Just Downsized to a Renegade (build and trips)

crossed-up

Observer
With the ongoing lockdown on travel we've still not been able get out in the Jeeps. But with some local easing of restrictions my brother nephew and I decided to spend a day at the local off road centre and give the Trailhawks som exercise. The site is basically a quarry with various features set to challenge 4x4s of all shapes and sizes. We kept out of the 4 foot deep 'swamp' and boulder field, but tackled pretty much everything else. As long as you kept out of the deeper ruts the little Renegades just seem to go where you point them in these dry conditions.

Some pics...
I0000uSFtkficAkg.jpg

I0000TfqB0NXaj8Q.jpg

I0000BWCA0Iagvzc.jpg

We had the whole site to our selves apart from the site owner in his Landy who was giving some instruction to a couple
I00008Zock_5EwQ4.jpg

There was some water to play in.
I00002QXIRwGaY5U.jpg

I0000CBgBgOkTYA4.jpg

The customary lunch break.
I0000QLGme0QfDEQ.jpg

I0000c96qU0YV47w.jpg

The Geolanders provided loads of grip on the sandy climbs and decent.
I0000iIhJP0nfkLU.jpg

I0000d0LH3J12WuM.jpg

I0000mHNqhv.9xx0.jpg

I00001NdQvGlHeUs.jpg

I0000KQCIBckRk.0.jpg

I00009cOLBwf2VAY.jpg

I0000WC0d9sHXLyw.jpg

I0000Dtse9WChXLE.jpg

crossed-up

Observer
Spent yesterday starting he cleanup and maintenance following last week’s session at Avalanche. Apart from copious amounts of sandy clay stuck around underside and a few more scuffs and scrapes, the only thing that needed any real attention was the tail pipe. At some point it must have taken a whack that folded the end over.

I0000zsAV5mpBybM.jpg

A bit of work with some pliers and the hammer and dolly soon had it sorted.
I0000xd88OAsmyro.jpg

Nearly there..
I0000HoOUh_2nW.s.jpg

That’ll do.
I0000ovB5FX_fTvk.jpg

Mattlodi

Your build quality is top notch, if i'd have 1/3 of your skill i'll be more than happy! :eek:
Just a question, did you spray the bedliner directly on the plywood or did you do some kind of treatment before?

crossed-up

Observer
Thanks Mattlodi. Some of the build was repurposed from the WK where I had used an acrylic clear varnish over the ply, and I continued with this finish for a while with the added components for the Renegade. So when I applied the bed liner finish I was putting it on top of that. But when I built the second version of the drawer I just applied it over the bare ply after the usual sanding. I can't say I have noticed any difference in the final finish with either method.

crossed-up

Observer
Despite Covid 'Freedom Day' being postponed for a few weeks due to the recent surge in Delta Variant cases, recreational travel is still allowed, so we took the Jeeps on a mini adventure up to the Lake District to drive an old coach road. I drove this many years ago in my Niva, so it was nice to go back revisit it. There has been quite a bit of maintenance done on the surface in recent months and the great weather meant it was nice and dry, so it was a nice relaxing day in the mountains taking in the scenery as it passed by, but there was still a few rocky sections to negotiate to add to the adventure.

Some pics.

I00003EHdAIzzePg.jpg

I0000TQ9YuExHRvU.jpg

I0000_UaOE2SrovM.jpg

I0000gni2qwnnsOI.jpg

I0000h_OVobqRzqg.jpg

I0000mU06qKMXsZU.jpg

I00007igz2jwo84I.jpg

I0000MwhzaI8eIVw.jpg

I0000VG09ScMP3C4.jpg

I0000Q1nQePVEfbA.jpg

I00006NQklQa6U2E.jpg

crossed-up

Observer
It was a public holiday today so we decided to take the Jeeps out for a little green lane trip with the essential lunch stop at an old railway bridge over a disused railway. It was a lot dryer than the last time I drove this track but there were still a few mud holes to undo all the cleaning I'd done yesterday! Met a couple of Land Rovers (a family in a Disco and a guy in a prepped 90) that were out enjoying the same lane too. All in all a great way to spend a day off from work.
Some pics...

I0000C_Sd6bFlvoo.jpg

I0000Yq8iyWY1e3Q.jpg

I0000pDb7bszXntY.jpg

I0000V.xhvyq3nnQ.jpg

I0000uZimbLXmgo0.jpg

I0000gOAqc2ivBFw.jpg

I0000PNzAMSD_RE8.jpg

I0000RxAOq.KLfFI.jpg

I000085BXSXX9AYI.jpg

I0000F2FFW_ZFZjE.jpg

I0000dxsWJrgPKSA.jpg

I0000j3erAxARbfM.jpg

I0000rkUvhx_1GJ0.jpg

I0000kXuSFkXiTlg.jpg

I00007zrPw0V.28s.jpg

Last edited:

billiebob

I am amazed where that Renegade has gotten you an awesome build, love the cabinetry work and obviously a skilled driver too.
Tread lightly must be the mantra.

crossed-up

Observer
Sorry for the lack of response Billiebob, I hadn’t realised just how long its been seen posting here :oops: Yes, tread lightly is definitely the mantra.

Things have been rather disrupted and uncertain with work and COVID so travel plans have been on hold, but we have managed a couple of short laning trips to Northumberland and Norfolk. Since then its been a bit of a rush to prep for a long-time planned, but two-year-delayed return to the Pyrenees to explore Andorra. Just three days left now before we leave!

I’ll post up some more details and pics of the other trips shortly, but here ar a couple from Northumberland so start with.

I0000Zv5B3WaBaw0.jpg

I0000hcGgL692cOk.jpg

crossed-up

Observer
I didn't get chance to post any final prep. pics before having to leave for the trip as things got a little hectic. Anyway, just got back at the weekend. All in all it was another fantastic trip down through France, exploring the smugglers trials between Andorra and Spain. I have only just started going through the pics but here is one to start with.

I0000mQGb6UDtU.o.jpg

I0000Nm8Qu1G3YA8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles