mud and kill the surface rust on the suspension components. It was also an opportunity to check fastener types and sizes to make sure I have the suitable tools in my kit - The BU is almost exclusively Torx rather than hex heads.

Plenty of cleaning to be done here!
I0000xgNHs_.86.M.jpg

Liner removed and a quick jet wash cleaned things up nicely
I0000gP2lk8zSwe8.jpg

The other side cleaned up well too.
I0000qypQpmmZOHc.jpg

I00004Cn0w6UeLZg.jpg

Arch liners awaiting the jet wash.
I000072Qyz679nLI.jpg

Access to the oil filter and opportunity to check the alternator belt.
I00002jwQfASlnpo.jpg

Dropping the oil.
I0000jj7zPWpvSVc.jpg

The filter change is a bit of a faff as toy have to use a length of pipe to rain the housing before releasing the retaining cap.
I0000B8e40ST00iw.jpg

Putting a new filter element in.
I0000lem1Xuu099k.jpg

More later…

crossed-up

Observer
Continuing with the service items and other mucky jobs...

Fresh oil. I went for Shell Helix as it was on offer.
I0000eNwVMKToIZk.jpg[

Being a modern vehicle you need a computer even to change the oil! More specifically to reset the oil change and quality counters.
I0000Qo1XZOasK6A.jpg

The 4th service requires that the brake fluid is changed.
I0000wxqPXI5xIwE.jpg

With all the fluids changed I set about sprucing up the suspension components before putting the arch liners back in. I treated everything liberally with ACF50 which soaks into the corrosion and eventually drys to a nice uniform finish.

After initial cleaning.
I0000ak.hHqUEcmw.jpg

After applying ACF50 (still wet)
I0000KajivKa9tD4.jpg

Everything back in place, clean and tidy and looking ‘cared for’ again!
I0000px8qMR0n9Ow.jpg

I0000X0Vlv2kQ8cI.jpg

That was pretty much it for the dirty service items, so I moved inside to replace the cabin filter.

The glovebox has to come out to access the cabin filter housing. The filter lives behind the honeycomb patterned panel.
I000019d3lzdCcpQ.jpg

Filter slides out once the retaining cover is removed.
I0000WR7pUM3x9rM.jpg

Old filter was pretty well choked with dust.
I0000jQ7yH2FDOH0.jpg

Next up, sprucing up the paintwork and a couple of fabrication projects...

crossed-up

Observer
When I bought the Jeep there were a few small nicks and scratches going down to the white primer. I just touched these in with some base coat at the time but since it was going to be in under cover in the garage for a few more weeks it was an opportunity to flat them down, apply some lacquer and buff them out. I’m not too precious about the paint given what the jeep gets used for, but I like to keep on top of it.

First off I washed and clay barred the whole car to get the surface nice and clean and highlight the touched in scratches, then I flatted these down with 1500 grade wet and dry. I then applied several layers of lacquer over a couple of days to make sure the level was high enough to flat back.
I00003s3a0dBNjmc.jpg

Flatting down carefully until flush with the surrounding surface.
I0000mU0SaiUZVao.jpg

After a couple days I then buffed the the repairs with finishing compound and then polished and waxed the hole Jeep.
I0000Ki8KKALpdPc.jpg

I0000KxWizyPAjMU.jpg

I0000jWKT.9MghmQ.jpg

I0000PBF5c8zvbx0.jpg

Since the wheels were already off I gave then the same treatment (too much time on my hands!)
I0000jO33qDhiMoY.jpg

I0000dOPUOoErqrc.jpg

When first making up my lamp brackets I managed to get water inside one of the lamps after removing the small label sealing the steady-bar mount hole and leaving it out in the rain for a couple of days. Various attempts to dry it out failed so with plenty of time on my hands I decided to attack it properly. After much prising and tweaking with trim tool I eventually managed to get the rim off and discovered the whole lamp is assembled into the cast casing with polyurethane sealant. So I had to gently cut and prise the assembly apart. There was actually a fair volume of water inside and the aluminium casting had started to corrode, so I caught it just in time.
I0000uac4mdGb0cw.jpg

Casting dried and corrosion treated with ACF50
I0000DXxkg1ktgqI.jpg

While the lamp was off I decided to make up some trim pieces from some scrap ali angle to hide the bare mounting bolt.
I0000InnPSnoWS2k.jpg

I0000VDC4NyvFGCE.jpg

Reassembled lamp and painted trim pieces ready to go back on.
I0000HSaokO4V2us.jpg

Lamps back on with trim piece in place.
I0000oKT9h9rjjyk.jpg

Next up, waffle boards and potential water/fuel tank build...

crossed-up

Observer
When moving from the WK to the Renegade I couldn’t find room to carry my waffle boards internally, without cutting them down significantly, which would make them potentially less useful, so the only option really was to mount them on the roof. I could have taken the easy option and bought some roof cross bars or just lashed the board across the roof rails, but I wanted a lower profile solution.

So I started by cutting them down to fit width between roof rails (only lost about 6” of length) and sitting them on some 25mm foam to get an idea of how I could mount them. The roof is actually more curved than it appears, so the boards needed to sit higher to clear the centre, but this meat the lower edges sat level with the underside of the roof rails and would allow mounting using some simple plates. I wanted to keep the weight roughly over the rear wheels which meant I’d have to use two plates each side to account for the roof rail mountings.
I0000h3YzbwHeWJg.jpg

I0000P2.9T1dLBm0.jpg

The only suitable material I had was the remains of an old 6mm dural sump guard, so that’s what I used!
I0000wB_KisY0hkM.jpg

I basically sized the plates to make the best use of the quantity of material I had after deciding on the width I needed to support the end of the waffle boards.
I0000YWdsc9zIb28.jpg

Drilling and fitting the inserts to the underside of the roof rails.
I0000u5EQ0Ria3X4.jpg

Trial fitting rough cut plates.
I0000u2M7KPo1Nq4.jpg

Refining the plate profiles
I0000TnupAVkECnc.jpg

The plates needed a slight bend in them to allow for the roof rails not being horizontal.

I0000LwSImGwWk6c.jpg

Plates prepped for paint. I masked off the mounting surfaces to leave bare metal for the sealant/adhesive to adhere to.
I0000h_ayAeODSIU.jpg

Given the load and potential vibration issues I opted to bond and bolt the plates to the rails. This also meant I didn’t need packers to fill the recess in the underside of the rail.
I0000cpQKo2N3elk.jpg

I0000lKHJa7yT6aE.jpg

I0000jaGrwv.XjDk.jpg

Continued......

crossed-up

Observer
The location of the new plates meant I needed to rethink my CB aerial mount. In the end I decided just to cut down the bracket and mount it on the vertical face of the roof rail. I used three inserts which may bit a bit unnecessary but there’s a fair bit of stress that goes through the mount. It was also an opportunity to re-route the cable through the roof rail.
I0000PFQErMG3VrI.jpg

I0000p1swTyPuyJY.jpg

I0000.i94HqEJzPI.jpg1000

Rails back on the Jeep with plates in situ.
I0000SQ_3JCRk7zI.jpg

I00002sg99RqMU0k.jpg

Waffle boards cleaned up with a grinding disc and sitting in place.
I00002_psZVmAi34.jpg

I0000NBacbf4ME1M.jpg

I0000aRO6tTNMXBY.jpg

I00009fA9XS159d0.jpg

Revised CB aerial mount.
I0000qXTWB8IGpqY.jpg

I just to make up some retaining clamps to keep the board in place., then its off to Wales on Friday :)

crossed-up

Observer
I spent an hour or so this evening making up some clamps for the waffle boards. I just need to fit some thin self-adhesive foam strips to the plates on the roof rails and the underside of the ears on these clamps to help keep the board in place, and that should do for now.

I0000j1Ql.ZhmeGA.jpg

I00005uaVAipj8OQ.jpg

I0000g4UOgyVtTPE.jpg

jeepgc

Adventurer
Wow, more great work - really good examples of reducing, reusing and recycling :).

Smart solutions and looks tailor made,

Just had a thought - can you see the crates/storage from the front of your Jeep through the windscreen? If you haven't already, wondering whether you could put some screen/fabric in place to hide from curious eyes?

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Again, I can't get over the quality and attention to detail your work entails. You've inspired me to start using my welder and just start puttering around in the garage and make some stuff. Great work!

crossed-up

Observer
Thanks JeepGC, I'm a great believer in using what is to hand and fixing and repurposing things rather than just throwing them away. Regarding the visibility of the crates, the rear head rests obscure most of the view so its all mostly out of sight.

Thanks AggieOE, nice to know I have inspires you to get busy in the garage - its where great things

I've just got back from a couple of days in Wales within our family cover bubble, which is the first time I've been further the a few mies from home for months, so it was great to get a change of scenery and get out in the mountains, albeit small but beautifully formed ones. Here are some pics from a track we chose to drive in the Elan Valley near the dams and reservoirs.

The view back to our starting point at the dam. Land Rover used this dam in their famous 80's ad where a Land Rover is seen winching itself up the dam face.
I00001nw4Ab8zvwQ.jpg

The starts with river crossing at the base of the dam and follows the river down the valley and is often waterlogged, but the spell of dry weather meant things would be more conducive to a pleasant family day out.
I00004gyI0DF15pI.jpg

I0000bdzPGjolykM.jpg

I0000oVgHFvcH5eA.jpg

I0000B7hayAYlYH8.jpg

We stopped for lunch a short way into the track.
I0000NdQlhmgGhVY.jpg

I0000Wo4uJ0Fde_k.jpg

The track continues down the valley parallel to the river. It was fairly easy going but some sections looked more like a canal, so some caution was required to check the depth of the deeper looking sections, and the possibility of hidden rocks. Depth varied from half to three quarter wheel height, so not a major problem.
I0000vbWnlMQ4RHo.jpg

The track became rockier as we descended the valley.
I0000QbHlP7hYch4.jpg

I0000bCJWHIrQVGw.jpg

I0000.sptZIPni_4.jpg

I0000wsekIT1gcIQ.jpg

I0000durqmua9e.o.jpg

I0000WpRz_QI3vjU.jpg

Things smoothed out again as we neared the end.
I0000vsucB9kNsVw.jpg

I00006DR1QlA6qWQ.jpg

Exiting the trail.
I000018_iaR96y78.jpg

jeepgc

Adventurer
Just been sent this short video:

Very nice, good to see you getting out - I am itching to go somewhere, a tiny bit envious.

Question - the kind lady doing gate duty on the first water crossing - did she get wet or was there enough space to get back onboard dry :).

crossed-up

Observer
Thanks jeepgc, it was great to break free and get out, if only for a couple of days. The last time I drove that track was many years ago in a couple of Lada Nivas and it was almost impassable due to flooding, so it was nice to tackle it in the dry.

It was my sister-in-law on gate duty and it ended up a bit like the riddle of crossing the river with a fox, chicken and grain. We didn't think things through and she should have gone across in the first Jeep, as social distancing meant should could travel in mine. So a return trip was required, which seemed to provide some entertainment for the onlookers :)

I0000LSYH7ecBFQk.jpg

So she did remain dry......until being 'volunteered' to investigate the depth of the waterlogged sections of the trail further down:D

crossed-up

Observer
Not done any updates here for a while since it's been a case of ‘all dressed up and nowhere to go’ for the last few months. Particularly annoying as we had a few days of snowfall that would it would have been nice to got out and explore in.

I0000G.b3HMMswoo.jpg

I0000cTcW1co5lcw.jpg

So apart from dreaming and planning of future trips and the odd trip to the office, it's been an opportunity to do few little jobs, starting with sorting out an intermittent speaker-induced buzz from the driver’s door, somewhere near the arm rest area. It's been there since I've had the car but not too much of worry. I always knew that the door mirror had been replaced (it was painted body colour, rather than anthracite grey, and there was evidence of scuff down the front wheel arch trim from whatever incident must have required the mirror being replaced). I had a suspicion that the whole door might have been replaced but it was one of the reasons I managed to negotiate a good price on it.
Anyway, the first job was to remove the door trim, and the tell-tale signs of some previous activity started to appear.

Small gouge on the score covers
I0000xKmkvZOFqts.jpg

Slightly chewed screw head
I0000z_rg1vydNeg.jpg

The dealer obviously prefers the 'shove a screwdriver in and prod around' approach trim removal!
I00006psfw9gL8yA.jpg

Remnants of the plastic clip which they didn't bother to replace.
I0000q5HoF0JRyMU.jpg

This was the source of the buzzing - one of the Torx screws on the mounting bracket was not tightened down leaving 4mm of movement on the bracket. Not sure if this is an FCA QC failure, or more fallout from the mirror replacement.
I0000iA5gwj6jHhg.jpg

Since several of the half turn fasteners were also loose I think it was more like to be the result of an inexperienced/untrained mechanic trying to find their way into the door void by undoing anything that looked to be holding the inner panel in place, then forgetting to tighten them up again. Not a great reflection of the dealer who had supplied and 'looked after' it for the previous owner.
I0000Scdgow_46D0.jpg

I had to wait a few days to put things back together as I needed some new OEM clips to replace the broken and missing ones. I know its easy to break these fasteners, and for some operation like removing and refitting the wheel arch trims they are considered a disposable item, but you would think they'd have had replacements to hand.
I0000Dwu_jv9Plds.jpg

I0000SAn4jcsg_gw.jpg

I touched up the damaged paint.
I0000QdBkIslaOJY.jpg

Door panel back on.
I000081WwcESxmpQ.jpg

On the home straight refitting all the fasteners.
I0000EmXhL0aYzCw.jpg

Its all back together now and happy that the buzz has been banished, and I now know something more about the Jeep.

Next up front storage bins and solar....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles