Just bought an ARB fridge/freezer, set to 24 fahrenheit, but no ice. Defective?

Vanaddict

Hi, I just bought a new ARB fridge/freezer, I've got it running in my house and just wanted to make some ice so I set it to 24 Fahrenheit. There's no ice. The internal temperature is 24 according to the freezer.

Do I have a defective unit or is there some reason I'm not aware of for why there's no ice in the freezer?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
How long has it been running? Since it isn’t a forced air unit like your kitchen fridge, it can take a (very long) while to make ice. If it is essentially empty other than the water you want to freeze, you might go days before you get ice cubes. Lots of posts here about expectations and thermal mass management.
Put some soda cans touching the sides of the fridge inside. They will freeze and explode quickly.
Mine usually runs set around 28 and it can take weeks to freeze a water bottle. If you want frozen faster, set it around zero or minus a bit.

Vanaddict

How long has it been running? Since it isn’t a forced air unit like your kitchen fridge, it can take a (very long) while to make ice. If it is essentially empty other than the water you want to freeze, you might go days before you get ice cubes. Lots of posts here about expectations and thermal mass management.
Put some soda cans touching the sides of the fridge inside. They will freeze and explode quickly.
Mine usually runs set around 28 and it can take weeks to freeze a water bottle. If you want frozen faster, set it around zero or minus a bit.

It sounds like you know a lot about these types of (chest) fridge/freezers.

Is there anyway to do freezing / fridge in these single zone units by layering or positioning things in a certain way?

Ie. Have ice, frozen meat, ice cream at the bottom, but have not frozen stuff on top, etc

NatersXJ6

Explorer
It sounds like you know a lot about these types of (chest) fridge/freezers.

Is there anyway to do freezing / fridge in these single zone units by layering or positioning things in a certain way?

Ie. Have ice, frozen meat, ice cream at the bottom, but have not frozen stuff on top, etc

I don’t know a ton, but I’ve had one running in each car for 4-5 years now. An ARB 47 and a CFX ... 35?

Basically, the coils on the inner surface are what get cold, and you have to get the heat from the food to those coils, so things that conduct are helpful (water, metal cans) and things that insulate (foam, cardboard, plastic) hurt. If you pre-chill or pre-freeze stuff and stack it in the bottom, it will stay frozen a very long time. Put other stuff (cold but not frozen) in the middle. Fill any random space with water bottles, they provide a lot of “thermal mass” to help moderate the temperature swings in the fridge and reduce overall energy consumption accordingly. Rotating things from inside to outside can help cool them off initially, but once they get there, there isn’t much point IMHO. In addition, lots of people just throw 3-4 drinks in at a time and keep the rest out to save space. I keep mine full all the time... just personal preference. It takes a few days for something like a soda or water to freeze.

john61ct

Adventurer
That is not set cold enough, —5° F is the goal

Fill it up chocabloc, air spaces filled with water bottles.

Pre-chill the contents, or can take days to get to the steady state duty cycle, depending on ambient.

Will need lots of Ah per day even then.

Hoooogan

I've never come across an ARB that was accurately calibrated from the factory. @chet6.7 dropped the video to calibrate. I strongly suggest you do it. I've seen up to 7 degrees F and it's usually displaying colder than it is..

Everyone has already mentioned relevant info to the fridge layout and general use, but you need to think in terms of a slow cooker, but cooling down (to make ice). You're barely under freezing, so it will take a LONG time to get it to actually freeze. If you want to speed up the process, you set the temp WAY down, otherwise you are "slow freezing" the water. You need a large difference in temperature to get things where you want, faster.

Grassland

24 °f is not a freezer temp. That's a fridge running too cold.
I don't have the temps memorized as I'm not in the refrigeration side of the industry just AC side, but there are industry standards for frozen goods storage temps, fridge temps, etc.
Edit: I think a home freezer should be 0°F and the fridge 38-40°F

Distilled water freezes at 32°F, tap water might be slightly below that depending on its mineral levels etc, and then there is the calibration issue mentioned above, as well consider where the fridge reads that temp from. The inside of the unit is not a homogeneous temperature.

Vanaddict

24 °f is not a freezer temp. That's a fridge running too cold.

Edit: I think a home freezer should be 0°F and the fridge 38-40°F

The inside of the unit is not a homogeneous temperature.

Didn't realize this. Thanks for the knowledge.

Since it isn’t a forced air unit like your kitchen fridge, it can take a (very long) while to make ice.

I didn't even realize there were multiple types of fridges. What style are these ARB chest fridge/freezer called? "Forced air unit" vs...

Vanaddict

Basically, the coils on the inner surface are what get cold, and you have to get the heat from the food to those coils, so things that conduct are helpful (water, metal cans) and things that insulate (foam, cardboard, plastic) hurt.

The ARB came with a metal basket inside. And nothing actually touches the white interior. If the entire white shell inside is one big coil, wouldn't it be more efficient to remove the bottom basket so things physically touch the bottom? (Like your soda can example).

Like in the attached photo20200414_102643.jpg

Grassland

Having an air gap around will cause a convection current to some extent.
The wall of the fridge will be cold and some items will be warmer the temp difference will cause air movement.

Even in a typical home fridge, stacking things too tightly and blocking airflow causes issues where some items don't stay the right temp.

Hoooogan

Leave that basket in there. It's great for spills as it somewhat elevates and holds all your food for MUCH easier cleanup. It also protects your cooling coil from abrasion, over time. Leave only a couple beers in the basket and go for a ride. Those cans get destroyed quick.

When I'm packing for bigger trips, I'll bring the basket in the house to load up. Then store it in the house fridge until I'm ready to go. Less battery drain if my truck isn't going anywhere for the days leading up to the trip. (I have three cars and I started working from home end of last year, so I can leave it for weeks)

NatersXJ6

Explorer
The ARB came with a metal basket inside. And nothing actually touches the white interior. If the entire white shell inside is one big coil, wouldn't it be more efficient to remove the bottom basket so things physically touch the bottom? (Like your soda can example).

Like in the attached photoView attachment 579582

keep the basket, as it makes up for in organization what it loses in direct efficiency.

theoretically though, it would probably operate at highest efficiency if it was full of a uniform fluid like water with no containers

that would be insane and impractical

as far as forced air vs other form factors... I have no idea what the official names for anything are, but I can tell you from tearing things apart that a typical home fridge has a fan to circulate air and the arb doesn’t.

you may be approaching the point where learning runs into overthinking. Just fill the thing with stuff that won’t make you sick if it gets a little too warm and start learning by experience!

have fun.

shade

If the entire white shell inside is one big coil,
I doubt it is.

The next time you have the fridge at room temperature, turn it on and feel the bottom and sides. You can also look at the sides to see where condensation forms. It may only cool on one side, which makes the need for an air gap for convection more apparent. I haven't felt the need, but I've seen a few people add a small fan to their fridge to stir up the cryo tanks air.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94